Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie-need advice re interpreting blood tests, endometriosis and way forward  (Read 2389 times)

Vlwood_10

• First Flush

Hi. So bit of background. I've just turned 44, had a hysterectomy (only ovaries remain) 4 years ago due to endometriosis and suspected adenomyosis.
I had been symptom free up until 6 months or so ago when I started getting what I thought were endometriosis symptoms again. Fast forward a few months and symptoms started getting more frequent, and strange. I just put it down to stress as had a lot going on. Finally, after some googling online and then a home urine test kit for FSH, I plucked up the courage at end of January to speak to a GP. I got my blood test results yesterday.
FSH 41.3
LH 69
Doc said thyroid, blood glucose, kidney function, liver function etc were all fine

Doc says looks like menopause but was unsure as LH was too high. Have new blood tests scheduled in a few weeks time, then to discuss what treatment I want/need.

So feeling a little in limbo here. Am I in menopause or not? Everything I find re such high LH makes me wonder if I should ask re a pituitary tumour? Obviously had no period in 4 years so can't gauge anything with regards bleeding or not.

Current symptoms are: occasional hot flush that suddenly turns to a chill, pelvic and lower back pain, body aches, bad headaches (almost daily that paracetamol doesn't help much with), an increase in my migraine with aura.

Can anyone offer any advice re stage, or advice with regards HRT and endometriosis, how best to proceed?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Surely you are in menopause as your womb has been removed?  :-\   Hormone Blood tests are reliably un-reliable and if this GP isn't sure, he/she should have referred you to a dedicated menopause clinic.   ::)

:welcomemm:  U have a few options.  Ask for a referral to the menopause clinic as well as to a Consultant au fait with endometriosis if you haven't had regular follow up appts..

Have U discussed your symptoms with either a GP or Nurse Practitioner?  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  I believe that migraines episodes can increase with hormonal upheavals - awful. 

CLKD

U may find it of use to GOGGLE NHS advice on endometriosis, hysterectomy etc..  U may require laparoscopy to see how far endo might have spread which may B the cause of pain. 

After a hysterectomy, a woman can no longer have children and menstruation stops. The ovaries generally continue to produce hormones, although in some cases they may have reduced activity. Some hysterectomies also include removal of the ovaries, so the supply of essential female hormones is greatly reduced.

Surgical menopause
If you have a total or radical hysterectomy that removes your ovaries, you'll experience the menopause immediately after your operation, regardless of your age. This is known as a surgical menopause.  [NHS]

Have a lookC at : BRITISH MENOPAUSE SOCIETY [Tool for clinicians Information for GPs and other health professionals] 1of6
Surgical menopause: a toolkit for healthcare professionals
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 02:50:22 PM by CLKD »

Vlwood_10

• First Flush

As long as ovaries remain you are not classed as in menopause as you still ovulate as normal. Just no bleeding

CLKD

Learn something every day  ::)

VioletAquarius

As long as ovaries remain you are not classed as in menopause as you still ovulate as normal. Just no bleeding

I didn't know this. I thought everyone who had  a hysterectomy went automatically into "surgical"menopause.

I know someone who had a hysterectomy and only one ovary was left, I'm sure they went into menopause straightaway.  Maybe not then. But how would anyone who has a hysterectomy know when they've reached menopause then?, it would be impossible wouldn't it? (as blood tests are so unreliable)??
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:21:18 PM by VioletAquarius »

VioletAquarius

Vlwood_10 - if you've had a hysterectomy you wouldn't get endometriosis again would you?  as it's caused by period bleeding going elsewhere, rather than out of the vagina.

Vlwood_10

• First Flush

If one or more ovary remains, you do not go into menopause. We still ovulate and can still have ovulation pain, PMS, you name it. Many people retain at least one ovary to prevent immediate menopause and therefore do not require immediate HRT. If everything (including ovaries) are removed then yes this is immediate surgical menopause.

I had never thought previously how one would detect menopause in someone after a hysterectomy like mine, though Google and NHS websites suggest they use blood hormone levels to detect in our cases since it can't always be based on symptoms.

It is a complete myth that hysterectomy will "cure" endometriosis. Endometriosis can lie dormant. It can also create its own oestrogen. And it's not the period bleeding that causes the endometriosis. Endometriosis lesions react exactly like the endometrial lining of the uterus. I.e. when hormone levels cause the uterus to shed its lining (your period), they also cause the lesions to bleed in the same way. Even without a uterus, if the body is still creating the hormones then the lesions will still bleed. Hence, if anyone with a history of endometriosis should start HRT, it should be the combined so I believe. As oestrogen supplement alone will only cause issues

CLKD

Morning.  I've been browsing, can you tell  :D  ::: There is good advice at the top of the page: white printing on dark pink background : Menopause, Treatments, Health : etc.. 

My understanding has been that the pituitary gland in the brain triggers puberty preparing the body for periods and childbearing.  The ovaries secrete hormones and this may continue even after removal of same if the 'stem' remains behind.  So women will experience varying symptoms after their last period = menopause with or without ovaries.

Clear as mud  :-\

VioletAquarius

Vlwood_10 -  Thanks for such a detailed explanation. I've learnt something!  :)

Hence, if anyone with a history of endometriosis should start HRT, it should be the combined so I believe. As oestrogen supplement alone will only cause issues

I had endometriosis when I was younger, ended up having a operation. I've recently started taking vagifem, my gp said it was okay to take, now I'm worried it may start the endometriosis again.

Sorry, I can't help with your questions, but hopefully someone will come along who can.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:58:58 PM by VioletAquarius »