Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena pain and difficulties with walking / movement  (Read 11688 times)

shrosphirelass

Mirena pain and difficulties with walking / movement
« on: April 07, 2024, 04:01:12 PM »

I had a mirena fitted 2 weeks ago and have had cramping which has been easing. The bleeding is ongoing but has reduced a bit. Yesterday I had a very sharp pain right side low down which worsens with any movement. After I have sat for some time it really hurts to get up or move. I managed to get some sleep last night with the aid of a hot water bottle and it felt better this morning than last night. However, again after sitting for an hour I found any movement really painful.

Does this seem normal? I seem to get a bit better walking after I have been going a bit which is really weird. Just wondering if this is the mirena or something else going on. I'm feeling really anxious.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 04:08:47 PM by shrosphirelass »

shrosphirelass

Re: Mirena pain and difficulties with walking / movement
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 04:09:49 PM »

Just updated today

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 04:47:52 PM »

Call your surgery and speak to someone in you can.  The nurse told me to do that if I was worried about anything before my six week check.

I did have some occasional quite sharp pains for a bit but for me they turned out to be wind on every occasion! 😬  This stopped after a week or so.

Can you feel the strings of the coil?  I checked mine a few times to reassure myself it was still in the right place.  Hope things improve for you very soon. xx

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 04:48:23 PM »

Sorry I don't know the answer but it doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps ring the doctor? Is it possible it's a pulled muscle?

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 05:00:07 PM »

Is the pain always on the same side? I've never had a mirena but could it possibly have moved? I agree with comments above, you should probably get this checked out and not wait for the 6 week check.

Northerngirl

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 05:15:29 PM »

Hi Shropshirelass, I'm sorry I don't have any experience of the mirena but I tend to agree with the others....if it's affecting your life so much it might be worth ringing your GP surgery and speaking to  somebody.
 Is it too late to ring the hospital now where you had your procedure done?

Hope you're feeling better soon x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 10:10:32 AM »

Thanks all. It's a bit better today so I'm hoping its either that I tweaked a muscle like you queried Sheila99 or just one of those things.

Penguin The pain does always seem to be on the same side except for a few generalised cramps. Initially it was higher up than it is now as its very low down.

Dazed and confused interesting what you say about the wind, this seems to be an issue for me too! Do you think it's a side effect of the mirena or just getting used to it? I haven't checked the strings, don't know how and am a bit squeamish about it (I know that's silly)

If it's still bad tomorrow I'll call the assessment unit.

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 10:31:50 AM »

Thanks all. It's a bit better today so I'm hoping its either that I tweaked a muscle like you queried Sheila99 or just one of those things.

Penguin The pain does always seem to be on the same side except for a few generalised cramps. Initially it was higher up than it is now as its very low down.

Dazed and confused interesting what you say about the wind, this seems to be an issue for me too! Do you think it's a side effect of the mirena or just getting used to it? I haven't checked the strings, don't know how and am a bit squeamish about it (I know that's silly)

If it's still bad tomorrow I'll call the assessment unit.

The wind certainly started a couple of days after the fitting and then eased off greatly about a week or two later so it seemed to be connected somehow but I'm not sure how!  It was very painful - sharp pains - but then once the wind had been released  ;D the pain went... until the next time.

Re the strings - I had a leaflet explaining how to check them.  You're not being silly at all about checking them, the nurse who fitted mine said if I didn't want to do that, not to worry at all, she would check them at six weeks or before if I was anxious about anything. 

I've just found some info about checking strings online, it's not what I was given but the info is pretty much the same.  https://www.uhcw.nhs.uk/download/clientfiles/files/Checking%20your%20coil%20threads%20after%20having%20a%20Mirena%20or%20copper%20coil.pdf

Lastly, if in doubt about anything ring and speak to someone sooner rather than later.  They are used to this and will be able to put your mind at ease. If you're like me, it's easy to spiral yourself into a panic when sometimes a 10 second call can sort it all out.  Sending best wishes.  :bighug:

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 07:41:34 PM »

Thanks Dazedandconfused, much appreciated