Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Confused by gp  (Read 3611 times)

Cs65

Confused by gp
« on: February 12, 2024, 09:12:27 PM »

Can anyone make sense of this or am I being stupid? I’ve been having full bladder sensation and mild period like cramping for a couple of months. No bleeding except a little spotting after a transvaginal scan.  Had various tests and all came back negative except the transvaginal scan. This showed I had small non distorting fibroids one calcified and the other non calcified. Gp said this does not show a cause of my symptoms. From what I understand both my symptoms relate to fibroids. I’m confused.
(I’m 58 3/4 years post menopause. 2/3 years everol conti patches with no problems)
TIA for any responses

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused by gp
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 10:18:40 AM »

What did the GP suggest as causation?

Is there a Nurse Practitioner who you could talk this through with? 

How bad are the cramps?  I had these for years after my last period, cyclical - I would think "Oh not after all these years!"  Hormones  >:(

Cs65

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 12:01:12 PM »

She sent a text to tell me the result of the scan ending it with “if you continue to experience pain come back to us for a review” I had already sent a message asking to discuss the results so a telephone consultation has been arranged for tomorrow. Interesting to hear you had similar………Do you think I’m wrong to associate the pain with the fibroids? Just trying to understand it and then I can stop thinking about it so much

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 01:42:41 PM »

Have a list by the phone when she rings to ask?   It may be spasms caused by the scan or simply hormones.  R the feelings cyclical?

It may be the fibroids.  MayB put 'fibroids' in2 the search box and see what pops up?

Cs65

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 02:35:13 PM »

No not cyclical. Was every day for a couple of months but very much in the background. But as you probably know it plays on your mind.
I will take your advice and check on the search. Thanks for your responses. Hve a lovely day

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 03:54:57 PM »

It's raining  ::) but the day has been OK thus far.

Do let us know how you get on.

Cs65

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 05:00:46 PM »

:) will do

Ana21

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 05:33:58 PM »

Hi Cs65!

You have two small fibroids, one of which has already calcified and reached the end of its life cycle.  I'm wondering if your other fibroid is also degenerating.  Fibroid degeneration can cause inflammation and pain in the pelvic area or lower abdomen.  Some women experience intense stabbing pain.  These symptoms are caused by the prostaglandin release that occurs when the fibroid cells die.

You've likely experienced similar pain.  Menstrual cramps are caused by the prostaglandins that are made in the lining of the uterus, causing the muscles and blood vessels of the uterus to contract.  If you feel crampy, that could be why.

There might also be other signs of fibroid degeneration, such as a low-grade fever or an increase in your existing fibroid symptoms.
Hormone therapy complicates the situation.  Fibroids can begin to grow again and start the process over.

Signs of Fibroids Breaking Down and What to Do
https://www.verywellhealth.com/signs-of-fibroids-breaking-down-5187131

In terms of managing the pain, the article above suggests taking an NSAID medication, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.  NSAIDs generally work by blocking the production of prostaglandins.

Cs65

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 11:42:16 PM »

Hi Ana21

Thank you so much for this, makes a lot of sense to me. I appreciate you taking the time to give such a full explanation.

CLKD I spoke to the gp today (the one who told me the symptoms were not related to the fibroids). She explained the reason for this is that I’ve always had them and they haven’t changed from the last time I had a pelvic scan. I’ve never had a pelvic scan before!! The information on my record did not relate to me. She went on to try to convince me that it was me and gave me the reason I had it ie due to irregular periods. Ive never had irregular periods even going into menopause they just trailed off. It was a very odd conversation but eventually she believed me!!! She agreed to refer me to gynaecology to at least give me options eg monitor or remove them as the pain is still there.
Thanks again for your response

Ana21

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 12:57:52 AM »

Cs65,

Good to hear you've been referred to gynaecology and your fibroids and other symptoms will be fully investigated.  You shouldn't have to suffer with pain and uncertainty. 

Let us know how it goes.

Cs65

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 07:49:47 AM »

:) will do