Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Trainspotting  (Read 672 times)

Charleyfarley

Trainspotting
« on: January 24, 2024, 07:03:38 PM »

So this post isn’t really for advice as much as just to lighten my load and share 🤷‍♀️😂 a problem halved and all that…..

This forum and the web in general has a huuuuge amount of amazing info around Peri and Meno…but the one thing I’ve really struggled to find any real information on is sudden HRT withdrawal…

you can always find the stock answers which say “menopausal symptoms may reappear, hot flushes etc” but any more than that and the search assumes that you’ve withdrawn because you’ve done your time and are through the worst….done deal discontinuation so that’s that….

but I mean sudden withdrawal and the effects this can have when you’re still in full peri swing….I had to do a really deep dive….read some really interesting studies…I’m talking page 6 of  a Google web search & the 2000 page studies done in far flung countries on estrogen mixed with every different medication kinda deep dive 😂

So after removing my patch I had a 2 week period of “well that was easy…nothings happened…happy days”……

and then booooom 💩🤣 when I say “pure unadulterated terror” that’s exactly what I mean 😭 I woke up and had white knuckles…literally terrified…of everything 🤯🤯🤯 couldn’t stand up quickly and then came the diahorrea…felt like a bug….and next came:

**Constant growling sounds from my bottom
**Diahorrea aaaall day everyday
**Wind that smells so bad it would empty a room full of people being handed free money
**Globus…but not just any Globus…this is new and improved Globus that contains NAUSEA 🥳🤩🥳
** dry wretching…aaaaall day
** pure confusion…in general…about everything
**anxiety…supercharged & extra strength
** manic hyper highs
**horrific frightening doom

So in short, you’re probably thinking, well that’s IBS with a large dollop of anxiety 🤷‍♀️ and typical meno symptoms….which have slammed back following a massive fluctuation

I think my point is….im just shocked 😂 shocked that a sudden withdrawal from hormones can resemble a scene out of Trainspotting and a very similar experience to how you would imagine cold turkey from a “recreational” drug:…

I think I just needed to write this down & share the power of hormones again….never fails to amaze me how strong these little rascals are 🤯

Xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Trainspotting
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 08:50:17 PM »

I never watched 'trainspotting' s the reference is completely lost on me.

All the bodies hormones are powerful especially when they are out of sink: thyroid function for example.  It's The Change, does what it says on the tin.

My bowels always reacted prior to a bleed even when a period wasn't due: 10 mins B4 I had to run or else! 

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax which includes around the anus: how many old ladies do you know who fart as they walk  :o.  I've walked behind some men
too  :-X

However: wind that smells should be reported to a GP.  Either than or review the diet completely.  U may have read my awful NY Eve experiences after eating lots of processed foods i.e. cake, biscuits, Bakewell tart that was given as gifts.  Enjoyable.  However!  Now that we are back to a larger amount of mixed veg and I have tried adding more fruits, all those symptoms went.  Had to stop kiwis though as my mouth erupted in ulcers  >:(

Dry wretching can be due to an empty gut.  But that may begin a cycle of nausea + no eating = wretching

Low blood sugar can cause highs and lows of mood: as can not eating correctly often enough [long story short]  ::)

PennyD

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 10:55:12 AM »

Hi there, I feel that I am right there now, Trainspotting is absolutely the right way to describe it! I had some progesterone intolerance so was advised by my new menopause clinic to go back into my (beloved) contraceptive, with Drospirenone, the only progesterone that agrees with me, and added vagirux. I took my Everol 50 patch off 5 days ago (after a short, advised overlap) and have skipped along quite happily. Until last night. Shaking, sweating, shivering, wrenching, anxiety. Still not as bad as too high estrogen or total progesterone intolerance, but causing me to be off work today and lamenting my lost career/life/anything fun happening to me ever again. My question is first of all, how are you now? How long does this take to subside? Xx

Lesred

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 05:29:45 PM »

Oh gosh this has made me feel a bit better as I thought I’d lost the plot a bit or imagined it, but last August I was getting fed up with symptoms so I just ripped of my conti patch ( been on it for 5/6 months only) as gp told me if you don’t like it just stop, well … as you describe charleyfarley! Just like you I thought the first few weeks were a breeze, in fact I even felt better and then the nightmare began. I thought it was an awful bug too but I did wonder if it was my hormones going completely crazy as I’d just caused chaos by suddenly stopping. I’m a few years post meno so not sure if that made it worse?!

PennyD I think for me it lasted about a month before I more or less found my normal state, but just to say it wasn’t awful every single day it just slowly calmed.

The complete madness is I started the rollercoaster again in November with a different hrt, I must be bonkers  ;)

Anyway just to say thank you for posting this it definitely would’ve helped me at the time, I might have calmed down a bit. Hope you all feel better soon!

Les x x

Donna69

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 07:41:54 PM »

I totally get where you are coming from I wanted to come off hrt last year to see where I was in the whole menopausal journey dr told me to stop it dead.it was the worst 3mths of my life I bled for 7 weeks.Anxiety was through the roof,it was just like cold Turkey coming off a drug and there’s no information out there to help you through it or even to warn you that could happen