Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT patch intolerance  (Read 747 times)

sooper_cooper

HRT patch intolerance
« on: March 01, 2024, 10:51:35 AM »

Hi I am looking at the history of my HRT journey and am wondering if I’m actually having a reaction to patches. I am getting morning anxiety and nausea. Does anyone have an experience like that? I switched to patches from gel and within a month I had those symptoms. Then a month later it was increased to a higher patch. I started to feel better, then completely crashed again. It’s weird.

Hurdity

Re: HRT patch intolerance
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 10:40:17 AM »

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

It may depend whether you are peri or post-menopausal and how old you are? On the face of it, it sounds like something to do with the oestrogen dose you are getting and how you absorb patches and gel differently. What dose and brand of gel and patches have you been using? If you are still peri also, there will be fluctuations in hormones due to your natural cycle which will override the HRT and could cause the symptoms you describe. Nausea can occur with sudden high increase in oestrogen, like in pregnancy, but usually settles eventually. However if fluctuating then it will keep occurring with changes in your own cycle.

Hurdity x

sooper_cooper

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 05:40:33 PM »

Hi I am 51 and I take the pill so I don’t know where I am but I think mid menopause. Been on HRT since 2020. Then this happened in December.
Maybe it’s the transition from peri to meno? How long could it go on for? Should it even out  with the right dosage?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 08:57:41 PM »

Hi sooper-cooper

What contraceptive pill are you taking?

What type and dose of gel did you taker?

What type and dose of patches did you start with and what dose are you on now?

The answers you give will help us advise you better on what's causing your symptoms.

As I said before, an increase in oestrogen can temporarily cause nausea but this should settle.

Hurdity x

sooper_cooper

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 08:19:55 PM »

I am on Desogestrel 75microgram daily. The gel was 2mg, I was on 50mg patches, increased to 75 on 24 January which took effect after 2 weeks. Then I had 10 days feeling absolutely fine, then it all crashed in again. Same symptoms. Morning anxiety and nausea.
Now due to start on 100 patches . Hoping it will help.

sooper_cooper

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 12:23:45 PM »

I started taking 200 mg progesterone and I feel terrible. No energy. Waking up 3.30 am nauseous and anxious. More anxious than before. Should I continue or not? Will it get easier?

sooper_cooper

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 10:55:14 AM »

I went back to taking 100 mg progesterone and this helped. Been given different type to try. Hopefully will help. I have stopped taking progesterone for 2 nights and been fine in the mornings. Will try new one tonight and see what happens. If symptoms come back maybe try taking it in the morning.

Any thoughts?