Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What to do....  (Read 2737 times)

dlove

• First Flush
What to do....
« on: January 13, 2024, 11:59:02 AM »

Hi, new to this website and trying to find my way "around" menopause. I'm 50 and have been on the mini pill for many years, which I'm told can mask many symptoms of the menopause. I also have a history of depression, which, now that i've been going through this website, looks a lot like perimenopause but no one (including health professionals) thought to mention.

My nurse has now given me 3 months to decide if I want to stay on the mini pill or to change on to hrt (she has recommended patches). I'm finding it difficult to get info on which types of hrt usually work out best, I realise it can be dependent on the person but surely there's a popular method that most people try? On this website all I can find is hrt names and costs???

I don't even know where I'm going with this chat, just a frustrated sense of confusion.
 :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What to do....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 12:54:10 PM »

Join the Club of Confusion  ::)  :welcomemm:

Do U still get periods and how R they behaving?  Do U still need contraception?

My low moods were cyclic, I would sob the night B4 a bleed began even if a period wasn't due.  My depression is totally different, Escitalopram helps a lot. 

MayB make a list of which symptom/s you would like to ease first and how troublesome they are.  HRT may help but it isn't a sudden cure, it can be a bit Trial and Error.

Get in contact with the Nurse and ask which HRT she recommends, then U can put the product name into the search box on the Forum.  You can then read threads which pop up. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 02:50:36 PM »

I'm afraid the only method available is 'suck it and see'. What works for one person is a nightmare for another and there's no way to predict which will be good for you. Despite what you read on here most people are fine on the first one they try though transdermal is safer than oral.

dlove

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 04:26:01 PM »

Thank you both for your replies.

I don't have a break taking the pill usually, but when I didn't get my prescription on time last month and went without, nothing appeared. A woman I work with has had really bad problems with menopause and I think i'm scared to stop taking the pill. It's not for contraception, it's for heavy bleeding/endometriosis.

I wouldn't say i'm on an even keel at the moment, I have a real anger issue, bordering on rage on many occasions, and I worry about losing my job (I work with the public). Is there a possibility this could get worse if I don't get the hrt right the first time around?

I understand the concept of just having to try it and see but am I better with the devil I know?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 05:21:31 PM »

4 me Rages were common during the 10 days prior to a bleed.  R yours cyclical?

Does your company have a menopause support programme?  Time to speak to your colleagues, do U answer to anyone 'above'?  What makes you crossest the quickest?

Do find out which HRT your Nurse is suggesting in the first instance.  Is she au fait with menopause?

dlove

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 10:09:52 PM »

Thanks CLKD, apologies for the late reply. i don't think it's cyclical but I used to get really bad pms so maybe?
 My company does have a menopause support program but even so, there's only so much they'll put up with!
Anything makes me cross, crumbs on the kitchen surface, the wind blowing, my hair tickling me, someone looking at me. I could go on but i'm sure you already understand. I've been reading up on some of the options, and most of them seem to have the common side effect of depression, which is worrying.
I was on Vagirux which didn't do much and got put on to Ovestin which helped more but caused a period (of sorts - ensue more rage). I'm considering coming off the pill for the couple of months I have left and see if I actually still have a cycle or not.
 :-\

SadieLou

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 10:23:00 PM »

dlove - I'm in the States and treatment seems a bit different here so I have no HRT advice.   I just wanted to welcome you.  I don't post much but have learned SO MUCH on this site.   

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 12:23:57 AM »

The combined mini pill is often good in early peri but there usually comes a point where the amount of oestrogen in it is insufficient to control your symptoms and you'd be better with hrt. I think you might have reached that point.

dlove

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 06:20:20 PM »

SadieLou, thank you for the welcome. You've made me curious, would you say treatment in the States is better? How does it differ?  :)

dlove

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 06:22:35 PM »

Sheila99, you may well be right. I've read a lot on here, and I find some of it confusing and at a loss as to which would be the best way to go, guess I'll just have to work my way through it. The mini pill i'm on is progestogen only.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 06:24:54 PM by dlove »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 06:33:09 PM »

Depression can be increased by hormonal upheaval.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

'vagifem' won't cause a period but if the internal skin is thin then it may bleed initially with treatment.