Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Return of symptoms?  (Read 1268 times)

Lurcherlass

• First Flush
Return of symptoms?
« on: February 28, 2024, 01:17:19 PM »

Good afternoon ladies. It has been many years since I last posted on here. The support back in 2011 was tremendous, and I am so thankful that I found this site. Anyway, move forward 12+ years, and after using Evorel Conti patches for about 5 years, I felt I was able to cope on my own, and that the worst was over. What is bizarre, and I wanted to check with you all, is now at 66 years old, I have noticed a few bodily changes, and I apologise if it's too much information, but my labia minora has literally disappeared overnight, so much so, that I can't pee straight anymore!! Along with this I have been getting the return of a few hot flushes, and night time anxiety again, what the hell is going on, can the drop in oestrogen go even lower, even after 6 - 8 years?!!

I am coming out of a virus, and was told that it can mimic the hot flushes, anxiety etc, but has anyone else has a similar set of symptoms at all? Really weird! Many thanks. Ruth. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Return of symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 04:31:51 PM »

Hi.  Lovely to hear from you.  R U continuing with the Evorel Conti?

Yep - our vulval area can alter in shape.  It may be time to consider vaginal atrophy treatment the idea being to insert the product into the vagina every night for 2-3 weeks then as necessary.  Some ladies require it every night, others manage symptoms every 3rd and 5/6th nights for example. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out, which includes the vagina.  'vagifem' and/or 'ovestin' are prescribed which will help to plump up the vaginal walls.  The levels can continue to drop for ages, sometimes in fits and starts  ::)

Covid-19 was certainly reported as causing hormonal upheaval, in that some women reported bleeds years after the periods had stopped.  Anxiety may be caused due to a lack of sustenance too!

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 04:56:28 PM »

Hi Lurcherlass. Welcome back.

It's upsetting seeing our vaginas return to almost prepubescent state isn't it. Am I right in thinking from your post that you've stopped HRT? If so then what's happening is a natural, though upsetting, occurrence. Even though you are post meno oestrogen levels continue to drop as we get older. Good advice from CLKD re vaginal atrophy. Would you consider HRT again? I'm still on full HRT plus vagifem at 70.

Taz x

Lurcherlass

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 07:26:13 AM »

Goodness! CKLD and Taz2, how lovely that you are both on the forum still, how the years have gone by!! And so good that you are both still able to give lots of knowledgeable advice.I

Yes, I stopped Evorel Conti some years ago, and given the state of my GP surgery now, my lovely menopause doctor having left, and the "non access" to other GPs, I don't hold out much hope of getting anything else on the NHS. I live in West Dorset where womens' health clinics are non existent. I do, however, still have Vagifem on my list of medication, so I am starting that again, perhaps one a day for a week. I had forgotten that they in themselves do cause some discomfort, but they are good for me, eventually! I don't expect to return to my "pre pensioners self" but was shocked to think things were still changing.

Lovely to hear from you both again. Maybe better weather would be a good start!!

Many thanks. Ruth.