Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Feeling upset and worried re hysteroscopy  (Read 892 times)

shrosphirelass

Feeling upset and worried re hysteroscopy
« on: February 29, 2024, 11:55:29 AM »

As some of you will know I had a transvaginal scan and as soon as I got home was rung by the consultant to tell me I needed an urgent hysteroscopy and biopsy. I got an appointment through about 10 days later which typically was when we are away on holiday. I rang and they said as it was urgent they would reschedule for the following week.

After a week passed I rang the hospital and was told they were waiting for an available date. I have just rung again a week later and been told the first date is not until 9th April. The woman I spoke to said she couldn't understand why the appointment hadn't been actioned as soon as they were informed about the cancellation as it was urgent. It will have been 9 weeks since my scan.

If I hadn't rung I don't think I would have heard at all. I am stiing here very tearful about the further wait. Trying to console myself with some stat someone put up that women who are on HRT have a low incidence of cancer.  I was advised to ring twice a week in case of cancellations but she said they were at full capacity at the moment.

Mary G

Re: Feeling upset and worried re hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 01:02:28 PM »

I'm sorry to hear you have been messed about. If you can afford it, I would definitely seek private treatment because it's too long to be left in limbo like that and they sound pretty incompetent.

Most women who use HRT and have a thick womb lining do NOT have cancer.  Much depends on how much progesterone you take and where you are in your cycle if you have one.  The NHS seem to automatically panic of a woman goes over the 5mm threshold without taking HRT use into account.  It seems to be the latest thing.

Can you remind me why you need this biopsy? Is it just because you were slightly over 5mm or is there another reason?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 02:06:08 PM »

This is what I found on one of the NHS trust website. I have a Mirena and was worried about some very light spotting.

PMB is a cardinal symptom of endometrial cancer and does require further investigation. Approximately
10% of women up to 60 years of age presenting and referred with post-menopausal bleeding have
endometrial cancer and this rises to 13% over the age of 60. For women with HRT presenting with PMB or
unscheduled bleeding this risk falls to 1%

I really hope you get your scan soon.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 08:51:09 PM »

Thank you for your kind words.

MaryG. What concerned me was that the consultant rang me himself directly after the scan to say he was concerned. He said I had a thickened lining (I didn't think to ask how thick) which he said may be due to HRT but there was also fluid and this was suggestive of cancer.

My husband who is very supportive but always thinks on the bright side doesn't see the issue. After all I was reluctant to go for the scan in the first place as I had been that road so many times beforeand had the allclear 7 months ago. So he feels a few weeks wait is neither here or there in the general scheme of things. I have been feeling fairly calm and looking at all the positive studies so on the whole am ok but its just that it is hanging over me so it is always there in the background.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 09:29:56 PM »

Hi
I would ring the consultant's secretary and explain to her/him, about the consultant's phone call, and ask if she can look into it and ask for your referral to be expedited.

Donna69

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 10:05:04 PM »

Hi sorry don’t know the background to you having scan in the first place?was you bleeding?if so that could be the fluid.I went through all this last year and I was a wreck lining was 11mm poly and fluid found on scan had my hysteroscopy lining was fine and no polyp.try not to worry I know it’s easier said than done. But the ladies are right it’s nearly always down to the hrt

Violetta808

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 11:40:19 PM »

I agree you should phone the consultant’s secretary. The waiting grinds you down - speaking from experience - and for your own peace of mind they need to expedite. It is meant to be a 2 week referral after all.

Was that the stat I posted? Less than 1 in 200.

I actually don’t think gynaecologists distinguish between HRT PMB and non-HRT PMB and treat both with the same urgency - so while a finding of thickened endometrium and maybe blood/fluid is worrying when someone is not on HRT, it’s pretty common and very unlikely to be indicative of anything sinister if you are on it. Yet the consultant doesn’t seem to take this into account. (That you had an all clear only 7 months ago is also a very good sign).

Also ultrasound and hysteroscopy findings don’t always correlate, as Donna69 discovered, and me too last week.

Keep pushing for that appointment. Take care x

Northerngirl

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 09:52:52 AM »

Hi, just wanted to say that I agree with all the other ladies that it is probably due to HRT and they are being duly cautious which I suppose they need to be.

As you know I waited a long time for every 2 week referral I was sent for so I know how much of an anxious/stressful time this all is. Like I've mentioned before I got put on anxiety meds/sleeping tablets and I've never had to before ....they don't seem to realise what we go through. I'm not suggesting you do this just want you to know I totally  understand what you're going through. It's only this week that I'm finally starting to feel "normal " again after 4 months of hell.

Maybe do as others have said and try ring the consultant or at least the secretary...I did this a couple of times (only had the consultants name so I emailed the hospital and got the secretaries number)It really isn't fair you've got to wait until April.
Remember you will get through this,you've done it before. We're all there for you  :bighug:

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 01:25:29 PM »

Thanks all. Mostly I do feel that all will be well thanks to the stats posted (thanks Violetta808) and reading on here and looking at evidence based studied that show low incidence.

I'm also anxious about the GA and about how I'm going to cope without food for so long. My appt is 12.30 and I know it may be ages before I go down and I'm not allowed to eat from the night before. I get really dizzy if I don't eat little and often so worried I'll faint.

Ive previously tried to ring the secretary of the consultant but they never answer the phone or get back to you. I will ring appointments regularly in the hope there is a cancellation though.

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 03:24:46 PM »

Thinking of you Shropshirelass, just keep in mind every tiny step forward on this is a way to the end of all this and hopefully soon you'll be looking back on it all and probability all will be well and / or otherwise resolvable. 

I worried before an op about the eating thing because I'm the same, but strangely it didn't happen that day, the feeling faint, etc, I think the adrenalin carried me through and somehow the body knows.  Also I wonder if eating good food the day before where you can, like protein and fats, etc, might help as they will nourish the system longer than carbs (even healthy carbs).  We are with you.   :)

Northerngirl

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 04:22:57 PM »

Regards to the GA and not eating. My appointment was afternoon and I was allowed a light breakfast up until 7am if that helps