Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Aches & pains  (Read 1572 times)

Sussexgirl1970

• First Flush
Aches & pains
« on: February 27, 2024, 02:31:51 PM »

Hello ladies,

I'm 53, periods stopped 3 yrs ago, been on Lenzetto spray 2 pumps a day and Utrogesten capsules one a day for almost 2 yrs, no issues...until a couple of weeks ago.

I am now suffering aches and pains all over, every day is a surprise - which body part is going to ache today!!! It varies between pain in my legs, arms, side/ribs but there is  consistent pain in the lower abdomen/pelvic area. I feels like period cramps sometimes, other times if feel more like it's my back/hips and a feeling a pressure on my bladder and generally feeling 'heavy' down below.

I am awaiting an appointment with GP but could this be HRT related. Can HRT suddenly stop working after 2 yrs of no problems and cause these issues?  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Aches & pains
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 03:03:49 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Do U use pain relief?

If you are feeling 'heavy' around your pelvis it may be the start of Vaginal Atrophy so do read 'the bladder issues' thread and those about VA.  Symptoms can mimic repeated urine infection-type feelings really really well.  There is suitable VA treatment which will ease symptoms and it's better to begin sooner rather than later.

The idea is to use 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' nightly inserting into the vagina: 2-3 weeks loading then as necessary.  Some manage symptoms with every 3rd and 5/6th nights, others require nightly insertion.  There are mositoriors for the outer labia.  Or smear a little 'ovestin' around the area to stop it becoming itchy. Some GPs don't prescribe both as they fear that we can 'over dose' on oestrogen replacement. 

Wrong ;-).

:welcomemm:  have a list of worries to discuss with your GP.  If U don't feel supported as for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, not a gynaecologist.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:03:26 PM by CLKD »

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 03:14:42 PM »

You might need an increase. You continue to produce oestrogen yourself post meno, just not enough for a bleed. This falls over time. I know when I haven't changed my patch on time as the first symptom I get is pain in the hips.

SundayGirl

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 06:47:40 PM »

Sussex girl - I know exactly what you mean about the aching abdomen. Only I put mine down to a reaction to vagifem/ovestin.
I also use Lenzetto and for the last couple of days, I've upped it from 2 to 3 sprays ( thanks to a comment from Hurdity) and am a bit better.
Could you try 3 sprays for a few days see how you feel?

Xx

Sussexgirl1970

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 10:50:39 PM »

SundayGirl - thanks for the reply. Actually I did up to 3 sprays today,  so will see if that makes a difference over the next few days.

I've also read about taking Utrogesten vaginally rather than orally - not sure what difference this makes and if this is something I should try too?

I don't want to do something that might make things worse but I'm quite frankly fed up with the pains right now.

I need to wait til my GP appointment to ask about VA and possibly getting a prescription for Vagifem but until then im trying to grin & bear it and taking paracetamol/ibuprofen and hot water bottle for the cramps  :'(

xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 10:09:05 AM »

You shouldn't have to wait to discuss appropriate treatment for vaginal atrophy, a phone call asking for 'vagifem' and 'ovestin' should suffice.  No need for blood tests or an examination.  U may find that an appt with a Nurse Practitioner is quicker than getting to see a GP.

Let us know how you get on.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 10:35:51 AM »

The problem with this time in your life everything is trial and error until you find the answer or getting the balance right.
Topical oestrogen is the next thing to try either Vagifem or Ovestin or both together and hopefully that will solve your problem down below. As for the aches and pains they can be short term and nothing to worry about but all part of the aging process. I find 1 co-codamol and 1 paracetamol works great for me when I am having one of those days, Ibruprofen tablets are best avoided if you can as not great for you in the long term.