Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 2942 times)

mymeno

• First Flush
Anxiety
« on: February 15, 2024, 01:31:01 AM »

I am struggling.   I  am 62, almost 7 years postmenopause

I have had a difficult time.  I am currently on FemHRT 1/5 oral. I increased it from low dose 3weeks ago. 

The anxiety started up again about 2 months ago with palpation. Sleep is a problem.   I wake up and I have feelings  dred.   Other symptoms have eased a little -gastric, light headed (not dizzy), ache.

This is all very hard for me.  I always prided myself on handling everything  with a level head.  Now I barely handle single tasks without a fear that the anxiety and palpation will take me out.   I have been to GP amd my heart is fine

Asking for any help or suggestions on how to handle this

Jules

Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 08:58:27 AM »

I started getting panic attacks when my life changed dramatically. I was made redundant too and in my first job interview I had a bad panic attack, couldn't even feel my fingers. After that, the fear of having an attack caused more panic. Maybe that's what is happening.  That you're having anxiety about having the anxiety. Could you try some relaxation exercises? I used one, had it on my phone and out a head set on.  Also mindfulness exercises might help.

Hezzi

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 03:27:40 PM »

Hi mymeno.
I can totally understand the anxiety. Literally everytime when I went to gp perimenopause and postmenopausal, i would mention  the anxiety and gp would just skip over. So I had to do a lot of self help to understand what was wrong with me! I've found help from anxietyuk and mind was helpful and I'm a fan of an app. I've used Balance (meditation and breathing techniques), Insight Timer (which has soundscapes, bedtime stories, meditation, etc), Daylight (which is an nhs one, cbt based and goes through relaxation and thought challenges etc) I'm currently on another called silvercloud though you have to be referred by the gp. Lots of other things have helped me when things are bad include journalling and "worry time" - where you set yourself a time (no more than 30 mins) and place to worry like crazy aloud, then stop (that's important!). I think this technique is on the Daylight app. I hope things get better for you. My mantra fir these periods was "it won't be like this forever"! Be kind to yourself and don't add extra pressure on yourself. We are our own worst critics!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 03:35:33 PM »

It's awful.  I had 5mg 'valium' as necessary for several years, taken the night B4 an event that I was unable to avoid.  Because I knew it worked I never needed to take any moe the next day. 

Propranolol helped for a while, 40mg at night dropped after 3 years to 20mg - to ease any early morning anxiety surges which would leave me terrified.

Relaxation therapy: starting at the feet by stretching; holding; relaxing working up the body through calves, thighs, belly etc..  The idea is to focus on the muscle groups that are being tensed and relaxed.

Brisk walking or jogging helps some .  Do U think that the surges are cyclical?