Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Really struggling |  (Read 730 times)

Nanookster

Really struggling |
« on: February 26, 2024, 06:54:36 AM »

Hi everyone,

My gyno recently changed my HRT from Bijuve (1mg estradiol and 100mg progesterone) to Estramon (1mg estradiol and 2mg Dienogest). He switched my HRT because tests showed absorption issues and I was starting to experience symptoms again. I've been taking it for just over two weeks now and feel awful. Really tearful, irritable and have started bleeding quite heavily in the last few days.

How long should I keep going on this HRT before trying something different? I know that some of you really struggle taking synthetic progestin (which I believe Dienogest is) and maybe that is my struggle too - perhaps I just can't tolerate it.

At what point have those of you who have also struggled, given up and tried a different regime/brand?

Thank you all in advance!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Really struggling |
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 10:27:21 AM »

I would ask to return to the other regime which seemed to be working.  What symptoms led your GP to believe non asbsorption?  It may be that you need a hike in replacements. 

Many find the progesterone part difficult, others find it useful.  Also gynaecologists don't always understand what women require re HRT!

Hopefully some1 who takes HRT will be along with more firm advice. 

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 11:41:32 AM »

It sounds like you were better off with Bijuve and in my opinion, your best option would be to go back to that and add in some extra oestrogen to deal with the returning symptoms. 

As you rightly say, the progesterone component of HRT is a real problem for many so if you find one you can tolerate, definitely stick with it.  Bijuve contains 100mg body identical progesterone so you can afford to add in some extra oestrogen with either Oestrogel or an oestrogen only patch.  Doctors are becoming increasingly receptive to the idea of oestrogen top ups so hopefully you can get your hands on some.  I did it myself with Angeliq (top heavy with 2mg progesterone) for several years and it worked well.

I think Estramon is also a contraceptive but it contains a high dose of synthetic progesterone and that is probably why you are bleeding heavily and feeling so unwell.

I find I know very quickly if I'm going to tolerate HRT and from what you have said, I don't think the Estramon is going to fly. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 12:04:43 PM »

Let us know how  you get on.

Nanookster

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 02:04:22 PM »

It sounds like you were better off with Bijuve and in my opinion, your best option would be to go back to that and add in some extra oestrogen to deal with the returning symptoms. 

As you rightly say, the progesterone component of HRT is a real problem for many so if you find one you can tolerate, definitely stick with it.  Bijuve contains 100mg body identical progesterone so you can afford to add in some extra oestrogen with either Oestrogel or an oestrogen only patch.  Doctors are becoming increasingly receptive to the idea of oestrogen top ups so hopefully you can get your hands on some.  I did it myself with Angeliq (top heavy with 2mg progesterone) for several years and it worked well.

I think Estramon is also a contraceptive but it contains a high dose of synthetic progesterone and that is probably why you are bleeding heavily and feeling so unwell.

I find I know very quickly if I'm going to tolerate HRT and from what you have said, I don't think the Estramon is going to fly.

Thanks so much, Mary G - I'll give it another week or so and if there are no improvements, ask to go back on the Bijuve with an oestrogen top up. I really appreciate your advice!

Nanookster

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 02:06:26 PM »

The symptoms that led him to believe there were absorption issues were a return of vertigo and also rollercoaster emotions (sometimes feeling quite high and then other times feeling super low). I'll give it another week and if I'm still feeling crap, I'll ask to go back on the Bijuve.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 02:14:41 PM »

If you were on Bijuve for some time perhaps it's more likely your own production has fallen. If you've been absorbing it well it's unlikely though not impossible  that this would suddenly stop.