Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan every third month  (Read 750 times)

Blythe

Utrogestan every third month
« on: February 17, 2024, 08:06:47 AM »

Hi. I detest progesterone and whilst it is slightly better taking it vaginally in that I don’t feel like dying for as many days per month as before I still have those days.

Does anyone use it less and in what way. I have heard of taking it only every three months and wondered what people’s experiences were? Spotting, mood etc?

Nik2502

Re: Utrogestan every third month
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 08:56:34 AM »

Hi I used it every three months under supervision from Louise Newson.  I still didn’t tolerate it though. I then tried Provera and have been fine on it even though it’s one of the more old fashioned progesterones x

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 10:06:34 AM »

I use a 6 week cycle. If you're going to have regular scans to check there's no build up you could try a 3 month cycle but I really think it's a bit dangerous without them (presume you know there's an increased cancer risk with a thickened lining).

Blythe

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 10:42:14 AM »

Yes I know about increased cancer risk. I already have an increased risk but progesterone every month makes my life intolerable hence question. Once I start decreasing I will sort a regular cycle of scans.

With the six week cycle do you just start taking at week 4 and for how many days? Do you take it orally?

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 12:43:05 PM »

Utrogestan is terrible and widely detested so you are not alone.

My gynaecological said progesterone every three months is fine but unfortunately I couldn't go that long before breakthrough bleeding because I was on a high dose of Oestrogel at the time.  I have since moved to a continuous combined regime.

I would consider switching to a different form of progesterone even if you are only intending to take it every three months.

Banjo1973

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 03:48:11 PM »

I'm peri and tale it every 3 months (not under any supervision but I feel so desperately bad on utro I can't face taking it more often). I have very light periods when I'd have a normal period.

I had a scan a couple of months ago and my lining is "nice and thin" luckily.

I've always had very very light periods, I don't know if this is relevant to my apparent lack of need to take large doses of utro. I got so desperate I started taking utro rectally... it worked the best it ever had done, I managed to cope with 11 days worth. Next month I'm trying Cyclogest (which is designed to be taken vaginally or rectally) and I'm really hoping it is the solution to my progesterone woes!

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 05:26:47 PM »

Yes I know about increased cancer risk. I already have an increased risk but progesterone every month makes my life intolerable hence question. Once I start decreasing I will sort a regular cycle of scans.

With the six week cycle do you just start taking at week 4 and for how many days? Do you take it orally?
I take 2x100mcg 10 days in 6 weeks and find this gives me a good withdrawal bleed. I used it vaginally but for the kast 5 cycles I've used it rectally  (vaginally was causing irritation, possibly because starting with va). Rectal is very much off licence so I'm not recommending it but so far it's given me a good bleed. Likewise 10 days instead of 12. I had a natural 6 week cycle so used it this way in peri too.

boomerang

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 06:39:50 AM »

Morning all,
Those of you having scans due to taking utro off licence - how often are you having them done? I’m assuming you use the private pregnancy scan places and send results to your gp? (If not using private clinics)
Thank you.

Blythe

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 11:30:03 AM »

Thank you so much. So helpful to me. Yeah vaginally is messy and causing irritation. I might try rectally. I am having a long cycle with red spotting which keeps making me think I’m going to start a bleed but alas. I will trial a six week cycle using todays red spotting as my CD1.

I take 2x100mcg 10 days in 6 weeks and find this gives me a good withdrawal bleed. I used it vaginally but for the kast 5 cycles I've used it rectally  (vaginally was causing irritation, possibly because starting with va). Rectal is very much off licence so I'm not recommending it but so far it's given me a good bleed. Likewise 10 days instead of 12. I had a natural 6 week cycle so used it this way in peri too.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 11:36:45 AM »

If you're spotting when it isn't just the start of a period you should get it checked out to rule out anything sinister.