Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Too much Estrogen ?  (Read 3365 times)

Booblet

Too much Estrogen ?
« on: February 21, 2024, 07:33:53 PM »

Hi everyone,
Hope your all OK.
I'm 64 yrs old and suffer with post - menopausal symptoms.
I've been taking Sandrina (estrogen gel) 0.5 mg with Progesterone cream (natural Progesterone with Yam;)
** The ratio was correct according to NICE (goverment information).

However, since having Covid - Christmas 2023 my symptoms have been unbearable  - severe depression and Anxiety- moreover, this month I have had bleeding x twice. The past months I have had a tiny show - a few drops of blood.

I'm not sure how to re-calculate Estrogen/Progesterone level. I'm also frightened of feeling much worse.

Please- any advice?
X

Nik2502

Re: Too much Estrogen ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 08:41:56 PM »

Hi

I was exactly the same after having Covid. It totally knocked my regime and I virtually had to start again.  I also had a bleed. It took weeks of tweaking the dose to get back on track.

I started by upping my gel very slightly then had to reduce it!

It was a nightmare x

Hezzi

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 07:38:44 AM »

Hi booblet! I had a virus at Christmas there too. Symptoms of nausea, wobbly legs, fatigue, huge anxiety etc (though one -ve covid test). It seemed my hormones went haywire! Also had some light spotting. Gp decided to put me on higher dose of evoril with prog pill and I'm about 2 weeks into it with tender brests, cramping and spotting. Hope this goes soon!

For the anxiety I worked though various apps based on cbt-  Daylight and Silvercloud. Meditation and relaxation techniques also helped as did a walk outdoors in green space. The cbt made me more conscious of negative thoughts and to challenge them, though this was really hard work!

Interesting to hear Nik2502 that you went up then down doseage.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 10:05:23 AM »

Hi Booblet

Sorry to hear about your symptoms, but I am more concerned that you are using progesterone cream for endometrial protection which is NOT recommended by the British Menopause Society, nor is there a licensed product, though you say this is correct according to NICE?

The important thing to note is that there is no magic ratio of oestrogen to progesterone because it all depends on the type of oestrogen we are taking, and the type of progesterone - it is not a question of being able to calculate gram for gram etc, so if someone has said this is the case, then I would say you have been misled.

What is crucial is that yes, the amount of progesterone needed to protect the endometrium from overthickening due to oestrogen stimulation, is dose dependent ie more oestrogen needs more progesterone (higher dose, longer duration), but this can't be determined from the actual products - hence we have a licensing system for each progestogen or HRT product which is determined through trials.

Of course the other alternative for those with the funds is to do it yourself and ensure you have regular scans to check the womb lining so perhpas this is what you are doing?

What I'm trying to say is that unless you have ascertained yourself through scans that the cream you're using protects your endometrium long term, you can't necessarily work it out through calculating a particular amount - ESPECIALLY in the case of progesterone cream which is not recommended - because of variable and inconsistent absorption.

Irrespective of Covid, (and sorry to hear about your post-Covid symptoms), the fact that you have been bleeding indicates that the progesterone cream is indeed not protecting the womb and I would urge you to go to the doc and be referred for a scan. Please don't be frightened, but you do need to get checked out and make sure you are taking an adequate dose of progesterone, if your womb lining is shown to be thickened.

How long have you been on this regime?

Hurdity x

Booblet

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 05:00:46 PM »

Hi

I was exactly the same after having Covid. It totally knocked my regime and I virtually had to start again.  I also had a bleed. It took weeks of tweaking the dose to get back on track.

It was a
nightmare x
Hi,
How are you now?
And how did you lower/ higher estrogen and Progesterone?
X

Nik2502

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 09:18:43 AM »

Hi

It was a
nightmare x
Hi,
How are you now?
And how did you lower/ higher estrogen and Progesterone?
X

Hi

I’m struggling with anxiety and tearfulness at the moment. Can’t seem to get the oestrogen dose right.
I use gel so I just adjusted the number of pumps. I’ve always been on Provera 5mg and not altered that.
How are you? X