Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which is more consistent - gel or patch?  (Read 1064 times)

SarahT

Re: Which is more consistent - gel or patch?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 12:51:33 PM »

Hey Penguin

My understanding is all oestrogen forms of hrt  are bio identical, avoiding anything that begins with Prem, as these are derived from horses urine.

This was something I needed clarifying from my drs prior to commencing any form of hrt due to my personal ethics.

Hope someone with  more definite knowledge can confirm this is the case ?

Scampidoodle

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 01:58:10 PM »

I also find the gel gives a hit when I apply it in the morning, but also that it wears off overnight and it feels like it has run out at certain times of the month before the 6am application. I am interested about the patches now if they are slow release as they might enable me to do a really low dose of estrogen but it be released consistently. Are they bio identical as well?

What do you feel with the hit, Penguin?
I’m also wondering re the patch giving more consistency. No big hit. Just need to figure out if I can cut it up very small!

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 07:40:06 PM »

Yes pretty much all bio-identical. Some of the tablet oestrogen is estradiol valerate but this is quickly metabolised into estradiol so is bio-identical to all intents and purposes. All patches and gels are estradiol.

Scampidoodle - I agree with others that patches are more stable. I only used gel for a couple of months but stopped not because of getting a hit, but because my flushes came back - so I've pretty much used patches for the whole 16 years I've been on HRT, and most of the time on much the same dose.

Re cutting up patches - I have found that nothing sticks quite so well as the edge of the patch as it is made - once you start cutting it, I find the edges begin to peel off a bit more especially the pointy bits. For the last few years I've been cutting about 12.5 mcg off from the Evorel to give me approx 62.5 mcg, but the cut edges can come away a bit - though I regularly have a feel to make sure it's stuck down!

I've tried 4 brands of patch and I would say that Evorel sticks the best though I can't remember about Elleste Solo. The one that sticks  ;D in my mind is Estraderm which is MAHOOSIVE and was like going round with a plastic bag stuck to my backside! So if you're after one that you can cut up practically into more manageable smaller pieces for a more consistent dose, than tiny slivers of patch - then that's the one! And - it does come in a 25 mcg dose :) .

Hurdity x

Scampidoodle

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 08:04:55 PM »

Thankyou hurdity

sfreesto

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 08:22:27 PM »

I never have a hit when I change my patch, I just feel the same all the time. I’m so pleased I changed from gel to Estradot.
Pages: 1 [2]