Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is 'new' Tostran weaker.  (Read 601 times)

Banjo1973

Is 'new' Tostran weaker.
« on: February 23, 2024, 04:31:26 PM »

Hi,

I have been on testosterone for over a year now. I never got a big boost in libido, but did get loads of other benefits. I take Tostran, in 2023 this was a metal cylinder. The product was very harsh on the skin (very much like surgical spirit) but I only needed a tiny amout to get the benefits, and always knew if I took too much because I'd get greasy hair and spots.

However, since receiving the new Tostran (now in a plastic container) my skin and hair are never greasy and I don't have much energy. I had put this down to switching from Oestrogel to Sandrena and getting used to that. But I'm beginning to think the Tostran formulation is weaker. For a start, it's far more gentle on my skin (no dark, dry patches from where I apply it) and I'm now using way more than I ever did with old Tostran.

Has anyone else experienced the same with 'new' Tostran?

SarahT

Re: Is 'new' Tostran weaker.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 07:48:04 PM »

Hi Banjo

I can't answer directly in that I only started Tostran in January, so got the plastic cylinder type, so I can't compare with the old style.

Although my GP said one whole pump 3 times a week, when so tried this amount I went very jittery. I always do a small pump every day and don't see any side affects. Libido wise I have been feeling a few " tingles" which had gone awol. Am due blood tests in about 4 weeks to check levels. Was at a paltry 0.2 so am hoping for.better results. But hrt wise I have been pretty stable on my regime for about 4 months prior to T, so am wondering if your body is still adjusting to the Sandrena atm??

Banjo1973

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 09:39:28 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't take the one whole pump (of old stuff) either. I did it once and was wired all night.

Glad it's starting to work for you. I'll just up my dose a bit and see how I go x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 08:47:00 AM »

Hi Banjo

It's doubtful that the formulation has been changed otherwise this would be stated in the product info which doesn't look as though it's been updated recently on the EMC site for medications. However obviously I can't say definitely! It can't be weaker (ie amount of active ingredient) as such because 2% gel is 2% gel.  The only way it could potnetially feel different is if the excipients (what the testosterone is mixed with) or the relative proportion of them, have been changed - but as I said on the EMC site they are listed as the same as they always have been.  With all products - food, medicines etc, companies regularly change design of packaging but that doesn't mean that the product differs in any way.

Do be careful about increasing your dose as the effects can take some time to be fully expressed in the body!

Are you being given blood tests now and again to ascertains your blood levels of T since starting?

Hurdity x

Banjo1973

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 10:14:39 AM »

Hi,

Thank you for this information. It's not because the packaging charged that I was concerned there was a change, its because my older tostran would literally make my skin dry up and if I put it in the same area it would darken the skin (which is why I started putting it on the sole of my foot). I only used tiny amounts of it (less than a quarter of prescribed dose).  My newer Tostran is much less harsh on the skin (which I am delighted about)

I will book myself in for blood tests, but I am not concerned that I am taking to much as I am still taking less than the prescribed amount.

Maybe my first bottle was a rogue batch? I was surprised that anything designed to go on the skin would have such a detrimental effect on it, but it worked so I didn't care!

I am not talking about the active ingredient(s), but something in these two formulations is different.

I would love to hear from anyone who used the metal canister Tostran.

Thank you xx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 09:50:57 AM »

Hi Banjo

I would suggest writing to the manufacturer asking if the formulation has changed because on the face of it looking at the lists of ingredients, it hasn't - maybe the lists on the web haven't been updated? Or perhaps, as I said, the proportion of the excipients has changed?

Can't help with the personal experience because that is one T product I haven't used!

Hopefully someone else will be along with experience....lots of women on here use Tostran!

Hurdity x

Banjo1973

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 09:57:45 PM »

Thank you Hurdity x