Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bleeding on topical estrogen post meno  (Read 4470 times)

Jules

Re: Bleeding on topical estrogen post meno
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 10:10:12 PM »

My son said the same. It's strange because when I had a previous episode 4 years ago, I was just booked in for a scan.  I've not had any bleeding since Monday, it was as much as a 10p piece. I really don't want any invasive investigation. I've heard on here that it's painful and also I'd be waiting ages. I've dpent all last year waiting for endoscopies and biopsies. I'll see what the reply is tomorrow then and decide. If there's a chance something is going on I don't want to make it worse with estrogen. I'm really disappointed as I finally felt I wasn't having to think about the VA

Jules

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 10:14:08 PM »

I've been taking vagifem since August last year, twice weekly, but then upped the dose to everynight in October.

I had some bleeding, a bit like a light period, had a scan but all okay, was told probably the last bit of hormones (I'm post meno 2 years in May).
My periods were so long ago I don't remember when. Would you be worried not having a scan if you were me? Obviously I had one in October but I've had 5 more months of it.

I would be worried, but because it's natural to worry. I do however feel that as you had a scan 4 months ago that was clear it's only a short time so a lower risk for anything to happen.

I had a scan & hysteroscopy in July due to bleeding,  then bled again in December, so had another scan which was clear, although doctor wasn't expecting anything due to my scan & hysteroscopy in July 5 months earlier.
Did you have to stop using your treatment whilst waiting for tests? I wonder if I've been using too much ovestin externally and along with the alternate nights of vagifem it's been too much estrogen.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 10:19:00 PM »

Did you have to stop using your treatment whilst waiting for tests? I wonder if I've been using too much ovestin externally and along with the alternate nights of vagifem it's been too much estrogen.

No I didn't.

At the first bleed the gynaecologist even insisted on taking vagifem, to help with the hysteroscopy I was going to have. 

At the second bleed she didn't mention stopping, only that she couldn't see that the vagifem would cause the bleeding, or any potential womb problem, as i'd not been taking it long enough.

Jules

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 10:32:27 PM »

Okay. I've been using it about 18 months maybe. My last scan was towards the end of September but I was on a lower dose then. And she said she'd examin me again in 4 weeks. I doubt she'll manage it by then. I will definitely get back to her

Jules

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 10:52:15 PM »

I've checked NICE guidelines updated this year. It isn't very reassuring. I've not found anywhere about stopping fir 6 weeks but I'm going to ask for a check up. https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/incontinence-urinary-in-women/prescribing-information/intravaginal-oestrogen/

- What advice should I give to someone prescribed intravaginal oestrogen?
Advise the woman that:
Topical oestrogens should be used in the lowest effective dose to minimize systemic absorption.
Medical advice should be sought if she experiences breakthrough bleeding or spotting at any time during treatment-

This is still the advice despite some of us being told we can use it every night.

Jules

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2024, 09:41:07 AM »

Just an update. After waking with a mini panic attack I decided I'm in charge of my own body so have messaged the GP outlining what I've found out, what I think and what I want eg a scan and second opinion.  I've pointed out her ultimatum isn't helpful, has no logic and feels like a threat and that discontinuing the vagifem for longer than a week will cause a return of my symptoms and make any necessary future investigation harder.  I know I've health anxiety but dealing with the inept NHS this last year has contributed 50% of it.

Blot

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2024, 09:52:39 AM »

Good for you Jules. That’s great. Let us know how you get on x

Northerngirl

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 10:35:15 AM »

Good on ya Jules. I woke up with the intention of ringing the hospital this morning and demanding an update on biopsy results. I've rang 18 times already and left messages can't get through to speak to anyone....I give up honestly!!!
I too am absolutely fed up with waiting around for the NHS....staff are great but system is well and truly broken at present

Jules

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2024, 11:17:48 AM »

Good on ya Jules. I woke up with the intention of ringing the hospital this morning and demanding an update on biopsy results. I've rang 18 times already and left messages can't get through to speak to anyone....I give up honestly!!!
I too am absolutely fed up with waiting around for the NHS....staff are great but system is well and truly broken at present
Have you tried ringing the histology lab? I did that last year after a 4 months wait and ringing round everyone else. They didn't give me results but confirmed they'd received them and explained how they prioritise samples and told me my GP could expedite them. It did reassure me that they'd nit found anything urgent in initial inspection.  I was told they are shirt staffed and are outsourcing to other labs. The nhs should be renamed the DIY-HS

Blot

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 11:42:26 AM »

I’d get straight onto PALS Northerngirl. You should find their number on the hospital website or ring switchboard and ask for it. The way you’ve been messed around is ridiculous and it needs sorting.

Jules

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2024, 05:06:55 PM »

I've had a message with an appointment with the same doctor on Monday. I'm not sure what the point of that is. By then I will have missed a week of treatment.  I don't really want to go over it all again with her. I tried making a private appointment for scan, they wanted a GP referral even though I would have been self funding.

Northerngirl

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 05:59:37 PM »

I've posted on the other thread but just wanted to post on this one aswell  that my results are back with the medical secretary now but haven't been seen by the consultant yet so he couldn't tell me anything...so annoying but I was told 2-3 weeks so hopefully it should be the next few days.  I am going to ring every day now so they get fed up with me.
I'll keep you posted and thanks ladies x

Jules

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2024, 08:32:41 PM »

I've posted on the other thread but just wanted to post on this one aswell  that my results are back with the medical secretary now but haven't been seen by the consultant yet so he couldn't tell me anything...so annoying but I was told 2-3 weeks so hopefully it should be the next few days.  I am going to ring every day now so they get fed up with me.
I'll keep you posted and thanks ladies x
At least there's some progress but it shouldn't take so long nor require pestering. Keep pestering though.

Jules

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2024, 08:37:12 PM »

I've got that feeling of needing the loo a lot. I don't know if it's been triggered by the painful examination, I did have cramps yesterday, or its because I'm not using vagifem. I can't think in less than a week it's deteriorated so much. I get similar symptoms after sex. I'm really fed up though. I wish I had a doctor friend

VioletAquarius

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2024, 10:59:12 PM »

Hi Jules

The feeling of needing to pee a lot is a symptom of both va and uti, therefore it could be either a uti due to the examination or a flare up of va due to stopping the vagifem.

Take a urine sample with you to the doctors on Monday and ask her to check for a uti.  If it's all clear it is probably your va that has flared up.

Pages: 1 [2] 3