Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post-hysteroscopy bleeding. How long does it last?  (Read 2566 times)

awake and nervous

Post-hysteroscopy bleeding. How long does it last?
« on: March 11, 2024, 04:09:14 PM »

Last Monday (4 March), I had a hysteroscopy under GA to investigate post meno bleeding, take an endometrial biopsy, and fit a Mirena coil.

During the procedure, the consultant discovered a 2x2 polyp  with a sessile base and removed it. Everything else looked normal and the coil was inserted.

I am awaiting biopsy results for endometrium and polyp (3-4 weeks).

After the procedure I had period like cramping and some light bleeding, which I was expecting, and which eased off by the end of the following day.

However, a couple of days later,  I started experiencing more cramping (mild discomfort) and more light bleeding. This has gone on for several days now.

Is this to be expected? Is the longer than expected bleeding/cramping duration because of the polyp removal? How have others fared? Just looking for reassurance.  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post-hysteroscopy bleeding. How long does it last?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 04:23:34 PM »

Were you not advised at the investigation?  I believe that several have undergone similar procedures so hopefully they will be along. 

Jan1234

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 05:19:36 PM »

I had hysteroscopy and biopsy done 3 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding  they told me it could start and stop for up to 3 weeks after procedure, and the year before I had a  hysteroscopy and a polyp removed and only bled for one day, it could be the mirena coil that's giving you some bleed apparently it can do that

Northerngirl

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 06:06:10 PM »

Hi, I had a hysteroscopy/biopsy at the end of January and bled on and off  for about 12 days...nothing heavy after the first couple of days.
I didn't have any polyps or a coil fitted

awake and nervous

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 10:03:15 PM »

Were you not advised at the investigation?  I believe that several have undergone similar procedures so hopefully they will be along.

Just a vague ‘you may experience some period like cramping and bleeding’, but nothing about how long that might last or if it might come and go for a while. I guess everyone is different. 

awake and nervous

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 10:04:55 PM »

I had hysteroscopy and biopsy done 3 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding  they told me it could start and stop for up to 3 weeks after procedure, and the year before I had a  hysteroscopy and a polyp removed and only bled for one day, it could be the mirena coil that's giving you some bleed apparently it can do that

Thank you, that is reassuring 😊
I’m hoping it’s not the coil, or if it is, that it will settle soon.

awake and nervous

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 10:06:34 PM »

Hi, I had a hysteroscopy/biopsy at the end of January and bled on and off  for about 12 days...nothing heavy after the first couple of days.
I didn't have any polyps or a coil fitted

Thank you. That is reassuring 😊
It’s good to know that it might do this for a while and that it can be on and off.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 10:55:07 PM »

Hi

I've had 2 hysteroscopies, both awake, with polyp removal with a LA.

The first one I can't remember how long I bled for,  but think it may have been about a week.  The second one I had light bleeding on the day of the procedure, then nothing for about 2 or 3 days then bled for about a week.  However, I had no discomfort or pain apart from during and immediately after.

awake and nervous

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 11:53:47 AM »

Hi

I've had 2 hysteroscopies, both awake, with polyp removal with a LA.

The first one I can't remember how long I bled for,  but think it may have been about a week.  The second one I had light bleeding on the day of the procedure, then nothing for about 2 or 3 days then bled for about a week.  However, I had no discomfort or pain apart from during and immediately after.

Thank you. This is reassuring. I was just surprised that the initial post-procedure bleeding was brief, and that there was a gap before it started again. But it seems this is how it goes for some women. 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 01:20:04 PM »

:thankyou:  Girls  :great: