Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anti depressants.  (Read 1018 times)

Strugglinglady

Anti depressants.
« on: February 16, 2024, 01:10:30 AM »

Has anyone been recommended to try a very low-dose and depressant for hot flushes particularly at night? I am so over waking up during the night with these horrible things. I’ve had them for years since I had a hysterectomy and I can’t take HRT. I’m 68 and I literally can’t remember not having these horrible things they make me very anxious during the night. I did a bit of research and read about antidepressant therapy for reducing them, I got my doctor to prescribe me some, but I don’t want any side-effects. It is a very low-dose and I’m going to start them tonight. Anybody have any luck with this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anti depressants.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 10:07:58 AM »

Which have you been prescribed?  Let us know how you get on?

Is it a personal choice not to use HRT or have you been 'advised' ?   

Strugglinglady

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 10:19:47 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I  have been advised not to use it because I’m 68 and in Australia that is deemed  too risky to start full HRT. I accepted that advice, however, if I was younger, I would most certainly take it, and I would advise any women in my family to take it. I am not against it at all. I think I’m still getting these hot flushes because I  had a hysterectomy in my 50s, and it put me into full menopause.. I have been prescribed paroxetine, as in very small doses they  are supposed to be very effective for temperature , fluctuations . I am really sensitive to most medication so I’m really hoping I can tolerate this. It would be great to hear from anyone on the forum who has tried this. Is the only medication apart from HRT that is prescribed and is usually very effective. Fingers crossed.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 11:27:57 AM »

Hi Struggling Lady. I know that fluoxetine (Prozac)is also prescribed in this way so fingers crossed that it helps you. If not then here in the UK a drug called Clonidine can also be prescribed to stop menopausal flushes/sweats. Two friends of mine had great success with it. I'm not sure if it's the same for Australia https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/clonidine/about-clonidine/

What a shame that you are not allowed HRT purely due to age. Weren't you put on it after hysterectomy?  :(

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 01:07:37 PM »

That's dreadful  :bang: :bang: :bang:  Could you buy it privately?

How about vaginal atrophy, is there treatment avilalbel?

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 02:37:32 PM »

The advice is different in the UK and there is now no age limit for hrt. Some women start low dose hrt in their 70s. Transdermal hrt is so much safer than the old oral type made from horse urine. There's a small risk associated with progestins but as you've had a hysterectomy you don't need that anyway, transdermal oestrogen carries no risk. Would it be an option to do some research on it and go back to your gp with the evidence? Adding oestrogen has to be a better to cure oestrogen deficiency than ads. Sorry I haven't answered your question.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 03:28:47 PM »

MayB refer your GPs to this site, started by a Consultant.  They could contact Dr Currie directly if they aren't sure.  Women should not be denied treatments, would they deny men?  I would go in and ask  :D

Strugglinglady

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 11:13:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn’t given HRT after my hysterectomy because back, then it was very controversial, and there was a lot of medical advice that it just wasn’t safe. I have a very bad health anxiety due to the death of a  daughter at 3 1/2 many years ago, frim leukaemia.it has escalated over the years. I haven’t been denied hrt , our  health system is very good and we’re not denied much. I guess I just opted for not taking it because I just don’t think I could cope with the worry. It’s just something I can’t control so really hoping that this works for me.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 11:43:40 AM »

Ah Strugglinglady I see that I misunderstood and thought you meant that you were not allowed HRT but actually you meant that you can't take it due to health anxiety - something which is well understood on here. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter and can understand how this has left you anxious.
Let us know how you get on with the anti depressants. I think that the dose for hot flushes is low so hopefully any side effects will be minimal. I think that if you do experience any then they usually disappear after the first couple of weeks so it will be worth persevering. Come on here at any time for support.

Taz x  :hug:

Blot

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 12:05:30 PM »

Hi Strugglinglady. Yes a know someone who is on a low dose antidepressant for hot flushes and they are working well for her. Can’t remember the name of it though.
You can always give it a go and stop if it’s not beneficial. It might help with your anxiety too.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 12:47:07 AM »

Thanks so much for the replies . I have had awful side effects with the anti depressant so far. I am a small person and seem to react very strongly to medication and I’ve tried these things before for anxiety, ( a different brand)  and I can’t tolerate them unfortunately, but thought I would give this one a go in a small dose. I will persevere for a few days but it’s rough going. I’m so disappointed. But onwards and upwards , I’m going to see a good female dr , and maybe discuss hrt. I can’t go on like this. Every time I have a bad flush I feel so anxious. Last thing I need. Thanks again though for the advice., I’ve always found this forum so supportive . I’ll keep you all posted.

Strugglinglady

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 12:22:03 PM »

Hi everyone, I thought I would give an update on my antidepressant journey. It was an unmitigated disaster. I just can’t tolerate them ,what I have found that I thought may be interesting to you ladies, and I think we’ve discussed this on the forum before quite a long time ago, is that I found out that I was again very low in  vitamin D. I live in Australia. It’s very sunny and warm here at the moment I go out in the sun most days with my arms uncovered, but I still can’t seem to absorb enough vitamin D. My last dose was five months ago and I completely forgot to get more. I get very high-dose prescribed by my doctor in a syringe filled with oil and just put it into my mouth. And I think the dreadful ,and worse hot flushes  ,waking up with dreadful palpitations and insomnia  was my vitamin D level. I got the diose when I remembered, but I really didn’t think about it as it doesn’t work straight away, but now I’m 10 days down the track and feel so much better so get your vitamin D checked. I was in a bad way, and to think that I couldn’t get enough vitamin D in a sunny country. Probably because I’m older, would suggest that lots of women all over the world are definitely low on this. Again, I will keep you posted on my symptoms and hope that they improve because of this it can lead to frequent infections and lots of problems, especially for older ladies.. I hope this is helpful.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 02:18:37 PM »

Tnx for the update.  A low level of VitD in the early 2000s caused me to do 20 mins gardening then have to sit, still, for 2 hours.  I simply had no energy, even breathing was too much bother.  Even though I am out and about walking or gardening.

Let us know how you get on.