Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Menopause and mental health  (Read 2204 times)

Menopausidal

• First Flush
Menopause and mental health
« on: February 13, 2024, 11:52:06 PM »

Hi
Just wondering whether any others have become/felt suicidal due to menopause?
I seem to be.
I really think badly of myself.  Think of how I have failed to be good, decent, successful - that everyone can see that I am a fraud, a superficial fake --- and on and on and on along those lines.

I am not sure how best to deal with this. 
The truth is I am fortunate in so many ways so that makes it even worse that I am suicidal/ungrateful for all I have been given.

Does this stop eventually?  How long will this last?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause and mental health
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 08:56:31 AM »

Morning.  I think that self doubt may creep in around peri-menopause especially when we compare ourselves to others.  So don't!

What R your periods doing? 

R U in work? How old R U?

Family life etc.?   Have circumstances changed much in the last 12-18 months?

SarahT

Re: Menopause and mental health
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 11:08:14 AM »

Hello,

First know that you are not alone with this. Many women find the huge hormonal upheavals either trigger or worsen pre existing moods.
I suffered my entire life with bad PMS every single month. When perimenopause but me like a bus, it went to the worse moods ever, suicidal thoughts kept coming in and I was in tears almost constantly. Put bluntly I just wanted it all to stop. When I managed to keep a note of dates and moods I realised for me it was cyclical, so when my period was due all help broke loose. My GP said perimenopause can worsen cyclical moods.

But please speak to you dr, preferably one who has an interest in menopause.

You are in no way a fraud or a failure. I tend to think of it not so much 'me ' who feels like this but my hormones doing it to me.

I eventually after some trial and error got  on a good regime of both hrt,and an anti depressant. Also had counselling. There are ways to get help.

Please do ask for help.

And I say again, you are not alone in feeling like this. It's truly horrible and scary. I never thought  I would be able to get out of the Hell I was in a few months back. But now I am okayish, but I keep to the medication as a kind of ongoing maintenance.

Take care and post on here for any reason whatsoever, whenever. X