Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT makes me feel worse! I’m so disappointed  (Read 1356 times)

Jessbob

• First Flush
HRT makes me feel worse! I’m so disappointed
« on: February 04, 2024, 12:57:43 PM »

Hello all!

I’m 50 with regular periods. Since about 46 I’ve started with the usual peri symptoms that have gradually become worse over the years.

Dreadful bowel issues with loose stools, gas, gurgling, acid reflux. Anxiety, low mood, irritability, very poor sleep, itching, loss of libido - the usual stuff.

Last November I finally went to my GP to ask for HRT. I was really looking forward to improving things.
I was given Oestrogel (2 pumps) and Utrogestan to be taken for 14 days.

I started the gel on the first day of my period, hoping to align with my own cycle. I started on 1 pump, in case it upset my delicate bowels even further.

Within a few days I was struggling with hayfever like symptoms, fatigue, shortness of breath, headache and the worst jittery shaky feelings. I kept at it (1 pump) but within an hour I was ‘hit’ by the symptoms. I took the 2 weeks utrogestan without any real issue, I think it was the oestrogen that made me feel worse. After 1 full cycle I gave up. I was feeling dreadful.

I had a month free of HRT then where up until my period I felt ok but had terrible PMS and a very heavy period.

Back to the GP who said to try a low does patch and gave me Evorel 25. Again, stuck that on day 1 of my cycle and I’m now 5 days in.

Im again feeling itchy, sneezing, tickly throat, itchy skin. Tummy feels dodgy. Waking up with cortisol surging and feel internally anxious and wired, like a slight constant excitement. I ache worse than when I’m off HRT and I’ve got a slight ear fullness and ringing.

I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and hard place. Feel horrible off HRT and horrible on it. I fact I feel a little worse on it.

Should I take antihistamines and stick with it?
Should I try progesterone daily?
Progesterone alone?
Any advice please? I’m so wanting to feel like my old self again.
I can’t see my to fathom what’s happening? Do I have too much oestrogen? Too low? Or is the fluctuating hormone causing this feeling and I should stick it out?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT makes me feel worse! I’m so disappointed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 01:53:03 PM »

U R stuck.  For now.   :welcomemm:

Did U have PMS prior to trying HRT?  It mayB that temporarily the replacement has interfered with your cycle. 

Cortisol - the waking hormone - was my enemy, I would wake in the early hours feeling terrified.   :-\. My GP prescribed Propranolol to stop the early surges. 

Hormones can certainly upset the bowels.  During my menstruating years 10 mins B4 a bleed would begin I had to dash to the loo - even if a period wasn't due!  Also I would get incredibly bloated as well as intensely thirsty in the 24 hours B4 a period was due.

If you feel really ill then stop all treatment.  It is suggested that we should give HRT 3 months however!  It mayB that you don't require HRT at this stage, usually it's the progesterone that upsets women  ::)

Have a look at your over-all diet.  In the last 18 months we have cut out as much processed foods as possible: DH is the Chef here: trying to add more veg although I'm not good with the extra fruit - makes my guts gurgle!  Loudly !!

I don't know if ladies take utrogestan alone as a regime?  Perhaps put the product  name into the search box and read any threads.

A loss of oestrogen may cause the body to dry: inside and out; deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina [do read up oh that!], skin as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

Let us know how you get on.  Browse round.  Make notes;-)

Sphynx

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 02:16:53 PM »

Have you tried Symprove for regulating your bowels?
Also, I’m new to HRT, but I do know you need to persevere with it. Side effects can be nasty,  but they often subside. If you do suffer you can change and try something else until it suits.
In the meantime, I would look at other ways to combat some of your other symptoms. You might not actually need HRT yet.

joziel

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 05:02:47 PM »

The symptoms you describe there (some of them) are histamine symptoms. Look into the work of Dr Tina Peers and histamine, mast cell activation and HRT/estrogen. You can find videos from her about it on YouTube and she also has a website.

For now I'd suggest cutting your 25 patch in half to make 12.5 and seeing if that is ok. Often things settle if you stick with it and don't keep starting and stopping it...

See if your symptoms fit these: https://www.drtinapeers.com/introduction-to-histamine-intolerance

Jessbob

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 02:45:12 PM »

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies.

Im considering cutting the 25mg patch in half and wondered whether a continuous 100mg of Utrogestan for 25 days out of the month would be ok?

I have regular periods and would like to think that would coincide with my 28 / 30 day cycle?

Any thoughts?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 02:51:19 PM »

Put the product name into the search box and read any threads?   Make notes ;-)

Talli

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 07:00:00 PM »

Hello!
I’m feeling a bit like that myself. Day two of one spray of Lenzetto in the day and Utrogestan at night and I feel like I’m going off my head already.
Terrible anxiety (which is suffer with anyway)  headaches and just not feeling like myself :(
Is it possible for it to affect me so quickly? For info I’m 40 with regular periods  :)

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 02:30:25 AM »

Jessbob

Have you have your oestrogen levels checked?  I did and they were off the scale and what's more that was for a woman in her 30's!  So I have cut my evorel patches down to 50 (from 100) and may have to cut further.  I relate to some of the symptoms and it does seem an oestrogen thing. 

I'm interested about the role of histamine, so grateful for this being posted here, I didn't know about this. 

I also get horrible effects from vaginal oestrogen (which I'm trying to incorporate into my regimen very gradually), ringing in the ears, migrainey feelings (not full on), dizziness, postural hypotension etc.

I have also had lots of benefit from my patches, so I think it depends on what your system is doing at the time, apparently our hormones don't just dwindle away gradually but wildly swing from high to low etc, so maybe don't be put off of hrt altogether, it might be really helpful another time.  Or perhaps you can lower the dose right down (but you'd still get some benefit).