Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Asthma made worse by HRT  (Read 654 times)

Lynney

• First Flush
Asthma made worse by HRT
« on: March 01, 2024, 08:06:33 AM »

So I’ve been using Oestrogel and Utrogestan and my asthma of 40 years has suddenly got a lot worse. Reading bits here and there, I see it can be a side effect. Anyone else had this….does it settle?

TJ1313

Re: Asthma made worse by HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 04:06:03 PM »

My Asthma seems to be worse too, I'm on the patch and utrogestan plus the mini pill. I thought it was allergies but antihistamines dont help, I'm not sure what is is. I've seen people mention histamine intolerance but I thought that was because of progesterone, I dont know whats going on, I don't like it though, harldly ever used inhalers to now being on preventer inhalers.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 06:01:43 PM »

I think the patient info leaflet with my Everol 50 mentions asthma. The Asthma and Lung Foundation also says in some women it can make asthma worse https://www.asthmaandlung.org.uk/conditions/asthma/asthma-triggers/female-sex-hormones-and-asthma

Taz x

TJ1313

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 07:15:04 PM »

Thank you for that I will have a read, I'm on Evorel patches too x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 07:20:20 PM »

Certainly I had difficulty in drawing deep breaths at certain times of the month, sorry can't remember where about in the cycle I might have been.  As well as intense thirst following the bloated feelings which impacted on breathing.  Let us know how you get on and it might be worth reporting on the Yellow Card system.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 11:16:05 AM »

This is from the latest patient info leaflet for Evorel 50. Asthma is on the list

Tell your doctor if you have ever had any of the following problems, before you start the treatment, as
these may return or become worse during treatment with Evorel. If so, you should see your doctor
more often for check-ups:
• fibroids inside your womb;
• growth of womb lining outside your womb (endometriosis) or a history of excessive growth of the
womb lining (endometrial hyperplasia);
• increased risk of developing blood clots (see “Blood clots in a vein (thrombosis)”);
• increased risk of getting an oestrogen-sensitive cancer (such as having a mother, sister or
grandmother who has had breast cancer);
• high blood pressure;
• a liver disorder, such as a benign liver tumor;
• diabetes;
• gallstones;
• migraine or severe headaches;
• a disease of the immune system that affects many organs of the body (systemic lupus erythematosus,
SLE);
• epilepsy;
• asthma;
• a disease affecting the eardrum and hearing (otosclerosis);
• a very high level of fat in your blood (triglycerides);
• fluid retention due to cardiac or kidney problems;
• hereditary and acquired angioedema;
• mastopathy.

Taz x

Lynney

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 04:34:28 PM »

Update:
I stopped for a while but then GP said I needed to give it more time and to use utrogestan vaginally. So here I am, I still think my asthma is worse but I’m hanging in there until August.

TJ1313

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 05:45:59 PM »

I stopped all HRT a couple of months ago and feel great which is weird but brilliant, and no more constant asthma symptoms and using preventer inhalers, obviously estrogen is not for me x Hope you get on ok, keep us posted xx