Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Menstrual flu and Oestrogen  (Read 562 times)

Newgirl2024

• First Flush
Menstrual flu and Oestrogen
« on: February 28, 2024, 08:31:59 PM »

Hello,

Brand new here but I am desperate for advice. For the past 6-8 months or so I have been having to take at least a day off of work each month with fatigue before my period. A complete inability to keep my eyes open… sometimes however I also get what feels like flu just before my period starts. Coughing, blocked nose, aches, sneezing, the works. I am 48 and on Mirena Coil and taking three pumps of Oestrodial a day. My GP wants me to switch to four pumps when I feel like this, but I just don’t want to keep upping the dose… any advice on similar experience would be amazing.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menstrual flu and Oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 09:26:30 PM »

:welcomemm:   It is known that Covid-19 has altered hormone levels in some women, to the point of women having periods after years without.

Also allergic-type symptoms may well increase as hormone levels rise and fall.

Chronic fatigue is common. [SORRY: this should read crashing fatigue] I remember my Mum stopping cooking and sitting down to sleep for several hours.  It used to make me angry  :-\.  She was probably in peri..

How is your Company reacting to your need for that time off to sleep? 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 09:06:07 AM by CLKD »

Newgirl2024

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 09:36:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I have a sympathetic employer (so far) and I have been using sick leave. Which is accurate as I cannot work like that. I just want to ‘solve it’ as I can’t expect to take a day or two off each month… I don’t know if more or less Oestrogen will help…

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 09:05:27 AM »

morning.  MayB it's time to ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, there are waiting lists.  Not a gynae., but a menopause GP.

Why shouldn't you take time off to care for yourself?  Depending on your work situation of course.  We need to learn to listen to our bodies .

In the meantime, think when you last had a thyroid function and VitD blood test. 

Scampidoodle

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 03:24:35 PM »

Did you have this prior to starting hrt 6 months ago?

I get this on an off and it always seems to correlate with my estrogen being too high. I slept from 9-3 before my period this month and I had slept all the night before and did the following night. It was like I’d been given a reallly strong sedative.