Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FIT test national bowel screening  (Read 4208 times)

Elliebee

FIT test national bowel screening
« on: February 26, 2024, 10:13:53 AM »

I received my First National bowel screening fit test on Friday. However I’m currently having a light period and can’t do the test at moment. For those who have done them before is there a timeframe in which kit needs to be used? I know it says once sample collected it should be returned within 2 days. Worried that the kit may have a short shelf life!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: FIT test national bowel screening
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 10:21:41 AM »

It says on the letter with the kit, I think they like the tests returned within so many weeks  - it's OK to wait a few days and it's 1 sample. Years ago it was over 3 days  ::)

fiftyplus

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 11:17:18 AM »

I am sure that it will be ok to wait - when I did mine last year I think they sent me a reminder 6 weeks later as I hadn't done the original one x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 11:43:53 AM »

They'll send you a reminder letter in around six weeks time if you haven't done it so I think you'll be fine to wait. There'll also be a best before date on the pack if it's the same as mine.

Taz x

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 11:59:30 AM »

You're definitely fine to wait. GP gave me the test kit and told me to do it within a few months! Defo wait till you're properly over your bleed tho.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 12:02:21 PM »

How R U feeing overall Elliebee?

It's a routine test at a certain age  ::) and as we get older we R offered all kinds of tests.  I get my shingles jab this week, I had to wait until I turned 70 even though 1 can buy it in BOOTS at an earlier age .  But the Nurse wouldn't move when DH had his in October - for the sake of a few months as well as saving an appt slot !  Sorry having a ramble  ;D

Elliebee

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 12:26:06 PM »

CLKD seems crazy they made you wait ! Hope it goes ok.

I suffer with health anxiety so these routine tests do freak me out. I always imagine the worst ! I do just want to get it over and done with but know I have to wait until bleeding or more like spotting stops. My periods are very light and more like spotting . They are also erratic at moment so it’s the not knowing when the spotting /bleeding will stop.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 12:38:57 PM »

In my experience, if there's a  problem you'll hear pretty quickly, in my case it was two days after I'd handed the kit in to the surgery. My husband, who had his done the route you're going, never heard a thing as his results were normal amd then they randomly appeared on the NHS app a couple of months later as normal!

It is good to get the screening done now when you don't have any symptoms of anything. If they do find anything it'll be at polyp stage where they just take it out!

Please don't worry, this test is a good thing x

Elliebee

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 12:46:19 PM »

Thank you Penguin. My husband had a private health screen in summer and had a score of 7 on his FIT test. Bupa lab have a cut off score of 4 so given family history of bowel cancer he opted for a colonoscopy which showed nothing. I think you responded to my question on this back in July.
My mind goes into overdrive with these tests! I always get a day or 2 where my poo is less firm than normal around mid cycle and again during period. Now I’m thinking maybe that’s a symptom of something else …. I did have a FIt test 2 years ago following bout of digestive issues. This was negative and my blood tests have always been normal too.

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 02:07:11 PM »

To give context, the bowel screening programme cut off is 120 in England (lower in scotland), whereas the GP symptomatic testing cut off is 20. If you had a negative test 2 years ago, then really the most you could get in that time is small polyps. BC starts from polyps but they grow slowly, really slowly (we're talking 7+ years) before they can have potential (and not all of them do) to turn into something sinister unless you are young and have first generation family history, which I'm sure you'd know about by now.

Bowel changes mid cycle are normal due estrogen increasing in the lead up to ovulation = estrogen increases motility. Again, around the time of menstruation or hrt withdrawal bleed, loose stools normal due to sudden drop in hormones. Peri is a time of widely fluctuating hormones, bowel changes are normal and you'd only need to get it checked out if it carried on foe weeks and diet changes made no difference.

Elliebee

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 02:38:21 PM »

Thank you Penguin that’s all very reassuring. I just wish my periods would hurry up and do one for good! I’ve just turned 54 and thought they would be over and done with by now!

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 02:50:06 PM »

Thank you Penguin that’s all very reassuring. I just wish my periods would hurry up and do one for good! I’ve just turned 54 and thought they would be over and done with by now!

I am 49 and feel the same!

Elliebee

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 03:23:36 PM »

I read 51 was average age for menopause and that’s what I was hoping for but oh no my ovaries have other ideas !!

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 05:34:26 PM »

I read 51 was average age for menopause and that’s what I was hoping for but oh no my ovaries have other ideas !!

Do you know when your mum went into meno? I always thought that was an indicator but my mum went into meno when she was 42, right after having me, yet 7 years later here I am 🤣

Elliebee

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 05:41:13 PM »

I did ask my mum and she said it was around her late 30s early 40s  after having my sister. She said she suffered from heavy periods and Dr gave her some form of medication and it stopped her periods. I’m not sure if she’s remembering it correctly 🤣
[/quote]

Do you know when your mum went into meno? I always thought that was an indicator but my mum went into meno when she was 42, right after having me, yet 7 years later here I am 🤣
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2