Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dizziness and heartburn  (Read 1465 times)

eileenbeattie

Dizziness and heartburn
« on: February 06, 2024, 02:37:26 PM »

Hi ladies
I started going through the change about 10 years ago with different symptoms like racing heart dizziness among other things. I'm now 48 and went onto HRT patches to stop the night sweats. I've recently started with dizziness and seem to suffer a lot of heartburn. Has anyone else been like this as its getting me down 😳

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dizziness and heartburn
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 04:09:08 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax which can cause hiatus hernia = heartburn.

Have U tried any medication?  My GP gave me omeprazolol to ease the annoying cough that goes with my indigestion.  Heartburn for me is a deep burning pain with associated reflux  :-X.  Indigestion 4 me is deep behind the breast bone and fizzy water eases that within minutes.

For years I found milk of magnesia tablets or liquid enough to help.

When do you feel dizzy?

Jules

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 06:05:42 PM »

I've had chronic acid reflux for years. Ive also had gastritis and an ulcer. This last year I was found to have permanent damage to my oesophagus.  I've had advice fro managing it from a gastric consultant and dietician and hardly get heartburn at all now. Really important but do not take ibuprofen if you suffer from that kind of problem. I stopped drinking alcohol and any acidic foods, no fatty foods, avoid fizzy drinks as that causes acid to splash back up your oesophagus and I don't eat less than 3 hours before bed. It's made a big difference along with daily omeprazole

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 07:27:07 PM »

Interesting about iboprofen as that's what I reach for because paracetamol don'ts help anything.

eileenbeattie

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 07:53:06 PM »

Thank you ladies for your advice. It's nice to have a forum where we can all share our different symptoms. I thought I was going crazy until I joined the forum and seeing that I'm not the only one going through this.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 08:11:29 PM »

Peri-menopause - the years 10-15 years prior to our last period - can throw up lots of weird symptoms  ::)

Jules

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 09:43:18 PM »

I'd been taking ibuprofen leading up to needing tests. I had flu and paracetamol did work for sinus pain. The doctor told me they can damage your stomach lining. A bit like aspirin in some products. They do advise you not to take if you've stomach issues and shouldn't be taken regularly anyway.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 08:15:57 AM »

I also took ibuprofen, full dose for just 48 hours on a plane journey as I'd hurt my back just beforehand. It triggered gastritis in me, inflammation of the stomach lining, that landed me in a&e and took 4 months to heal. It can  irritate the lining to the point of causing stomach ulcers, my brother in law who is a doctor told me that. If you do take it, make sure it's always after food and never on an empty stomach, lowest dose possible for shortest amount of time. I'd never touch the stuff again.

What I've often wondered tho (and again too scared to try now) is whether topical ibuprofen like voltarol gel for muscle problems, would also cause issues. I'm assuming not as it bypassed digestive system but too nervous to try.

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 10:12:03 AM »

If you have persistent heartburn have you been tested for H Pylori?  I was treated for it back in the 1980s & found that helped a lot with symptoms of gastric inflammation.  Agree with the others re avoiding Ibuprofen & Aspirin - I never take either because of gastritis found on endoscopy.
Wx

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 10:23:42 AM »

Penguin, I was given Voltarol gel for a neck problem some years ago (long after the gastritis diagnosis) & don't remember it causing a gastritis flare, but it also had no effect on the neck pain!
Wx

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 12:16:41 PM »

Penguin, I was given Voltarol gel for a neck problem some years ago (long after the gastritis diagnosis) & don't remember it causing a gastritis flare, but it also had no effect on the neck pain!
Wx

Thanks Wrensong, that's good to know! I've looked longingly at my husband's voltarol for my various aches and pains (ageing seems to cause a lot more injuries from doing simple things!!!) but have been too scared to try! Seems like I won't both now!

Wrensong

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 12:44:51 PM »

Oh, it might work well for you Penguin - my Mum used it repeatedly for her back & found it helpful.
Wx

Jules

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2024, 05:21:22 PM »

I don't touch any ibuprofen products. Too nervous. My reflux has caused cell change.

Charleyfarley

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 09:16:12 PM »

Reflux is definitely something that got worse when I hit peri. Daily omeprazole does the trick but I feel your pain, if that didn’t work for me it’s something that would really affect day to day life 😭 I hope you find some relief……

Isn’t it just a treat to see what this lovely rollercoaster brings up next 🤦‍♀️🙄😂 I’ve always been so lucky re anything gastric…never even been aware of my tummy before peri…I’m now going through daily extremely loud conversations with my gurgling bloated new friend 🤦‍♀️ the noises are insane and the bloat is real 🙃 no pain…just a cats chorus and a strange clenching feeling like my tummy’s being sucked in…the joys 🤯🤯

Jules

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 10:40:07 PM »

Reflux is definitely something that got worse when I hit peri. Daily omeprazole does the trick but I feel your pain, if that didn’t work for me it’s something that would really affect day to day life 😭 I hope you find some relief……

Isn’t it just a treat to see what this lovely rollercoaster brings up next 🤦‍♀️🙄😂 I’ve always been so lucky re anything gastric…never even been aware of my tummy before peri…I’m now going through daily extremely loud conversations with my gurgling bloated new friend 🤦‍♀️ the noises are insane and the bloat is real 🙃 no pain…just a cats chorus and a strange clenching feeling like my tummy’s being sucked in…the joys 🤯🤯

I cant blame mine on menopause. I've always had the same problems way back to my 20s. Any stress has got me in the stomach. I was diagnosed with IBS. My upper gastric got worse and I was diagnosed with Barratts Oesophagus last year, caused by chronic reflux. So I urge anybody with persistent problems to get checked, dont make assumptions. Acid going the wrong way can caused damage
Pages: [1] 2