Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bleeding on topical estrogen post meno  (Read 4481 times)

Jules

Bleeding on topical estrogen post meno
« on: February 14, 2024, 11:11:56 PM »

I've posted something about this on the main board but I'm trying to find out if anybody else has had any bleeding whilst using vagifrm or similar when they're post meno. I seem to be the only one. I'm not on systemic HRT.  I was using it alternate nights and ovestin externally every night since August. Previous to that just vagifem twice a week since maybe autumn 2022. I've had breast pain and one small bleed, size of a 10p. My last scan was October and lining was normal.  My gp has done an internal examination and breast exam and everything felt normal. She's not referred me for another scan, feels its because I increased the doseage and has asked me to stop the vagifem for 4 weeks to see if I get any more bleeding. If nit she will check again and I can restart on lower dose.  I was upset about having to stop as it's made a lot of difference and I'll be back to square one, but reassured that she wasn't concerned. I currently have bad health anxiety and now worrying that I should have more investigation,  at least a scan. I note Vagifem say breast pain and bleeding are side effects. Am I unique in this situation with topical estrogen? Has anybody else had problems? Can anybody recommend any non estrogen vaginal product I can use in the meantime?

VioletAquarius

Re: Bleeding on topical estrogen post meno
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 11:39:43 PM »

I've been taking vagifem since August last year, twice weekly, but then upped the dose to everynight in October.

I had some bleeding, a bit like a light period, had a scan but all okay, was told probably the last bit of hormones (I'm post meno 2 years in May).

Jules

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 11:49:54 PM »

I've been taking vagifem since August last year, twice weekly, but then upped the dose to everynight in October.

I had some bleeding, a bit like a light period, had a scan but all okay, was told probably the last bit of hormones (I'm post meno 2 years in May).
My periods were so long ago I don't remember when. Would you be worried not having a scan if you were me? Obviously I had one in October but I've had 5 more months of it.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 07:27:11 AM »

Did you have to stop the vagifem until after your scan?

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 08:22:24 AM »

My worry would be that if you stop the vagifem for 5 weeks and things get really dry quickly, then you could bleed because of that. Given your health anxiety that is likely to make you worry more.
I personally don't think anything is likely to have happened between October and now but, given your health anxiety, I don't think you'll be reassured until you get further checks done.

Jules

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 08:52:58 AM »

My worry would be that if you stop the vagifem for 5 weeks and things get really dry quickly, then you could bleed because of that. Given your health anxiety that is likely to make you worry more.
I personally don't think anything is likely to have happened between October and now but, given your health anxiety, I don't think you'll be reassured until you get further checks done.

I've asked about another scan given that I'd only just increased the frequency when I had the last one. I've also asked about continuing with a reduced dose of vagifem as long as the symptoms don't reappear as I don't want the discomfort etc to return. It's really difficult.  I could continue anyway without a gp say so but if I then have symptoms again she will say I should have followed her advice

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 09:00:05 AM »

I've asked about another scan given that I'd only just increased the frequency when I had the last one. I've also asked about continuing with a reduced dose of vagifem as long as the symptoms don't reappear as I don't want the discomfort etc to return. It's really difficult.  I could continue anyway without a gp say so but if I then have symptoms again she will say I should have followed her advice

Could you pay for a private scan at somewhere like ultrasound direct? I think they are around 140. Then you would know if it's an issue or not. I see you predicament but I can also see (and know from your previous posts) how much this is triggering your health anxiety. No matter how much reassurance people give you it'll always come back.

Jules

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 11:07:57 AM »

Could you pay for a private scan at somewhere like ultrasound direct? I think they are around 140. Then you would know if it's an issue or not. I see you predicament but I can also see (and know from your previous posts) how much this is triggering your health anxiety. No matter how much reassurance people give you it'll always come back.
I think I'm more anxious about stopping the treatment.  I've no reason to doubt the GPs assessment  but I feel a scan would have given the answer, instead I'm being asked to stop treatment for weeks to wait and see. I will see what she comes back with.  I wish I didn't have to use anything.  I don't know anybody else with this problem.

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 02:22:12 PM »

I wonder if your body is over sensitive to any changes, I think you mentioned you ended up in hospital with acid reflux when the rest of us can get by on PPI's and a bottle of gaviscon.  It seems very unfair on you that everything you try bites back at you, no wonder you have very high health anxiety.

It must feel like you are knocking your head against a brick wall all the time but will say that a lot of research must have gone on to allow topical oestrogen to be available to buy over the counter in the UK (restrictions are so high here) and deemed safe to use, I think your body protests too much.
I hope you find a happy medium with your VA treatment eventually.

Jules

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 02:37:04 PM »

I got a brief message telling me if I start using it again she will have too refer me under the 2 week rule. It feels like a threat. And it doesn't make sense. If that's the case why am I nit being being referred at all? I feel so distressed by it all

Jules

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 02:38:38 PM »

I wonder if your body is over sensitive to any changes, I think you mentioned you ended up in hospital with acid reflux when the rest of us can get by on PPI's and a bottle of gaviscon.  It seems very unfair on you that everything you try bites back at you, no wonder you have very high health anxiety.

It must feel like you are knocking your head against a brick wall all the time but will say that a lot of research must have gone on to allow topical oestrogen to be available to buy over the counter in the UK (restrictions are so high here) and deemed safe to use, I think your body protests too much.
I hope you find a happy medium with your VA treatment eventually.
No I was diagnosed with Barratts Oesophagus, cell change from chronic acid reflux.  That's a different thing.  It's likely some people who are self medicating also have disease and don't know
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:01:20 PM by Jules »

Jules

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 06:57:55 PM »

I think I'm more anxious about stopping the treatment.  I've no reason to doubt the GPs assessment  but I feel a scan would have given the answer, instead I'm being asked to stop treatment for weeks to wait and see. I will see what she comes back with.  I wish I didn't have to use anything.  I don't know anybody else with this problem.

Ive had a look at places that do ultrasound scans. Ive asked again via the secretary for a scan and asked for a second opinion from another GP but quite honestly it would be easier to break into the Royal Mint. I just dont understand the logic -  stop using HRT (though she is letting me continue with ovestin externally) for 6 weeks as she claims is the guidance, or she will have to refer me to hospital under the two week rule. If that's the case, shouldn't she be asking for further checks anyway though? How can it be a choice between wait and see for 6 weeks or be seen at hospital on  fast track pathway?

Blot

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 08:33:14 PM »

I’d be inclined to continue using the vagifem and let her refer you. At least you will be seen and get sorted out quickly instead of faffing around.
I think some gps just make things up when it comes to hrt.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 09:48:28 PM »

My periods were so long ago I don't remember when. Would you be worried not having a scan if you were me? Obviously I had one in October but I've had 5 more months of it.

I would be worried, but because it's natural to worry. I do however feel that as you had a scan 4 months ago that was clear it's only a short time so a lower risk for anything to happen.

I had a scan & hysteroscopy in July due to bleeding,  then bled again in December, so had another scan which was clear, although doctor wasn't expecting anything due to my scan & hysteroscopy in July 5 months earlier.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 09:51:19 PM by VioletAquarius »

Penguin

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 09:53:08 PM »

I’d be inclined to continue using the vagifem and let her refer you. At least you will be seen and get sorted out quickly instead of faffing around.
I think some gps just make things up when it comes to hrt.

Same! That's what I'd do to, accept the 2WW referral. She needs to explain her logic to you. Keep using the vagifem and let her refer you, or ask for a second opinion. Sounds like she is threatening you into a course of action you don't want to take.
Pages: [1] 2 3