Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Merina expired!  (Read 735 times)

MsUlysses

Merina expired!
« on: February 22, 2024, 08:30:42 AM »

Please help.

My merina coil has expired, and they can't get it out to replace it. Cervix clamped shut apparently, 3 tries and no luck but a lot of bleeding.

I was doing well on the estrogen only patch with the coil, so was then started on oral progesterone for endometrial protection. I got sore, very itchy breasts. I talked to the gynaecologist and she says to reduce the patch, I did, menopause symptoms started to return. Talked to the GP, she's says take the progesterone vaginally. Not been doing it long enough to see the benefits.

So, I'm 49 and no idea when I last had a period and now I've no contraception cover. Not ideal.

I'm waiting for an NHS appointment to replace the coil under anesthetic but who knows how long that will take. I can get a private appointment but not for 6 weeks or so and at a considerable cost (£1500).

I'm a bit at my wits end. Tearful and sore. Any help, thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Combined patch any better than oral progesterone for side effects? What to do about contraception? Should I use sequential hrt? Should I get the coil replacement asap?

Thank you.

Dotty

Re: Merina expired!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 08:47:26 AM »

How long have you had this coil ?

MsUlysses

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 09:38:19 AM »

It expired, after 5 years, last November.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 12:05:34 PM »

The Mirena has now been extended up to 8 years for contraception, but it’s still 4 years for endometrial protection.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 12:24:13 PM »

First of all, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I had my first Mirena coil in place from 1998 to 2005 (7 years) and it was perfectly OK.  I was 44, nearly post menopause, using a 50mcg patch and the gynaecologist who did my transvaginal scan said it was absolutely fine and the womb lining was very thin.

Mirena coils don't run out of steam immediately and you don't need to panic bang on 5 years.  I kept mine in for 7 years and to be honest, I felt better when it was churning out a lower dose.  A lot of women now opt for the lower dose Kyleena coil because they find it more tolerable - they have regular scans to make sure.

I've attached the doses of both the Mirena and the Kyleena coils and you will see the reducing dose on a year by year basis:

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/mirena.html#:~:text=Dosing%20Over%20Time,mcg%2Fday%20after%208%20years.

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/kyleena.html

I would do nothing, wait for the appointment and I definitely wouldn't stop/reduce HRT or take extra progesterone.  You don't need to worry about contraception either.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 12:36:57 PM »

Dotty - I got a text recently from my GP surgery saying that the Mirena could now stay in for 5 years for HRT purposes.

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 12:56:53 PM »

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:59:15 PM by Dotty »

MsUlysses

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 01:47:38 PM »

The Mirena has now been extended up to 8 years for contraception, but it’s still 4 years for endometrial protection.

The GP has put me on the progesterone for endometrial protection but it's just messing with everything.

MsUlysses

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 01:52:40 PM »

I had my first Mirena coil in place from 1998 to 2005 (7 years) and it was perfectly OK.  I was 44, nearly post menopause, using a 50mcg patch and the gynaecologist who did my transvaginal scan said it was absolutely fine and the womb lining was very thin.

Mirena coils don't run out of steam immediately and you don't need to panic bang on 5 years.  I kept mine in for 7 years and to be honest, I felt better when it was churning out a lower dose.  A lot of women now opt for the lower dose Kyleena coil because they find it more tolerable - they have regular scans to make sure.

I've attached the doses of both the Mirena and the Kyleena coils and you will see the reducing dose on a year by year basis:

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/mirena.html#:~:text=Dosing%20Over%20Time,mcg%2Fday%20after%208%20years.

I would do nothing, wait for the appointment and I definitely wouldn't stop/reduce HRT or take extra progesterone.  You don't need to worry about contraception either.

Thanks Mary, that's useful advice. I think I'll just come off the progesterone and wait for the NHS appointment. If contraception is ok for a while yet, and there's some residual endometrial protection I can live with it for the year it might take to be seen. So sick of feeling sick.

MsUlysses

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 02:09:21 PM »

The NHS are now saying 6 years, or ten if you were over 45 when it was inserted for contraception. https://sh24.org.uk/help-centre/update-coil-guidelines

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 08:08:49 PM »

Thanks Mary, that's useful advice. I think I'll just come off the progesterone and wait for the NHS appointment. If contraception is ok for a while yet, and there's some residual endometrial protection I can live with it for the year it might take to be seen. So sick of feeling sick.

I think that's a good decision.  Hopefully you won't have to wait more than a year.