Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Peri? Feel like I'm dying of exhaustion  (Read 1642 times)

Diamondqueen

• First Flush
Peri? Feel like I'm dying of exhaustion
« on: January 11, 2024, 09:28:38 AM »

Ladies, this forum has helped so much.

I'm a mess. I'm 46 and since summer last year have been suffering from awful drowsiness. Went to private endocrinologist after GPs three times and all is fine. She told me to lose weight (fair enough as I need to) but this persistent drowsiness is making me so down and depressed/anxious it's just making it worse. My periods are shorter/heavier. Last couple of years I've had awful anxiety, worrying and obsessing to the nth degree about any issues in my life. I didn't attribute that to peri at first but wonder if that's what it is. I get quite sinus stuffy sometimes too.

Weird thing is I am not fatigued per se, my body doesn't feel weak. I have had odd moments of dizziness and definitely have brain fog forgetting words etc.

I guess I'm asking if anyone experienced awful sleepiness rather than fatigue as there's a difference  I feel permanently jetlagged and struggling to keep eyes open. I had been very anxious about some personal stuff and the pandemic affected me a lot as I had long covid BUT fatigue was never really my issue there.

I am seeing the GP again in a couple of weeks as I can't function. I don't know if HRT or antidepressants/anxiety is what I need. I feel so frustrated, I want to enjoy my life and family but feel sleepy all the time.

Anyone got any words of wisdom or shared experience?

Diamondqueen

• First Flush
Re: Peri? Feel like I'm dying of exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 09:43:54 AM »

Ladies, this forum has helped so much.

I'm a mess. I'm 46 and since summer last year have been suffering from awful drowsiness. Went to private endocrinologist after GPs three times and all is fine. She told me to lose weight (fair enough as I need to) but this persistent drowsiness is making me so down and depressed/anxious it's just making it worse. My periods are shorter/heavier. Last couple of years I've had awful anxiety, worrying and obsessing to the nth degree about any issues in my life. I didn't attribute that to peri at first but wonder if that's what it is. I get quite sinus stuffy sometimes too.

Weird thing is I am not fatigued per se, my body doesn't feel weak. I have had odd moments of dizziness and definitely have brain fog forgetting words etc.

I guess I'm asking if anyone experienced awful sleepiness rather than fatigue as there's a difference  I feel permanently jetlagged and struggling to keep eyes open. I had been very anxious about some personal stuff and the pandemic affected me a lot as I had long covid BUT fatigue was never really my issue there.

I am seeing the GP again in a couple of weeks as I can't function. I don't know if HRT or antidepressants/anxiety is what I need. I feel so frustrated, I want to enjoy my life and family but feel sleepy all the time.

Anyone got any words of wisdom or shared experience?

I forgot to say that my oestrogen, LH, FSH were all fine in 3 separate blood tests each several months apart, they were all similar values each time so the docs said they're very stable but I know that blood tests are not necessarily the way to diagnose peri. Just didn't seem much fluctuation. That said, I don't know what my usual oestrogen level is so the results could be low for me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 10:05:36 AM »

Morning.  Recently I read that if we R low in VitB12 it may cause intense tiredness as can low VitD levels.

Also it may be the hidden sugars that we eat.  Interesting programme with Dr Mosely earlier this week, who went through a diet plan with an overweight couple.  Physically buying a weekly shop then working through when and how often they drank for example, Diet Coke.  Which has sugar substitutes.

I suggest that you buy your regular items and spread everything onto the table.  Thinking about when you consume and how often. Make a list too - some find that a meal planner helps.  What ever suits your daily life-style. 

The lady in the programme [above] drank 2 glasses of wine every evening = more sugars.  Don't worry about fruit and veg 'sugars' as the body processes those differently.

When I was a child in the 1960s sweets were a treat.  The ice cream van was round 1 evening a week though ice cream wasn't the quality that it is now.  We ate more seasonally and did more exercise.

Don't panic about your weight.  MayB seek the advice of 'weight watchers' who will support, advise and not judge. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 10:07:43 AM »

And yes, all last year my brain didn't want to wake up in the morning  :o.   Once out of bed and active, I felt better.  When we were on holiday and walked more, that brain sleepiness disappeared!

Also, I can no longer remember words etc.. ....... I am 70 and long through hormonal upheavals though I do treat vaginal atrophy.

Depending on where you live, how much sunlight do you access each day which can impact on the brain's activity.  Being 'up there', the brain is often out of sight, out of mind. 

sfreesto

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 10:18:42 AM »

Diamondqueen,

Sounds like classic peri to me. My main symptoms were brain fog and fatigue, with a shortened cycle and heavy periods. HRT was transformational for me, energy and brain function back after about 3 weeks. X

Banjo1973

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 03:59:44 PM »

Hi diamondqueen,

Sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time.

I completely agree with sfreesto, sounds like my experience of peri. I've always worded 3 days a week and on my days off would do nice things and catch up on chores. But with peri all I could do was rest!

Brain fog and anxiety are very common symptoms.

If I were you I would try HRT before any AD meds. HRT gave me energy and much more confidence.

As a bonus I also lost that spare tyre that seemed to suddenly appear.

Good luck xx

Moog77

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 08:38:37 PM »

Can totally relate - this was one of my biggest indicators of peri. Groggy/sleepiness. Horrendous. I still occasionally get it I suspect when my own hormones fluctuate in the background.

Try some HRT - I started just after my 45th birthday (am now 46) - and check Vit D, folate and ferritin levels just incase. Ive found cutting out all alcohol really helpful.

Diamondqueen

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 07:49:22 AM »

Thank you @Moog77, that is really reassuring as no one else has mentioned sleepiness, it felt like I was the only one. I have been prescribed HRT this week! Let's see how it goes. All my bloods were fine for foliate, ferritin and so on. I had 3 rounds of bloods done since last autumn and all fine.

Diamondqueen

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 07:51:07 AM »

Thank you @banjo1973. I have been given HRT now, here's hoping it helps.

Diamondqueen

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 07:53:27 AM »

@CLKD Thanks for your reply. I saw that Michael Mosley show, one guy was drinking 38 pints of coke a week! He was horrified when he saw them all laid out. I am well aware I eat too much sugar and I know it makes me feel better when I don't so am being much more conscious of it recently. That show was very effective!

Diamondqueen

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 07:55:07 AM »

@sfreesto That's amazing, I hope it as effective for me!!

Shorty Pants

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 10:46:44 PM »

I had this several years ago. Went from being extremely active (fell and mountain walking, running, etc) to literally falling asleep at my desk through the day.
GP just wanting to throw HRT and/or Antidepressants at me.
Finally decided to take matters into my own hands. Turns out I was deficient in vits B12, D and also low ferritin. I've had to treat myself  but am just about back to my old self.
I do take HRT, but after many false starts and side effects, I find I get the best results from less than 1/4 Evorel 25 patch.
I'd recommend getting some full bloods and not being satisfied with them saying the results are 'in range'. Get a full print out and check the numbers. I was told in range and my D and ferritin were bumping along the bottom for years.