Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sedative effect of Utrogestan  (Read 4031 times)

FunkyFrankie

Sedative effect of Utrogestan
« on: January 30, 2024, 09:48:00 PM »

Hi hormonal gang
I now have to take two Utrogestan balls (well, they are little white balls!) at bedtime, to protect the womb from my Evorel 100 patches. These pills must be strong sedatives!  I am sleeping so deeply I can barely be roused.  And my dreams are all swirly and hallucinogenic!  Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Violetta808

Re: Sedative effect of Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 10:51:27 PM »

Hi FunkyFrankie

Yes I know what you mean! This is a well-known side effect of Utrogestan apparently. How long have you been taking it for?

I’m also on 2 x 100mg balls - have been for nearly a month. For the first week or so it made me feel incredibly spaced out well into the next day and the dreams were bonkers, some quite disturbing. I tried taking the pills vaginally (off licence) but it didn’t make much difference.

However I seem to have adapted to it (and I’m back to taking it orally now). It still makes me sleepy but I’m ok by the morning, and the weird dreams have stopped.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 06:21:09 AM »

I take vaginally and still get the dreams, you're totally right, they are hallucinogenic. Every single month on my utrogestan days... I do sleep better with them too, although am also hotter which is annoying in summer.

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 07:52:34 AM »

Do you know why it makes us hotter? Is it a hormonal thing maybe? I wondered if it was a sign I need more oestrogen?

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 08:16:49 AM »

Utrogesran is thermogenic apparently, as are a number of progrsterones. I was told on here by someone l, can't remember who, that the only one that isn't thermogenic is Dydrogesterone, but it is only available combined with estrogen. It used to be separate apparently but is no longer. And I think in some other countries you can get it separately but not the UK.

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 08:18:42 AM »

I found that doubling my estrogel from 1 pump to 2 pumps this last month really reduced the effects of the utrogrstan. I felt nowhere near as hot as usual. Plus my sleep wasn't as heavy but I still got good sleep, albeit with crazy dreams. I do think there is something about the ratio between the two being important, at least it has been for me this month.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 08:20:01 AM »

And by doubling the estrogen, I meant just on the 12 utrogestan days, I am now back to usual lower dose. Still had the horrible few days while my body gets used to the progesterone withdrawal though.

Gnatty

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 11:35:43 AM »

That's very interesting Penguin. It's something I have considered doing myself - upping the gel to see if it counters the heat in the night from the utrogestan.

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 11:48:07 AM »

That's very interesting Penguin. It's something I have considered doing myself - upping the gel to see if it counters the heat in the night from the utrogestan.

I ended up doing 1 pump as soon as I wake around 6am (as I usually feel dreadful and anxious then and it knocks it on the head quite quickly) then the second pump late morning.  I've never felt estrogel lasts a full 24 hours for me even though supposedly it is meant to be in a steady state in your blood after 5 days of use. So slightly splitting the dose means I defo get past the nighttime dip. It has defo made a difference this month as I managed the whole 12 days at full 2 x 100mg utrogestan - hadn't achieved that since last June!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 03:44:57 PM »

Utrogestion for me makes me sleep around 3/4  hours, then I'm in a sleepy tossing and turning mode for the rest of the night.
The dreams are unreal. I had no idea.
This morning was the first time I felt really tired until lunch time. Then it wore off. I can deal with that. It's my other problem on another post that's causing me issues.

Xx

Gnatty

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 06:45:36 PM »

Thanks Penguin, I shall add an extra little bit this evening and see.  I will report back!

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024, 01:22:03 PM »

Just wanted to say thank you to all the lovely ladies who replied. X

CapriCapri

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 05:50:04 PM »

This is interesting.  I have been on Utrogestan (12 days on/12 days off) for almost a year and at first they gently helped me fall asleep but the dreams are getting more and more vivid and really disturbing and last for a few days after the 12 days.  I'm fed up of it and am waiting for a medial appointment to try something else.  I'll try Penguin's advice for now and keep my fingers crossed.  Thank you all for your support (I'm sorry you are all struggling but kind of relived that it's not just me)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 07:54:44 AM by CapriCapri »

princesstina7

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 09:02:38 AM »

And by doubling the estrogen, I meant just on the 12 utrogestan days, I am now back to usual lower dose. Still had the horrible few days while my body gets used to the progesterone withdrawal though.
Can I ask more about this? Im 4 days off of utrogestan and I feel anxiety twitchy and nauseous. Is this normal and does it settle?

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 05:52:08 PM »

Can I ask more about this? Im 4 days off of utrogestan and I feel anxiety twitchy and nauseous. Is this normal and does it settle?

Progesterone withdrawal is a well-known phenomenon and is part of classic pms many of experienced during our reproductive years. Yes it should settle. That's why I have a long cycle because I don't like the withdrawal nor taking Utrogestan itself.

Yes to the weird dreams, I have only ever used it vaginally and still get really tired, foggy headed and very vivid dreams, plus nocturnal bladder emptying. Annoyingly, now I'm older - I sleep a lot more deeply anyway so when I take Utro - it gets even worse and is the last straw.

Funnily enough I have been talking on this forum about how some women increase their oestrogen dose when on the Utrogestan phase of their cycle - to counter the increase in sweats etc that can occur, but I've never though of doing it myself to see if I can somehow counter the horrible side effects I get.

I found that doubling my estrogel from 1 pump to 2 pumps this last month really reduced the effects of the utrogrstan. I felt nowhere near as hot as usual. Plus my sleep wasn't as heavy but I still got good sleep, albeit with crazy dreams. I do think there is something about the ratio between the two being important, at least it has been for me this month.

So you've just given me an idea Penguin and no idea why I haven't thought of it before ( probably because I'm on a longer cycle and have had a couple of episodes of thickened endometrium, but maybe next cycle I might use a whole 75 mcg patch without cutting it down to 62.5 mcg which is my daily dose :)

Hurdity x