Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bi-polar bleeds 🤷‍♀️  (Read 549 times)

Charleyfarley

Bi-polar bleeds 🤷‍♀️
« on: February 27, 2024, 07:14:55 PM »

Hi ladies…..

Excuse the title of the thread but I just couldn’t think of the right words 🤦‍♀️😂

So I know how unpredictable and all over the place peri bleeds can be…and I thought I’d got used to the different ups and downs…I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced this….i feel fine but it’s just a bit bizarre and been my pattern lately…

A very light bleed for a week…brownish in colour, almost no external spillage, just bleeding mostly when wiping or if a tampon been used it just has a small show when taken out….it then very nearly disappears completely…and then BAM…different consistency and gloopy, clotty, teenage type bleed really heavy…for 2 days and then gone…

Is this bizarre or is it just exactly what is meant by “all over the place” 🤷‍♀️😂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bi-polar bleeds 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 07:30:53 PM »

Yep, mine were like that in peri.

My periods were excruatiginaly painful, heavy clots, so bad that I slept on a large bath towel with two pads at night.  Often needing to get out to change both at least once  :'(

After the bleed I would stop for 1-2 days followed by a show of brown blood - because there wasn't enough hormone to cleanse the womb, plus intense itching high up.  That would last 24 hours.  Normal for me so was never worried.

Then peri arrived: periods waxed and waned.  At least the pains went.  Also the clotting.  Then I would miss a few months followed by a 'normal' bleed followed by whatever Mother Nature would throw my way.  This went on for 2-3 years, I knew it was 'the change' and so pleased that the pains never returned. 

Even after periods stopped for years I would get pre-menstrual pains and think "Oh not after all this time!" 

Charleyfarley

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 07:50:25 PM »

Aaaaaaah thank you so much CKLD 😊

I’m so glad your pain didn’t return too!

Good to know….i think sometimes i hear what to expect, always hear sayings like “periods will be all over the place” and “muscle & joint pains” & so then think, “right, don’t panic when this happens because it’s normal for peri” but then i experience it and convince myself that it’s not normal for even peri ♥️🤯🤦‍♀️…..

I have a lovely practice nurse and she said last week when I was quizzing her about “but why would so & so happen, it might be serious” and she said “sometimes there isn’t a reason, sometimes there’s no answers and our bodies just do strange things”…..not very profound I know 😂 but was quite a moment for me….my health anxiety has me always looking for a “why” with any symptom….sometimes I guess there just isn’t an answer! X

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 08:01:31 PM »

I always blame HORMONES  ;D.  I have never known which hormone triggers which activity throughout the month, it simply happened.  I never had babies either so was never free of bleeds: my 5 friends had 3 each so they had my 2.5.  Oh the noise at times LOL.

I was always aware of 'the change' but like many, thought it was the stopping of periods with a few hot flushes.  Hey ho!  Fortunately few flushes initially then my GP diagnosed vaginal atrophy.  Who knew! 

We have a thread somewhere about what we have diagnosed today  ::).  When I get any aches and pains I take 'nurofen' which usually gets rid of the 'what if' buzzing in my brain. 

Charleyfarley

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 08:08:10 PM »

Oh wowwww it’s crazy you mention that! I have never taken ibuprofen in my life…taken pretty much every other OTC at some point over the last 40 years but never that….

This weekend my boyfriend had some in his kitchen counter and I was aching, bleeding, yawning etc etc 😂 so I just thought, well, why not 🤷‍♀️ I couldn’t believe it, felt good as new after an hr 🤯🤯🤯 so that has been under my nose my whole life and I only just found this out!! X

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 08:12:55 PM »

I find that paracetamol doesn't touch pain ....... there was 'feminax' for years which was specifically for period pains.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 11:45:41 PM »

Hi Charleyfarley

This sounds just how peri is.

Spotting to heavy bleeding, with or without clots, shorter, longer, more than one a month, then months without one.....

SadieLou

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 01:33:53 AM »

Oh, yes, charleyfarely, that all sounds familiar.

My periods have been irratic for the past couple years but have leveled up in the past few months.

No period at all in November/December.  In January it was super light and super short (3 days).

Had a normalish period the first week of February.  This past Saturday, another period showed up.  The first two days it was very heavy, super clotty, and very painful.   Yesterday I thought it was ending.   Nope.   Back to medium flow today.

I had my annual gyn exam today (scheduled months ago) and my doctor said it all sounds very normal for peri. He did a trans vaginal ultrasound (to check on an ovarian cyst) and also checked everything else. He said there's nothing of concern as my lining wasn't thick and all looks fine up there.

:: shrug ::  I'm just trying to find the humor in it all and go with the flow (so to speak  ;D).

sfreesto

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 05:26:47 AM »

CharleyFarley, definitely sounds like peri to me too. My cycles went down to 22-23 days and the bleeding was just as you described. I was put on continuous HRT six weeks ago and had been taking enough progestin to stop bleeding in theory but my peri body has overridden it. I’m just coming to the end of 5 days black clotty string, followed by 3 days brown, then 5 days actual period of which 2 days were heavy. I’m going back to cyclical because my body obviously wants its bleeds still. X