Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Age 60. Recently started Oestrogel. Ready to give up with it  (Read 634 times)

N5ECY

Age 60. Recently started Oestrogel. Ready to give up with it
« on: March 03, 2024, 02:44:05 PM »

Hi everyone. I started oestrogel 1.25 x 2 pumps in January after 8 years of no sleep following oopherectomy. I had hysterectomy 20 years ago. I'm 60 so dr was reluctant. Also bad anxiety. Had a bad year last year losing my mum and other stuff so getting over that.  Initially felt great. Anxiety lifted. Night sweats have stopped but I'm having side effects. Skin feels like it's burning in random places. Itchy scalp, sore boobs and down below feels weird. I'm really struggling tbh. Was thinking of asking gp to change to patches as years ago was not too bad on Evorel or just stopping hrt altogether. I'd appreciate your thoughts ladies. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Age 60. Recently started Oestrogel. Ready to give up with it
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 04:06:41 PM »

Hi.  If Evorel helped then I would ask for it ........ also why your GP is reluctant due to your age, did he/she explain why  :-\

Itchiness can be due to a drop in oestrogen.  It may be that there is a tiny piece of ovary left attached, enough to generate hormones  ::)

If your GP is reluctant then do ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic as there are waiting lists.  When an appt is sent U can cancel if symptoms have improved.

As for 'down below', it mayB vaginal atrophy for which there is replacement.  The idea being to use 'vagifem' for example every night for 2-3 weeks to plump up the vaignal walls.  Some also use 'ovestin' on the outer labia but some GPs are 'funny' - thinking that we can 'overdose'  ::) so won't prescribe both!

Let us know how you get on.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 04:36:46 PM »

I got sore breasts when I first started Oestrogel but it settled down. How do you mean about feeling weird down below? If you don't mean soreness it is probably the estrogen plumping up the tissues. I remember feeling differently at first in the same area.

N5ECY

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 04:59:01 PM »

Thanks for your replies. Gp said they don't normally prescribe after 60!!! Down below feels dry and sore. Never ever had a problem there. Had no ovaries for 8 years. Its only since I started Oestrogel. I just don't feel right. Keep getting burning skin in different random places. Almost as if I've put some of that Deepheat stuff on. I wonder with going so long without oestrogen my body's in shock. I honestly feel like stopping it and plodding on with the night sweats. I'll perhaps ring the gp in the morning. Thanks

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 05:16:51 PM »

If you've been without oestrogen for some time the normal advice is to start slowly and work up if you need to. I would reduce to 1 pump and see how you feel on that (that would be the more usual starting dose some years post meno), you can even try half a pump if 1 is too much. Do you think the skin burning is an allergic reaction? If it is you should ask for something different. Is it worse where you apply it? I'm allergic to evorel patches but I only got a reaction at the patch site. If your doc tries to stop hrt because of your age you might refer him to the NICE guidelines that used to day stop at 60 but there is now no age limit. Trans dermal is so much safer than the old horse urine oral type.

Moonshine54

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 06:07:46 PM »

Hi
I think we are all different. I use evorel patches but struggled with oestrogel. I felt it a surge after using it but a dip later in day. I find evorel patches give a more even dose. X

N5ECY

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 06:16:31 PM »

Thanks for replies. The burning skin is on my hips and back mainly. Very strange. I think I'll do what you say. Reduce to half or 1 pump and perhaps try Evorel. I do think that maybe being without oestrogen for so long and then starting it may be the problem. Thanks again. Such a wonderful website.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 08:28:23 PM »

Do U have a rash ? shingles in that area?  the herpes virus runs down a nerve route.  If it's present in the morning then get yourself to a pharmacist as there are anti-viral medications, the sooner taken the better.  It will also give you a diagnosis.  Let us know?

N5ECY

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 08:58:38 PM »

No I don't but I'll keep an eye on it.  I have had shingles in the past though. Thank you