Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is this vertigo?  (Read 6982 times)

Dierdre

Is this vertigo?
« on: February 03, 2024, 10:08:20 AM »

Woke up this morning, turned over and opened my eyes to the room going round. It only lasted a few seconds and no other symptoms other than a cold might be coming on. Is this anything to worry about? Was scary when it happened.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this vertigo?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 10:13:10 AM »

It's awful.  When I used to suffer I would know B4 I opened my eyes in the morning that the condition was present  >:(.  I dared not move until the risk of nausea went.  It was always after a cold ........... there is medication to stop any nausea, Stugeron I think was prescribed 4 me.

Take it steady!! It should ease once you are upright, if you dare to get out of bed.  Usually it's an inner ear problem, does your nose feel blocked or your ears?

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 01:32:45 PM »

I get this a lot too,it IS scary,sometimes I don't even need to turn my head,it just happens,it runs in my family though but I doubt it's much to worry about but do speak to your Dr,like clkd I take stugeron which you can buy over the counter but do check first  :)

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 04:26:17 PM »

I have earache this morning so it could be inner ear. Also my jaw hurt and noticed my tinnitus today so could have been grinding my teeth during the night which inflames that area. I didn't feel nauseous and was ok when I got up. Never happened before so I'll see if it happens again. It was so weird, I thought I was dreaming at first then realised I was awake and the room was rotating. Felt anxious today now in case it happened when I was driving or out walking. Does it just happen in the morning on waking?

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 04:32:19 PM »

It can be crystals in the ear canal and they can force the fluid to go the wrong way BUT it could be plain old vertigo,I have meniers,that's the reason for mine

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 05:38:09 PM »

Mine usually attacked me as I opened my eyes in the morning.

1 New Year's Eve however, after a 10 day of very heavy cold/cough, I got up to change the TV channel.  WHOOSH - the on-call GP wouldn't believe that I hadn't been drinking,  >:( DH had to drive 7 miles to get medication.  I spent the night laying on a thick sleeping bag on the bathroom floor with a cat curled in the small of my back, purring gently.  I hardly dared to move  :-\

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 04:13:11 AM »

Just woke up at 3.30am and turned my head to the right and it's spinning again, turn to the left and it stops. It's effecting my vision too, had to put on glasses to type, I need reading glasses but can still see without but now it's blurry without them. Also had an headache over my right eye brow last night. Think it's a trip to the doctors on Monday morning.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:42:05 AM by Dierdre »

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 08:03:21 AM »

Do you suffer from migraine? You can have vertigo related to migraine. It could be BPPV which can also cause blurred vision. Let us know how you get on. If it's anything like where I live then the first hurdle will be actually getting an appointment!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 09:27:52 AM »

Make an appt anyway.  If you can't see your GP then mayB make an appt with an audiologist or optician.  Let us know how you get on.  Did a cold develop yet?

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 10:00:43 AM »

Don't suffer from migraines Taz2. I've definately got something going on in my right ear though, tinnitus is noticeable again and  can feel fluid in my eardrum, kind of feel it trickle when I move my head.
I did the Epley Manoeuvre this morning that I found on Youtube. So far so good and also massaged the Eustachian tubes. Headache has gone and vision better than in the night.
I'll see how it is tomorrow, like you say it's if you can get an appointment.

Cold not developed CKLD or I've fought it off.  Probably viral and attacked my inner ear causing fluid etc.

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 10:06:02 AM »

That sounds like the fluid needs to go in the right direction,those exercises are apparently great,the Dr told me about them but said they might make it worse before it got better,so I chickened out and didn't do them lol well done for trying them 🥇

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 12:14:23 PM »

Oh that's no fun. I think the doc definitely needs to see you and actually look in your ear in case it is blocked. I had similar when in Australia and had to put drops in my ears for three days and then have ear syringed. It's all so close to the optic nerve too in terms of getting irritated. Make sure you tell them about your vision.

You mentioned feeling like you had a cold coming on, did it end up developing? For me ear stuff is par for the course with a cold as it all gets inflamed and swollen inside.

Dierdre

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2024, 12:52:17 PM »

No, cold didn't developed but think it might just be a virus in my inner ear. Vision ok now, was blurry after the vertigo in the night.  Will see how it is tomorrow, could take a while for an appointment, then it'll be a phone consultation anyway. If it's viral it should improve in a few days.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2024, 01:55:22 PM »

When I need to see a GP I go to the desk and ask.  Not a problem here.  The question is whether the appt is urgent or am I able to wait 2-3 weeks. 

If U can't see an GP/Nurse Practitioner face2face then book with an audiologist. 

Dierdre

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 03:13:07 PM »

That sounds like the fluid needs to go in the right direction,those exercises are apparently great,the Dr told me about them but said they might make it worse before it got better,so I chickened out and didn't do them lol well done for trying them 🥇

Definately need to try this Epley Manoeuvre jaypo, I've not had another attack of vertigo since doing it yesterday morning. Slept ok and no spinning room this morning. My ear is still not 100% and tinnitus still there but better than before so thinking viral. Apparently vertigo is a new covid symptom, didn't realise that but don't have any tests left and feeling a lot better now.
Pages: [1] 2 3