Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anyone switch from vagifem to blissel ?  (Read 570 times)

Orba

Anyone switch from vagifem to blissel ?
« on: February 18, 2024, 05:44:06 PM »

Hi. I've been using Vagifem twice weekly for years,, including doing a reload dose about a year ago when I suffered a recurrent UTI.
Recently I'm finding it irritates the day after use, my vaginal canal feels sore ( a bit like when a cannestin pessary for thrush is used )
I've done lots of reading up on Blissel and as it's a weaker oestrogen I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Just wondering if anyone made a switch to this and if it helped ?
I did try Ovestin cream but that also irritated.
Maybe my skin is getting thinner so the oestrogen in vagifem is too strong - I'm not sure
Thanks for reading.
I was going to try ask my GP but tbh the ladies on here are more informed !

Joaniepat

Re: Anyone switch from vagifem to blissel ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 08:17:05 PM »

It sounds to me as though you need more oestrogen vaginally rather than less. Two Vagifem a week is not much, many women use more than that and some need it daily. There used to be a 25mcg version of Vagifem and the maintenance dose of that was twice weekly = 50mcg per week as opposed to the 20mcg you've been using. You could try a reload and then reduce cautiously to whatever level keeps you comfortable. I'm not saying Blissel isn't worth a try though, I've no experience of it. Good luck whatever you decide.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 08:21:52 PM »

I agree with Joaniepat.  Get the product into the vagina every night for 2-3 weeks. Initially not too deeply until the soreness improves.  It may be that with the 'ovestin' your vagina was too dry.  Let us know how you get on.

Orba

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 08:23:46 PM »

Hi, I did consider that as well but I'm finding I get urinary frequency a day after insertion as well so my dilemma was if it's the vagifem causing it then do I want to use more but, it could be as you say and I need more especially for the bladder.
All I could do I suppose is up the use first and see what happens. Thanks for your input. It's an ongoing battle this menopause lark !!!

Orba

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 08:25:25 PM »

Thanks CLKD our replies crossed !

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 08:27:30 PM »

Great minds etc..  ;D

Orba

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 02:19:18 PM »

Just a general ask - how often can a reload be done as in at what intervals ?  Or is it not that scientific !!!

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 03:16:31 PM »

Can't really give a straightforward answer to this, because having to do a reload implies to me that the product is not used frequently enough to give an adequate maintenence dose. I would suggest using the product daily for a couple of weeks then reduce to 6 for a week or two. If still comfortable you can try reducing to 5, then 4. If symptoms return, go back to the dose that worked.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 04:04:35 PM »

When ever necessary.  As Joaniepat suggests, if a reload is necessary then the symptoms aren't settled.  When I get lazy I can feel symptoms niggling in my belly button region. 

Let us know how you get on.