Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which is more consistent - gel or patch?  (Read 1068 times)

Scampidoodle

Which is more consistent - gel or patch?
« on: March 03, 2024, 05:35:35 PM »

Hi I wondered if anyone has had any experience with patches and oestrogel in terms of which has a more consistent dosing?

I’m ultra sensitive to oestrogen, even my own. Tried Estradot patches but ended up coming off after a few months. Following having covid I could even feel a boost in oestrogen (via jittery anxiety) on patch change day!

Trying a tiny amount of gel now, literally tiny. But I feel a boost of jittery anxiety about 20-30 mins after each application each morning. Seems to last at most 2 hrs but it’s horrid.

Wondering if patches would be better and whether gel gives you a big hit each morning compared to a patch?

I’ve been prescribed evorel so I can cut them smaller. I only need a tiny dose of oestrogen. I have histamine and mast cell issues so I cannot take a high dose at all.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:13:16 PM by Scampidoodle »

Moonshine54

Re: Which is more consistent - gel or patch?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 06:09:46 PM »

Hi Scamp
I found the gel too much for me . However i guess you could use a small amount.  The patches work well for me..
Moon

Scampidoodle

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 06:17:12 PM »

Hi too much in what way? I’m glad you’re better on patches! X

sfreesto

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 08:07:40 PM »

I’m definitely better and more level on patches - Estradot 100 mg. With gel I would feel jittery in the morning after using and then by evening I was getting a flushed face and aching legs, even though I was on 4 pumps/day.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 08:11:31 PM »

Yes that’s what I’m getting! The jittery anxiety!

When you have a patch change do you feel any sort of boost on that day?

I don’t know if it’s me being ultra sensitive. I know you must have some left in your system from the old patch and then get a boost from the new one. But I also know it’s not common to feel it!! Seems to be an issue since I had covid in December

Thankyou x

Shorty Pants

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 09:16:32 PM »

I haven't tried gel, but like you I'm extremely sensitive to many medications, including oestrogen.
I'm currently cutting up evorel 25 patches and using 1/6 patch.
I've found that if I change this daily, I can avoid any ups and downs. I put a bit of tegaderm film over the top to help adherence.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 10:04:50 PM »

That’s very interesting! I was considering cutting the evorel up into 1/8 of a patch!

Can I ask how you ended up down this road? Feel free to pm me if you would prefer.

I liked Estradot but it’s too small to cut up.

Does the Evorel not stick on very well?

Arya Underfoot

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 05:11:34 AM »

I've recently switched from gel to patches. My doctor told me the gel is an immediate release and the patches are slow release. The gel gives you more options with the dosing but you are getting an immediate hit of oestrogen, which can be too much for some of us, especially if you are on a high dose, that's why I've switched to patches. The problem with patches is the availability and how well they stick, plus you are very limited to the doses available. It's still early days for me with the patches but I do think I prefer them to the gel.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 08:39:12 AM »

Thanks Arya. I’m on tiny dose but do certainly feel that hit! I might change to patches again but a different sort. I can’t cut Estradot smaller than a quarter but I’ll have a go with Evorel!

Vicky81

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 10:04:58 AM »

Hi Scampidoodle

Going by my previous posts you will see that i too struggle with the jittery physical anxiety feel - i hate his feeling its by far the worst.

I found the gel too messy and the patch has been by far the best - but dont do what I did - up the patch to the full 75!!! I always went up slowly - cutting my 75 patch down to around 60 - 63 - 65 - seems to work well alongside Yasmin pill (to hopefully stop or reduce fluctuations) To note - 50 patch was too low for me.

My advice would be to go very slowly on the patches, but give each dose around 2 weeks to settle  - if still very jittery its too high xxx

Scampidoodle

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 10:27:14 AM »

Thanks and yes I agree the jittery anxiety is the worst. Doom, dread, fear! About literally nothing!

Scampidoodle

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 10:29:47 AM »

I haven't tried gel, but like you I'm extremely sensitive to many medications, including oestrogen.
I'm currently cutting up evorel 25 patches and using 1/6 patch.
I've found that if I change this daily, I can avoid any ups and downs. I put a bit of tegaderm film over the top to help adherence.

I’ve just measured out a full pump of gel and compared to the pump I do and it’s approx 1/6 of a pump! So very similar dose to you shorty. I press the pump down and when you do it stops slightly before you then press more heavily to get the full pump going. I do this initial tiny pump to get 1/6.

My evorel is in the post but I’ll give the gel a couple more days to see if it’s an initial issue or longer term xx

kathryn22

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 10:42:28 AM »

It’s amazing
My GP said there was no way the oestrogen cream was causing my crippling anxiety as it was being applied internally and not via my whole system I just couldn’t understand why I’d turned into a pathetic crying trembling mess after a couple of weeks and now reading these posts I really believe it’s the meds I was on Estraderm patches for years with no problems but my gp took me off and I went into a horrible menopause for years and never been right since Problem is I don’t seem to be able to clear my system now The atrophy is just as bad the anxiety isn’t going despite medication for it and on and on it goes Such ignorance from the medics

Scampidoodle

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 12:14:54 PM »

That’s awful for you. Why did they take you off estraderm?

Penguin

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 12:29:24 PM »

I also find the gel gives a hit when I apply it in the morning, but also that it wears off overnight and it feels like it has run out at certain times of the month before the 6am application. I am interested about the patches now if they are slow release as they might enable me to do a really low dose of estrogen but it be released consistently. Are they bio identical as well?
Pages: [1] 2