Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breast pain and topical estrogen  (Read 1545 times)

Jules

Breast pain and topical estrogen
« on: February 08, 2024, 08:44:11 PM »

Sorry for repeat but I've done a search and couldn't find anything upto date.
Has anybody had one sided breast pain whilst using topical estrogen only? I've had it before even before I started vagifem  but I also got it when I started vagifem. I've been on it about 18 months now and started ovestin externally in August.  Started with breast pain again, stabbing, smarting. Had normal mammogram in July not that it means I'm ok now. I feel I'm never away from the doctor at present.  I really don't want to stop using the estrogen. I was wasting before.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Breast pain and topical estrogen
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 09:15:06 PM »

My breasts nip all the while  ::) but I never associate it with VA treatment.  I can pass it off as having lifted something, or stretched or that my hormones are still active.  I also have a pulling sensation under both armpits ........ being bilateral doesn't worry me as much as if it were on one side. 

This week the nips have been on the sides of the breasts enough to make me go 'ouch' or along the top above the nipple .........

Since breast treatment in the 1990s they have been nipping, sore at times, but the VA treatment has never impacted on those symptoms.  My lump wasn't seen on mammogram nor ultra sound but found on palpation. 

VioletAquarius

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 09:38:40 PM »

Hi Jules

Are you in peri menopause?  Both me and my sister have had pain on one side during peri menopause, although mine was in the armpit, then a  long time after it started going across towards the nipple. We both did research and found that it is very common during peri.

I am however in menopause now and still get it intermittently.

We've both have 2 mammograms each and both clear.

My sister doesn't take estrogen,  and I started Vagifem a few months back. I don't think your pain is due to Vagifem,  I think it's probably a coincidence, especially as you've had it before. Only a very small amount gets into your blood stream, my gp said Vagifem is like taking 1 hrt tablet a year.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 09:03:28 AM »

I think my menopause has finished. Other than VA, I don't have any other symptoms,  I occasionally get a hot flush if I'm under pressure but not even getting night ones now. It does feel tender to touch thoughi can'tfeela lump, woke me the other night, quite sore yesterday,  last night OK but still a bit tender today. I've tried to get a check with the doctors but they're not even taking calls, they're doing a ring back so there must not be any appointments. I've had cysts in the past. I used to go 3 monthly to hospital for 10 years, I've had so many aspirated. I've also had a vacuum biopsy and I guess I'm a bit anxious about breast pain.  I've read on here recently people saying topical estrogen gets in the system and someone saying ovestin isn't suitable for women over 65 so made me a bit concerned.  I use vagifem alternate nights but might drop to 3 times a week as I'm using ovestin every night externally. This last year has been a catalogue of health problems from bereavement right down to endless colds. I need a week in a health spa I think

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 09:36:25 AM »

This might sound odd, but if you bend over when standing and then feel your breast, is it still sore? Reason I'm asking is that I had similar ages ago now and it turned out it was coming from the chest muscles underneath (combination of rib being pulled by muscles from hip) and just the nerves aggravating it when pressing sitting upright. Do your ribs at the side feel tender?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 10:01:36 AM »

My breast treatment was in the 1990s and the drain site is still sore on palpation.

Jules

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 11:05:24 AM »

This might sound odd, but if you bend over when standing and then feel your breast, is it still sore? Reason I'm asking is that I had similar ages ago now and it turned out it was coming from the chest muscles underneath (combination of rib being pulled by muscles from hip) and just the nerves aggravating it when pressing sitting upright. Do your ribs at the side feel tender?

I've just tried that and no it didn't feel sore. I couldn't get an appointment today at the GP and sods law it doesn't feel as bad now and it does feel a bit sore into my armpit so I'm now wondering if it is muscular or an underwired bra or combination. I think I have lax muscle in that breast too. I'm going to wait and see over the weekend, wear a non wired bra. I hate going to doctors surgeries. They must be tired of seeing my name. The aging process is worse than I expected and has speeded up suddenly. 

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 11:33:41 AM »

I've just tried that and no it didn't feel sore. I couldn't get an appointment today at the GP and sods law it doesn't feel as bad now and it does feel a bit sore into my armpit so I'm now wondering if it is muscular or an underwired bra or combination. I think I have lax muscle in that breast too. I'm going to wait and see over the weekend, wear a non wired bra. I hate going to doctors surgeries. They must be tired of seeing my name. The aging process is worse than I expected and has speeded up suddenly.

Are your breasts small enough that you could try a bra top for a few days, so there's nothing digging in at all? Sounds like it could be muscular and, if going into your armpit, could be pulling from where your pec comes across. If the ligaments holding your breasts are lax, then also the weight of your breasts puts pressure on the muscles and attachments etc.

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 11:57:30 AM »

I've stop wearing a bra unless I'm going out as they have all become uncomfortable recently. I'm looking for the latest design bra with no seams, wires and just pull on that's selling on the internet now.
Been having soreness with my breastbone through the bra band being too tight and digging in.
Vagifem caused aching breasts the first month of using but it was actually when I reduced it from the loading dose not when I've increased it.

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 12:05:17 PM »

I've stop wearing a bra unless I'm going out as they have all become uncomfortable recently. I'm looking for the latest design bra with no seams, wires and just pull on that's selling on the internet now.
Been having soreness with my breastbone through the bra band being too tight and digging in.
Vagifem caused aching breasts the first month of using but it was actually when I reduced it from the loading dose not when I've increased it.

Check out BAM clothing,  their bamboo crop tops are amazing, just the plain black, white or beige ones.l, they are SO soft It's all I wear these days unless I am going on a rare night out and want to show some cleavage! I started wearing them due to all the tingling and weirdness I was getting on the sides of my breasts and ribs.

Jules

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 02:55:04 PM »

I am not well endowed so can try something softer or not at all in the house

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 04:34:44 PM »

I haven't worn a bra since the late 1990s. 

Jules

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 10:04:27 PM »

Well it's still tender, not as bad, wishing I'd pursued the GP more but will do Monday. I rarely wore a bra when I was younger, it was the fashion though, I couldn't knew. They wouldn't be in the right place

Jules

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 09:04:50 AM »

I can't get an appointment till Friday. I had to book online at 8am, I did immediately at that time. Apparently if I feel its more urgent I've to ring at 8am tomorrow! Again! Are they not concerned about my symptoms or is it just the usual NHS backlog?

Dierdre

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 09:27:53 AM »

You'll probably be fine by Friday. I've cancelled a couple of appointments in the past few months because I got better during the 2 week wait. Currently had inner ear problems but after 10 days it's getting better, I think.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:30:00 AM by Dierdre »
Pages: [1] 2