Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Psychiatrist / other meds for anxiety  (Read 3075 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Psychiatrist / other meds for anxiety
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2024, 05:57:36 PM »

PHEW!  bugga - anticipatory anxiety is so awful  :'(  :-\.  Now that U are aware of how much 'valium' U need to knock it on the head, you R 1 step ahead. 

Penguin

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2024, 06:33:13 PM »

That's a good point. If I know it'll work it's way out of my system in 24-48 hours )the panic I mean), then I can calculate accordingly.

As an aside, you have been given propanalol haven't you? I was wondering about trying that next time, did you find it helped calm your mind at all?

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2024, 08:05:08 PM »

Valium left me relaxed for 3 days after taking it.

Propranolol worked well for me to ease early morning anxiety attacks. 

Penguin

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2024, 08:55:46 PM »

Yes it definitely feels long acting. Thanks

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2024, 09:01:43 PM »

I should add relaxed with the backing of 'valium' even when confronted with stuff  ::)

Penguin

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2024, 09:10:23 PM »

How did you find the propanalol helped, did it just calm your body?

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2024, 09:56:29 PM »

All over relaxation.  Initially in 2002 it was 80mg 3 times a day for 3 weeks then the GP dropped it to 40mg twice a day; after a few years of feeling better in that the early morning cortisol anxiety surges were gone I dropped to 40mg at night.  Then to 20mg then in 2002 as we went into lockdown I stopped.  I didn't know if the background early morning headaches were the hang-over effect or Covid  ::).

My neighbour however gets hyper on it  ::).  Agitated.  There are several types of BetaBlocka so worth bearring it in mind as a try.  I also used Bachs rescue remedy mouth spray .... and relaxation therapy. 

Dawn3129

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2024, 07:49:33 AM »

I think I need a private consultation. On fluoxetine 4 weeks now with no great improvement and heart racing put my chest every morning.
I'm exhausted from health anxiety and checking my body. I just don't want to exist in this state

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2024, 08:54:08 AM »

Dawn: it's awful at times!   MayB look at your local hospital websites to see if there is a dedicated menopause clinic?

Penguin

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2024, 10:59:50 AM »

I think I need a private consultation. On fluoxetine 4 weeks now with no great improvement and heart racing put my chest every morning.
I'm exhausted from health anxiety and checking my body. I just don't want to exist in this state

Are you on hrt? I would try that first, and also give the fluoxetine longer. My GP said 6 weeks for full effect, they can make you feel worse before better which is why i have never been able to increase the dose. I've tried for 18 months with the ssri though and 14 months hrt, but this is after years of anxiety of various sorts, morphing into health anxiety at the start of peri. I feel your pain though,  the cycle of thinking and checking is horrendous. I don't have any answers except I know from bitter experience that giving in to the checking only perpetuates the cycle. I still do it when things get bad though. I don't even need a trigger to panic now, it seems to happen all on its own.

Penguin

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2024, 11:00:55 AM »

Keep an eye on this post popping up again in April though, as I will update with any info I get from the psychiatrist so that others can benefit.

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2024, 01:35:55 PM »

:thankyou:

Dawn3129

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2024, 04:31:44 PM »

Dawn: it's awful at times!   MayB look at your local hospital websites to see if there is a dedicated menopause clinic?
Rang the meno clinic in Aberdeen they said I need a referral from my Dr. My Dr can't even phone me till march. So many of us are suffering

CLKD

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2024, 06:40:23 PM »

Dawn - have U been given a date when the GP will ring you?  MayB write an e-mail to the surgery to explain why you need the discussion.  Could a Nurse Practitioner see U, speak to a GP and hurry that referral letter?

March ins't far away so make a list of concerns to take to the appt. when it does arrive.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]