Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone take tibolone and oestrogen?  (Read 1339 times)

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
Anyone take tibolone and oestrogen?
« on: January 28, 2024, 02:39:47 PM »

I'm just wondering as the title says. Another lady spoke of her friend in Spain taking both, but I've not found anyone else actually taking it themselves.
I'm on tibolone and it's fantastic for most symptoms, I feel woken up and alive with tibolone, the million little aches and pains and worries are gone, my brain fog is history, but it doesn't stop night sweats and I'm getting a few daytime hot flashes as well now. More as the time since I switched from three pumps of oestrogel increases.

So I have some oestrogel left over and when I use it I feel better and stop sweating.

Anyone else taking both?

My GP is not HRT friendly, she thinks everything about HRT is dangerous and is unwilling to try different things or anything off label. I'm lucky to get anything off her at all, it took some time!

One other thing that oestrogen helps with is when I get up in the morning and I feel very rough before I get my medicines into me, it can take an hour or two for everything to settle down, unless I use oestrogel.

Oestrogel makes me feel great even before my other meds take effect, so I'll use it until I run out and then maybe try to source more.

I had a scan last year and I've a healthy looking uterus with a smooth thin lining perfect for a post menopausal lady.

I bleed approximately every four weeks, it's not perfectly regular and it's not called a period but it is identical to one, it can't be called a period because I'm without a doubt post menopausal by about three years.

I'm of the opinion my body is keeping my lining nicely with this regimen and I'm keen to stay well in general.

Thoughts anyone?

Nas

Re: Anyone take tibolone and oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 08:05:05 PM »

Can you just take oestrogen? If you feel good on it and alleviates symptoms, maybe take that instead? Unless there’s a specific reason you take tibolone on its own?

pastie supper

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 09:55:37 AM »

Can you just take oestrogen? If you feel good on it and alleviates symptoms, maybe take that instead? Unless there’s a specific reason you take tibolone on its own?
Tibolone's fantastic for most symptoms, I feel woken up and alive with tibolone, the million little aches and pains and worries are gone, my brain fog is history. That is why I take tibolone.
I'm not allowed oestrogen on it's own because I have a uterus.
I have no idea why I can't have oestrogen with tibolone as they do in other countries, I asked and got the usual flat "no" with no explanation at all.
Tibolone acts as a progestin but hasn't been trialled for this purpose, they haven't researched most of these medicines. Utrogestan isn't proven to work either, I wish they would explain the difference.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 01:59:45 PM »

It's probably because they know the amount of progestin in tibolone will keep the lining thin for the amount if oestrogen in it, just like conti patches. If you add oestrogen it may not be sufficient. If you do add oestrogen it would be wise to have scans to check it's OK.

pastie supper

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 02:12:59 PM »

It's probably because they know the amount of progestin in tibolone will keep the lining thin for the amount if oestrogen in it, just like conti patches. If you add oestrogen it may not be sufficient. If you do add oestrogen it would be wise to have scans to check it's OK.
Thanks Sheila, I think that is exactly what I'll do. How long is safe between scans? I'm every two years for my heart, so is it about the same? I can book it privately for £145ish, so every year is affordable too. Considering that new drug for hot flashes costs £400 a month while oestrogen isn't all that hard to get, it's a substantially cheaper way to keep dry, lol.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 02:19:28 PM »

I don't really know what's safe. If it was me I'd do the first one at 6 months and see if it's any thicker than at your last scan. You can decide then if you think it's safe to go longer.

pastie supper

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 04:28:13 PM »

The HRT induced periods are heavy and last a full five days. I'm bleeding now, cycle length 24 days, I don't think my lining would get the chance to build up. I had more oestrogen naturally for most of my life and didn't bleed more than this, so the balance seems in my favour.