Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Acid reflux/heart burn  (Read 2060 times)

Fedfan

Re: Acid reflux/heart burn
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2024, 01:36:26 PM »

Dear Bass,
I am having the same experience atm so I can sympathise. I suffered with Acid Reflux about 10 years ago, eventually went private and saw an ENT who dx acid reflux and I was put on omeprazole and gaviscon advance. I took this for about a year and then weaned off it and have been fine until Christmas time when I started getting the symptoms of tight throat feeling/lump in throat, bloating. I didnt have omeprazole on repeat prescription so bought some at the chemists hoping it would help without having to go to doctors. This week its been so bad with burning in throat too so I tried to get gp appt. Not answering the phone so I went in and spoke to receptionist and no appointments available until end of Feb. So I will have to keep buying the omeprazole and gaviscon otc for now. I know during my last episode it took a while for symptoms to ease but they did eventually so hoping thats what will happen now

debbyx

• First Flush
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 03:37:39 PM »

Hi   

I am new to this forum but so glad i have found it , I am 61 and thought i had  got off lightly with symptoms but these last few months have been terrible
i thought i was going mad and every time i googled  symptoms it always said i had some thing sinister,    I too have acid reflux and always worse at night , i have had to cut out on all the food i like and just eat safe food , i have also stopped eating in the evening which has helped a bit , but now i have aches and pains all over always in different places i worry about every thing  and now have anxiety and can not sleep, twice i have called the DR and she suggested anti depressants .  I am depressed and cry for no reason . Only good thing is cutting out so much food i have lost some weight.  it was so good to read things from others to show i am not alone.

Jules

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 03:55:59 PM »

Reading this forum, I can't believe how many women are anxious.  I'm certain it's partly caused by a below acceptable level of GP and other health services. We wouldn't be googling if we could access prompt professional help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2024, 03:56:13 PM »

Fedfan: U made an appt. to see the GP?

"DEBBYX" - stop using google.  I'm not shouting at you but my MAC types Debby  ::).

What are your hormones up to?  GPs should not be prescribing ADs as a first resort with menopause, however, it does depend on what the lady presents with in Surgery.  mayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be useful, to discuss with a Nurse Practitioner or GP.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains, laxity can also cause hiatus hernia acid reflux symptoms. 

Patchsmama

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2024, 04:02:27 PM »

Hi   

I am new to this forum but so glad i have found it , I am 61 and thought i had  got off lightly with symptoms but these last few months have been terrible
i thought i was going mad and every time i googled  symptoms it always said i had some thing sinister,    I too have acid reflux and always worse at night , i have had to cut out on all the food i like and just eat safe food , i have also stopped eating in the evening which has helped a bit , but now i have aches and pains all over always in different places i worry about every thing  and now have anxiety and can not sleep, twice i have called the DR and she suggested anti depressants .  I am depressed and cry for no reason . Only good thing is cutting out so much food i have lost some weight.  it was so good to read things from others to show i am not alone.

Debbyx, everyone is so lovely on here, you’ll never be alone. I completely empathise with you as it took me so long to get a proper diagnosis. Fobbed off as an allergy with nasal sprays mostly.  I knew it was reflux.  Eventually, one dr did listen and sent me for the endoscopy which I was terrified of but it was fine.

The lifestyle things they suggested were no smoking/alcohol/fatty or spicy foods, raise the bed head with bricks under the legs (not extra pillows), no eating or drinking for 3 hours before bed, no caffeinated/fizzy drinks, eat smaller meals more often .  I think what helped me was the 6 months of twice a day esomeprazole. I now take it daily and am mostly symptom free though I’ve never eaten huge meals.  When you do reduce/stop the esomeprazole, you need to do it very gradually as you get a rebound reflux. It does go away within a couple of weeks so don’t be alarmed and think treatment has failed.

Maybe try a different doctor. I think the physical issue needs fixing and then you’ll feel better in yourself xxx

Patchsmama

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2024, 04:06:18 PM »

Reading this forum, I can't believe how many women are anxious.  I'm certain it's partly caused by a below acceptable level of GP and other health services. We wouldn't be googling if we could access prompt professional help.

I completely agree Jules. Our surgery is hopeless now, so many complaints as they now have a new appointment booking system online which means all appointments are gone straight away. The other day it opened at 0800 and all appointments were gone by 0806. I dread to think what the elderly do. It’s appalling. The general quality of GPs seems to have deteriorated too. As an ex nurse, I find myself having to suggest a plan. Then I worry about what’s been missed.  :'( 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2024, 04:12:54 PM »

As we age our gut changes or at least, mine has.  So I've had to alter my whole diet.  Sometimes when chest pain begins in the night if I drink fizzy water it stops within 15 mins..  I can't burp. 

Jules

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 04:16:06 PM »

I completely agree Jules. Our surgery is hopeless now, so many complaints as they now have a new appointment booking system online which means all appointments are gone straight away. The other day it opened at 0800 and all appointments were gone by 0806. I dread to think what the elderly do. It’s appalling. The general quality of GPs seems to have deteriorated too. As an ex nurse, I find myself having to suggest a plan. Then I worry about what’s been missed.  :'(
We also have an online system and you've to log on and type quickly or you've had it. They often text you back but you can't reply so have to start the process again. You can also phone but you're like 18th in the queue. It causes so much stress when you just need help. There are two many people and not enough frontline resources and an aging population.

Patchsmama

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2024, 04:46:27 PM »

We also have an online system and you've to log on and type quickly or you've had it. They often text you back but you can't reply so have to start the process again. You can also phone but you're like 18th in the queue. It causes so much stress when you just need help. There are two many people and not enough frontline resources and an aging population.

Sounds virtually identical Jules.  Just not good enough.  I know they are short staffed, I worked in the NHS for 26 years, but I do feel to a certain extent, they are hiding behind a computer. My friend’s son got an appointment last week and he was the only one in the waiting room and was seen before he could sit down. No one seems to care any more  :(

Jules

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 04:55:27 PM »

And there's no rhyme or reason to the allocation or availability either.  My sister is having to wait 2 weeks, I've just been sent one for monday.  Same surgery. I have heard those on reception answering calls. Inefficient, can't move things on, allow people to keep them chatting. That's why there's 18 in the phone queue

Abba Fan

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2024, 07:30:44 PM »

Check if you have low stomach acid, it’s the same symptoms as too much acid. I was taking omeprazole for years and my pain was getting worse even though I upped the dose , I came across a video on youtube and realised I had low acid and I used betaine hcl and my acid isn’t a problem anymore. According to the video around 90% of us have low acid not too much. I haven’t used any antacids for 3 years now.

Jules

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 09:18:07 PM »

I've bought some gastri soothe sachets from healthspan and trying them as alternative to gaviscon.  More expensive but saw them advertised

Jules

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2024, 09:22:00 PM »

Check if you have low stomach acid, it’s the same symptoms as too much acid. I was taking omeprazole for years and my pain was getting worse even though I upped the dose , I came across a video on youtube and realised I had low acid and I used betaine hcl and my acid isn’t a problem anymore. According to the video around 90% of us have low acid not too much. I haven’t used any antacids for 3 years now.

How did you check? It's not my problem as the excess acid has actually caused damage in my oesophagus but I ask because I've only ever heard of that from someone I know and she's a crazy conspiracy woman who told me castor oil can shrink a tumour and so I discount anything she says. Not that I'm suggesting you're crazy.

ElkWarning

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2024, 10:27:17 PM »

Not what your asked, but I think I had some acid issue recently - constant big burps, pain under sternum, thought I was having a heart attack. Realised it was after antibiotics and a shed load of stress. Tried gaviscon and a bunch of other stuff. After a month of yakult and some dietary changes, seems ok.
Pages: 1 [2]