Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Daft question alert  (Read 583 times)

Charleyfarley

Daft question alert
« on: March 03, 2024, 07:32:44 PM »

Hey ladies…

This is one of the questions you know you should know the answer to but just don’t 🤯 and wording it to search on google is a madness in itself 😂

When we get a period what is the dominant force that brings the pre sweats, sore breast, acne, tummy ache and all the signs you know it is coming? Is it estrogen or progesterone?

I ask because I’m having a 2 week bleed (in Peri - never had a period for this long either) and for the first time ever I have no other symptoms…so strange. I’m cold (usually boiling pre-period) dry skin (usually spotty pre-period) small boobs (usually huge) patient (usually monstrous 😂) and the list goes on….very strange..

Whatever usually surges to bring a period looks like it’s not bothered this time around..just brought the period 🤷‍♀️ very light though, Infact only on wiping really…odd

Donna69

Re: Daft question alert
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 08:17:30 PM »

I have just gone 5 months without one and just had a two week period but if you have been a while without one I guess there’s a build up to shed I had a few signs like sore boobs but nothing like the pmt I used to get just think it’s all to do with change.I think it’s progesterone that causes the pmt symptoms

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 08:26:03 PM »

Interesting query: I've never known which hormone controlled each part of my cycle, never thought about it during my menstruating years: from age 11 to : can't remember  ::)

I do know that symptoms throughout the month were 'normal' for me and cyclic.  In the week prior to a bleed I would feel nauseous = belatedness; 24 hours B4 I would be really really thirsty.  In my later years 10 mins B4 a bleed I would have 'the runs' regardless of whether a period was due/not.

Charleyfarley

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 08:31:17 PM »

Aaaah Donna 5 months!!! Gggrrr I bet you were hoping you’d nearly cracked it 😭 aaah so that’s interesting if it’s the progesterone that may cause the symptoms…I just don’t seem to have had any! I mean, I’m not complaining but as always I’m looking for the why and we know there isn’t always a why in this crazy stage!

CKLD it is interesting isn’t it, and I’m exactly the same with the thirsty build up and the running to the loo!!!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 08:32:05 PM »

After 20+ years without a bleed I still occasionally get symptoms which makes me think "Oh NOT after all this time!"

Arya Underfoot

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 05:00:15 AM »

For me it was the oestrogen, I think your progesterone levels usually drop before a period. I used to take progesterone cream to relieve PMT symptoms before peri. It may just be a result of fluctuating hormones, so maybe they're both to blame. I had my first pimple in nearly a year when I started a high dose oestrogen patch. Acne, sore boobs and pelvic pain were always the indicators a period was coming for me. I also experienced extremely sore breasts when I took a high dose of progesterone. So who knows? Not a daft question at all.

Charleyfarley

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 08:49:18 AM »

Ah thank you Anya…♥️

I’m going to see my lovely practice nurse today to get a blood test, it’s been about a year and a half since the last one…think I’m gonna get some checks downstairs aswell just to check all is ok…spotting for 2 weeks freaks me a little…especially with no pmt symptoms…I’m the queen of pmt, suffer with PMDD so I’m usually raging when I’m on…completely calm and no symptoms but bleeding when I wipe for 2 weeks and a day now 😭xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 09:34:27 AM »

It's probably vaginal atrophy, if there is a show then mayB the tissues are thin.  Ask for treatment anyway it won't do any harm and may well stave off worsening of symptoms.