Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Peri or not peri?  (Read 738 times)

Layla

• First Flush
Peri or not peri?
« on: March 06, 2024, 10:09:07 PM »

Hi,

I’d really appreciate some advice please.

I’m 43 and had a recent blood test which said that my oestrogen level was 92 p/mol (so pretty low). My GP got me to take another test two months later.. it’s now 232 p/mol. I understand that oestrogen can fluctuate a lot though so not sure how useful these tests are?

I’ve been experiencing lots of stiffness/joint pain, rage/increased anxiety, dry eyes, brain fog and some short term memory loss. Periods are still fairly regular (ish) but but very short with lots of spotting either side, with one exception of bleeding twice in one month a couple of months ago.

No hot flushes or sweats.

I have been under a lot of stress lately so maybe my other symptoms could be from that but I’m also wondering if I could be perimenopausal?

I would have considered HRT if that was the case but I don’t want to go on it if I’m not actually in perimenopause.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I’m not sure how else to proceed so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

L.

Hollyboll

Re: Peri or not peri?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 10:35:04 PM »

I’m a lot less expert than many here but

That all sounds pretty peri to me!

I missed years of peri symptoms because I didn’t have flushes or night sweats. In my defence, so did my useless GP.

I’ve since been told flushes/sweats are nowhere near the top of most common symptoms- they were just the thing patriarchal medical system latched into as ‘meno’ because they were the thing most obviously distinguishable from other causes eg MH.

See what others here say but if I had my time again, with many of those symptoms you describe, I’d give HRT a try.

Good luck x

Layla

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 12:19:59 AM »

Hey,

Ah thank you.. I think I’ll look into it a little more then.

Cheers for the reply! X

SadieLou

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 03:10:54 AM »

Welcome to peri, Layla!   ;D

The least of my symptoms is hot flashes.  Looking back, with the knowledge this forum has given me, I think I've been in peri for several years.  I just figured it out last year.  I figured it out when the hot flashes arrived last summer.  After reading here I found out all my other symptoms were peri (dry eyes, joint pain, anxiety, symptoms of va, etc etc).

Banjo1973

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 06:42:53 AM »

Hi Layla,

I would say confidently you are peri.

I know you are only 43, but if you are happy to try HRT there is really no point in waiting as things won't get any better! But the good news is thar symptoms like anxiety, skin dryness and memory issues can be resolved quite quickly.

HRT isn't for everyone but there are many different combinations to try if one doesn't suit.

I've been on HRT for 2.5 years now, it's not perfect, but it honestly gave me my life back.

Good luck xx
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 06:50:01 AM by Banjo1973 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 08:14:21 AM »

Morning.  Peri-menopause are the years leading up to the final bleed = menopause.

During these years as hormones rise and fall, women can notice and be affected by many different symptoms including hot flushes and higher levels of anxiety.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, skin, vagina and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Is there a particular stympok that you would like to ease Layla?  Browse round.  make notes, ask away.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 10:10:06 AM »

Sounds like peri to me too.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 09:51:24 PM »

Sounds like peri to me too.

Layla

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 10:51:13 PM »

Thanks all.. really appreciate the advice 👍 x

Pixie

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 06:18:30 AM »

Absolutely sounds like peri. I had similar symptoms from age 42. I'm now 46 and been on HRT for a year. I wish I'd started it at 42. The rage and irritability vanished after less than a week on it.