Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Just want to talk to someone  (Read 32934 times)

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Just want to talk to someone
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 07:43:30 PM »

I went to Shrewsbury. I know its not as far as New York, but first night there I cried and cried.  :'( same the next day. Wouldn't eat, or participate. 
I just wanted to go home.
The teacher rang my parents. All was ready for my dad to come and pick me up, when the day arrived, (by then I'd settled in, & made friends). I changed my mind and said I wanted to stay.  ;D
It turned out to be the best week away with my school ever!  ;D

All I'm saying is , ...hopefully it'll turn out the same for your son.
Doesn't stop you worrying tho.

Xx

Blot

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 08:30:09 PM »

Oh it’s heartbreaking and unbearable when your child is upset or unhappy. I can fully relate.
Have you heard from him yet?
New York can be overwhelming. It’s like nowhere else but once he gets over the tiredness and travel I’m sure he will be ok.

Dawnkelly1976

• First Flush
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 05:53:40 AM »

Thank you all so much for your kind replies and support. You’ve made me feel so much more less anxious about it.
No you’re right no one tells you how hard it is when they’re older. I’m happy to say he seems to be settling in better. After a better nights sleep of 7pm to 5am, wish I could sleep like that. And figuring out the disgusting breakfast menu he can actually ask for them to take out what he doesn’t like and add something he does, he had an egg bagel without the egg but added bacon.
His messages sounded happier, funny how you can tell just by the words they use.
I totally agree with being out of your comfort zone, it’s good to experience different thing even if you’re not so sure about it, it helps you learn how to cope with different things in this big and very scary world we live in. Maybe he’ll appreciate the holidays to the Lake District and not quite as boring as he thought they were  ;D
Thank you again so much.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 09:33:16 AM by Dawnkelly1976 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2024, 08:10:24 AM »

The Lakes are lovely and if parents are paying what's not to like  ::)

Tnx for the update.  Tiredness can certainly make the World look different  >:(.    How R U feeling?

Minusminnie

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 09:01:11 AM »

Mention of the Lake District & not liking food offered ….i used to pack Kendal mint cake for my kids on their trips away in case they couldn’t eat the food where they were going. It became a family oh no ! and “we’re not going to Everest “but was used at times.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 09:03:13 AM by Minusminnie »

Dawnkelly1976

• First Flush
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 09:40:57 AM »

Clkd I’m feeling better thank you. Not feeling the urge to go rescue him anymore  ;D
Keeping my self busy and I’m at work all weekend. It’s already Thursday so by the time works over as itll be a busy one it’ll be Sunday and that will be a week gone. He’s got a busy day when he wakes up with a trip to the museum of modern art and then a broadway show this evening.

littleminnie

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 03:52:05 PM »

New York is so so busy. We went in May and it was rammed. Loved it though.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 04:48:07 PM »

Kendal mint cake   :sick02:  :-X  ;D

Small pieces of Mars bar or thick fruit cake also.  Many years ago we had walked in the Lakes and saw a woman alone sitting.  We approached her, it seemed that her blood sugars had dropped so we gave her some cake.  Her partner had gone on, leaving her there!  Fortunately it was a fine day.  The 3 of us walked to the nearest Pub where she bought a cuppa, B4 going across the Bar ........ I don't think that they were going 2 B partners for much longer, she returned to our table with a smile ;-). Criky.  I meander  ::)

Glad that you are keeping busy Dawnkelly!

Jules

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2024, 07:51:15 PM »

Clkd I’m feeling better thank you. Not feeling the urge to go rescue him anymore  ;D
Keeping my self busy and I’m at work all weekend. It’s already Thursday so by the time works over as itll be a busy one it’ll be Sunday and that will be a week gone. He’s got a busy day when he wakes up with a trip to the museum of modern art and then a broadway show this evening.

Lucky boy. I'd swap places with him. I love New York. It's just what it says on the tin

getting_old

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 07:56:32 PM »

It was probably overwhelming for him, and for you, but once he had a chance to adapt I hope he's having an amazing time. I would have loved to do that at his age. All we got was a trip to London, a grotty hotel and the teachers trying to hide their hangovers.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2024, 08:34:50 PM »

;D. we had day trips.  The School pupils did 3 sponsored walks to buy a mini-bus: day trips to Derbyshire - twice; an evening trip to Norwich Theatre to see 'Hansel and Gretel' - in German  ::).  It also took us to Music competitions to perform with the band and choir against other County groups: as well as to/from the swimming baths 15 miles away.  Every Friday afternoon it was to the local town to see a classical musician which I loved. 

The school went to Bruges for 7 nights, via the Channel.  People really do turn green  :o.  As well as a trip to Switzerland ....... then I had to get a proper job  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2024, 08:03:42 PM »

?? updates ??

Dawnkelly1976

• First Flush
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2024, 10:31:54 AM »

Hi Everyone. Thank you all again for your kind words and stories of trips away.
Well it’s been a week since he arrive in New York feeling tired,hungry,anxious and overwhelmed. And mum at home just wanting to do what mums do and protect their babies. But I am happy to say he’s much more settled and enjoying a full and packed itinerary of Central Park, The Met, Museum of Modern Art, Shopping, Radio City Hall, NBC studio tour, 911 ground zero, Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Ellis island and Statue of Liberty and a few more to go. He will come home ready for a roast dinner and a week of sleep with a suitcase full of laundry and a whole load of amazing memories. Whether travel will be something he wants to do again or maybe not for him I’m so pleased he’s found his own way through and I am very proud of him ❤️❤️❤️

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2024, 01:21:49 PM »

PHEW - better get out and buy extra Persil laundry tablets ....... get the slow cooker going and a hot water bottle in his bed ;-).  That initial 'want to come home' anxiety can be awful. 

How R U feeling  ;)

Dawnkelly1976

• First Flush
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2024, 03:42:44 PM »

I’m good thank you clkd. Missing him lots, it’s very quiet but it’s good to have some time with my younger son. And I’ve actually got leftover milk and bread. It normally only lasts a day or so 😂😂
Pages: 1 [2] 3