Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: When body hates oestrogen but symptoms of low oestrogen  (Read 11683 times)

KaraShannon

When body hates oestrogen but symptoms of low oestrogen
« on: November 30, 2023, 03:39:14 PM »

Hi all

I have a lot of symptoms of low oestrogen atm, mild prolapse symptoms mainly during the progesterone phase of the cycle (I'm on evorel sequi), I also really look older and rough during this phase though I feel better, usually, but really tired.

During the oestrogen phase I feel very headachy, sometimes even migraine, a feeling as though my heart can't keep up with my movements after sitting (a lot less than it was on higher oestrogen), yet I look a different person, honestly, plus the prolapse symptoms which thankfully are mild atm go away.

I can't use the vaginal oestrogen at all as it makes all these symptoms way worse, much worse than the patch.  Yet I need it.

What to do.  I may have to arrange seeing someone at the Newson Clinic, but it's just another thing to do in a long list of things with no time or energy  :(

perimeno

Re: When body hates oestrogen but symptoms of low oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 08:38:30 PM »

Hi KaraShannon

Im interested to hear how you got on with Newson Health regarding the headaches on Oestrogen?

KaraShannon

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 10:37:05 PM »

Hi Perimeno

I haven't been to them yet.  I was thinking of contacting them today but busy, so I may do it tomorrow or before the week is over.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 06:20:48 PM »

Interested in this. You could go to continuous patches? Sounds like the unopposed oestrogen in the first half of the cycle impacts here.

I’m similar and trying to find the right balance. Not on hrt at the moment xx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 05:44:00 PM »

Hi Karashannon

Sorry to hear about your woes but rest assured that your body does not hate oestrogen! You are a woman after all!!! It may be that you haven't found the right product at the right balance yet?

Are you peri or post-menopause - sorry have forgotten your story?

You mention the migraine and headachey feeling on the oestrogen phase. Have you noted down when in the two weeks that this occurs - to see if there is a pattern? I ask because, if you are post-menopausal then for a few days after changing from the combi (Evorel conti) patch back to the Evorel 50, you may well be experiencing classic progesterone withdrawal symptoms, which is much like pms, with headaches, migraine and irritability. I certainly experienced this when I first started HRT, which was Evorel sequi (16 years ago now!!). This can then be mistaken for not tolerating the oestrogen part of the patch when it is the withdrawal. If this is the case with you, then during the second week of oestrogen only, when the bleed has finished you should be feeling at your best - on the oestrogen only part. It's not a high dose.

Not saying this is the explanation for your symptoms but can be one reason.

It may also be that you haven't found the right way to get additional oestrogen into your body - because we are adding it exogenously ( from outside the body), in a way that is different from how we manufactured it when fertile during our reproductive years.

If you've been post-menopausal for a long time and your oestrogen levels are low, then maybe you are more sensitive to a sudden surge of oestrogen from the patch, and depending how long you've been on this regime, you might be able to halve the patch (I would perhaps have a paid e-mail consultation with Dr Currie if you're thinking of doing this - I know it is OK off licence for Evorel conti but not sure re Evorel sequi?) while your body adjusts, and then gradually move to a full patch.

Re vaginal oestrogen - there are quite a few different products available for you to try so I suggest you try each one say for at least a month and then ask to change if you're still getting adverse effects. Once you've completed the loading period of 2-3 weeks (ie daily use of the vaginal oestrogen product) then there is very little systemic absorption as the vaginal tissues are plumped up and at the licensed doses oestrogen levels stay within the post-menopausal range. If you are already taking systemic HRT then the change in systemic levels will be negligible, though you could be affected by the carriers in the vaginal oestrogen products.

You should not need to go for an expensive private consultation, especially if you have not time or energy, as there is so much available on NHS.

I hope you manage to resolve this so that you feel better.

All the best

Hurdity x

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 01:23:19 PM »

Hurdity, thanks so much for this, I think progesterone withdrawal might be what's happening. 

I am working so only had a quick scan, I'll read and digest and reply properly later.  Thank you  :)