Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Side effects of allendronic acid  (Read 525 times)

JoDo63

• First Flush
Side effects of allendronic acid
« on: February 16, 2024, 04:01:55 PM »

Hi all. I am newly diagnosed with significant osteoporosis and suspected compression fracture. ( Oct 2023 )I am recovered pretty much from the back pain but am terrified of it happening again as the pain was excruciating.  To this end I decided to try taking weekly alendronic acid. I am 5 weeks in and the side effects are dreadful. Aches and pains and more shockingly very low mood to the extent that I feel like crying all the time , anxiety which is new to me and my brain just doesn't want to function. I already take low dose anti depressants and I dont want to increase the dosage because I feel that is not the answer. I am just turned 60 and read that alendronic acid is 14 times more likely to cause depression in under 65s. I just don't know what to do as I don't want more bone deterioration. My doctor is useless knowledge wise. I've tried to do my own research but it's a minefield. Has anyone else experienced this ? If so , did the symptoms reduce with time? Does anyone know an alternative? I'm feeling so sad and low at the moment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Side effects of allendronic acid
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 04:11:28 PM »

Hi!  Did your GP prescribe allendronic acid? If U feel that ill why continue?

Who diagnosed a 'suspected' compression fracture, an MRI scan should be fairly accurate.  Bone pain is excruciating!

MayB have a look at the Osteoporosis support web-site and ask questions there?  Brisk exercise is important - 10 mins every day, so that you are able to talk without panting.

Browse round.  Make notes ;-)