Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sertraline withdrawal symptoms since stopping HRT???  (Read 487 times)

millervivienne

• First Flush
Sertraline withdrawal symptoms since stopping HRT???
« on: January 30, 2024, 06:01:58 PM »

Hi, I’ve been on various forms of HRT for quite a few years. Had to stop it a few weeks ago due to high BP. I’ve been on sertraline for a few years too, but this isn't necessarily menopause related as I’ve been on SSRIs (off and on) for around 40 years. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but since around the time I stopped HRT, I’ve been feeling some withdrawal effects regarding the sertraline, usually around teatime and I take it first thing. I’ve never experienced ‘brain shocks’ apart from when I’m trying to reduce SSRI doses. I’m a bit reluctant to discuss with GP as when I was coming off SSRIs in the past, I was told there were no withdrawals effects, despite my experiencing brain zaps and feeling quite unwell. It’s only in recent years that these have become ‘acceptable’ withdrawal symptoms. Obviously I’ve googled it but can see nothing about this symptom whilst on a regular dose of sertraline. I’m not trying to cut it down, I’m on 100mg per day at the mo. Also I have been having very vivid and/or upsetting dreams, as well as being unable to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time without waking up bright as a button. Anyway I will seek medical advice, but just wondered if anyone had these symptoms whilst not reducing dose, and was wondering if it may have to do with stopping HRT. In the meantime, I might try splitting the dose morning and evening.

Thank you !!! 🤩

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sertraline withdrawal symptoms since stopping HRT???
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 06:09:48 PM »

I get brain zaps. 

Try taking 50mg x 2 rather than 100mg at once?   

Which HRT had you been prescribed?  It may be worthwhile speaking with a pharmacist who can make enquiries if necessary. 

millervivienne

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 07:33:57 PM »

Hi CKLD, are you on a steady dose of sertraline? I’ve never had this before when on a regular dose of SSRIs. I will try splitting the dose. I’ve had several incarnations of HRT, the last was supposed not to affect my BP but it’s still high. I’m in the process of trying to get it down, but I was a bit fed up re my sweats anyway, so had stopped just before I was told I’d have to stop for my BP. None of my various types of HRT seemed to stop me sweating like a navvy! Was so embarrassing. However, since I’ve stopped it all, I ‘just’ get fairly brief hot flushes which are much easier to deal with.

I can live with the flushes but the brain zaps and weird dreams/poor sleep are rather annoying.

Thanks for responding, I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one before going back to GP. Anyone else I’d be glad to hear from🤩☺️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 07:36:59 PM »

I take another AD.  I've had weird, long, involved dreams for years  ::)

MayB put the drug name into the search box to see if any1 else has had symptoms?