Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does this make anyone else angry?  (Read 655 times)

flossie fiddler

Does this make anyone else angry?
« on: February 04, 2024, 10:44:04 AM »

I don’t know if I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, but I’m reading news articles, and I’m so sick of the media reporting “symptoms of perimenopause and menopause, such as hot flushes and night sweats”. It really doesn’t help, does it?

What about the anxiety, vaginal dryness, dry skin, dry EVERYTHING, hair loss, nausea, full body tingling, feelings like needles are being stabbed into arms and legs, full body inflammation, a feeling that you’re dying in the night, brain fog, joint pain and stiffness, weight gain, loss of libido, mood swings…

That’s by no means an exhaustive list, but they were all the symptoms I had. To report the symptoms merely as hot flushes and night sweats just makes me sooooo angry.

Rant over, I think I need another cuppa 😂 Hope you’re all coping 😘

kathryn22

Re: Does this make anyone else angry?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 10:53:16 AM »

Totally agree
I think it’s the fact that words like vagina and dryness are taboo🤣
I think it’s needs a campaign launching forcing more proactive input from the medical professionals more understanding of how complicated a condition it is
I didn’t follow Davina McCalls menopause thing but maybe she should do phase 2 now Shame the medical world into looking for more than the generic medication they offer now We are all different but treated as one Anyone agree??
I’d love a cup of tea .. but would make me sweat and need to pee.. which would aggravate the atrophy which would make me have another anxiety attack ☹️🤦‍♀️ so on it goes. Happy Sunday Ladies

Charliehorse1

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 10:57:58 AM »

Absolutely!

My life has fallen apart. Job loss, loss of identity, full body aches, headaches, joint pain, nausea, digestion problems, anxiety, depression.

And not one hot flush  >:(

WildOtter

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 12:54:09 PM »

All I was told before I had a total hysto and went into surgical menopause was I "might have some hot flushes".   >:(  Consequence was it took literally months to figure out why I was suicidally low, having daily panic attacks, a head full of cotton wall and aching like a 90 year old. Eventually it was my psychologist (not even a medical doctor) who suggested my HRT needed looking at, at which point my GP revealed my blood tests had been showing low oestrogen for months without anyone telling me about it or thinking it might be a problem.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 01:13:41 PM »

I suffered for at least two years with worse and worse anxiety, sleep disturbances, gut issues etc. The only one I thought was peri was the mild hot flushes and I didn't think they were bad enough to need hrt. We are not educated nearly enough on what to expect.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 01:43:32 PM »

Penguin - that has to begin with GPs and Practice Nurses .......... so that when women appear in surgery with various 'odd' symptoms, they can be guided correctly.

Mum told me so that I knew about "The Change" : periods stopped, women got hot flushes but nought else .  I would read the questions to 'Aunty' in the back pages of Mum's magazines and ask the questions  ::)