Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can perimenopause make you feel this ill? 💕  (Read 1148 times)

Unicorn

Can perimenopause make you feel this ill? 💕
« on: March 08, 2024, 09:31:23 AM »

Hi all, I'm having a bit of a meltdown because I feel so ill with this rollercoaster.

I'm 50 and been perimenopausal since about 44 and suffering with a throbbing face, pounding heart and nausea at the moment, coming in waves for days now 😕  I can hardly function.  I've had every heart and blood test known to man which doesn't show anything untoward.  It's making me feel really ill, wobbly and anxious.  I doesn't feel like anxiety but these physical symptoms make me feel anxious, if that makes sense.  I have had anxiety in the past but this feels different, more physical. 

I have tried 2 lots of HRT for a good number of months, but it just made me bleed on and off and I'm sure I felt worse on it.  I still have regular periods although they have changed a little.  I'm taking Fluoxetine which has helped but I'm at the end of my tether now as I don't want this to be the rest of my life, as I can't hardly function.

I've had a horrid few weeks with a severe migraine and vomiting, a cold and then I had Norovirus a week ago.... Oh and now I've got my period.  I just feel rotten xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can perimenopause make you feel this ill? 💕
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 09:54:22 AM »

Oh poor you, no wonder you feel rotten  :bighug:
And yes hormone upheaval can make us feel really really ill.

Remind me: why did you think that HRT would help, which symptom did you want to ease first?

R migraines usual 4 you? 

It may well be peri but U shouldn't have to put up with this.  When did you last see a Nurse Practitioner for a chat?  It's often quicker to make an appt than with a GP in many places . 

Is that facial throbbing continuous, in one area ...........

Unicorn

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 10:19:35 AM »

Hi CLKD 😘 thank you!

I tried the HRT to try and ease the pounding heart, hot face, and feel like 'me' 😕... And I feel an oddball that HRT doesn't work but seems to work for the majority of other ladies.  I have had migraines since I was about 11 😕

The facial flushing feeling like the blood is pumping from my heart, into and around my face, and the it gets hot sometimes and tingly.  I just feel stuck as I just lost the will to start dabbling in lotions and potions that seem to make me worse... I feel down too but I'm not sure if it because I feel so crappy day in day out.  If it's not the flushing face a pounding heart, it's something else xxxxx
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 10:21:32 AM by Unicorn »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 10:55:01 AM »

That mayB a hot flush variation.  There's no fast rule that makes us all the same. 

Have U had investigations regarding the migraines?  There is I believe recent medication that can help.  Some suffer cyclical. 

Thyroid function and VitD blood tests might be in order if U haven't had them in the last couple of years.  I don't think that U R alone.  It may be worth while getting a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic for advice.  Don't feel an 'oddball', I haven't required HRT and many find regimes difficult and sometimes, less than useful!

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 12:55:22 PM »

I'm sorry to hear you have been laid low with so many horrible bugs and on top of all the menopausal problems.

Peri menopause can make a lot of women feel quite ill.  It sounds like you badly need HRT but you have struggled to find the right one thus far.  What have you tried and at what dose?

HRT can be difficult to get right and the bleeding problems you mentioned would indicate that you need a new approach. Have you ever had a Mirena coil?  Do you have any problems with progesterone tolerance? 

HRT can make you feel dreadful if you take the wrong type at the wrong dose but when you do eventually get it right, it can be life changing.

Unicorn

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 02:32:46 PM »

Hi Mary G 😘 thank you!

I really feel stuck tbh, as I can't just face the prospect of chopping and changing anything as I don't want to make myself worse 😞 so silly, I know.  I feel with the Mirena that if it makes me anxious and depressed, it's not a quick fix to remove it.  I've had anxiety and depression in the past and I don't want to be fiddling xxx so stupid, I know xxxx
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 02:56:34 PM by Unicorn »

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 05:49:02 PM »

Hi yes it can make you feel very ill. I was floored by peri menopause both physically and mentally …. I was very ill ! Nobody knew what was wrong with me .

I struggled for many years but once I was on the right hrt I improved very quickly. x

Unicorn

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 05:52:13 PM »

Thank you Dotty ❤️ I just can't face the thought of these symptoms lasting for years or getting worse when my periods stop.  It frightens me as some ladies suffer much worse after their periods stop... And that frightens me to death xxxxx which HRT are you on Dotty? Xxx

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 07:09:15 PM »

Hi Unicorn I’m on Oestrogel and Utrogestan.

I totally understand what you mean by your physical symptoms making you feel anxious. My GPs kept saying I was depressed and I kept saying that yes, I was depressed, but it was the symptoms that were causing my depression not the other way round.

Which hrt have you tried ?

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 07:15:34 PM »

Forgot to say…..nausea was one of my worst symptoms.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 08:10:50 PM »

I had intense nausea for a few years, I knew in the town where every waste bin might be!  In case.

It's not silly at all Unicorn: when I had an eating disorder the thought of daring to eat something which might make me feel worse was difficult to over come.  Particularly as my digestive system was hungry  ::) but I didn't recognise it.

Have U stopped HRT completely? 

Minnie Mouse

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 10:26:16 PM »

Hello Unicorn, I'm sorry you're feeling so rough.
Sadly, the answer is yes, I've had phases where I felt like I was strapped uncomfortably to a dead animal,
and also times with pounding heart and terrible health anxiety.
If it's any consolation, it seems to go through phases, & you can feel well again.
Reach out for help...friends, family, medical, here!  ;)

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2024, 12:15:45 PM »

If you really are absolutely positive that you don't want to try HRT again then another option would be a (different?) antidepressant along with anxiety medication.  They mask the symptoms of menopause and should make you feel better.

You mentioned you had a bad migraine recently, was that with it without aura?  Do you have a history of migraines?  Migraines can become worse at menopause and if you are unlucky enough to have the same type as me ie silent migraines, they actually get worse post menopause.

To be absolutely honest, from what you have said, I think you should have another stab at HRT because you have very little to lose when you are feeling that ill.

Unicorn

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 10:22:38 AM »

Thank you so much all ♥️♥️♥️

Now yesterday, I felt so much better, in fact, virtually normal (as normal as I'll ever be 😁), it's the most strangest thing as it can chop and change throughout the day, even hour by hour, how bizarre is that??😁😁 ... I'd like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart.  I think I'll hold tight and not change anything for now as I
forget I do have periods of normality when I'm feeling dodgy xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 10:47:58 AM »

Enjoy those moments!  Hormone upheaval can certainly be bizarre.