Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a 'cut off point' for symptoms after stopping hrt  (Read 900 times)

discogirl

Is there a 'cut off point' for symptoms after stopping hrt
« on: January 29, 2024, 01:34:08 PM »

I'll try not to make this long winded.

I stopped hrt in November 2023, I wondered if there was a sort of 'cut off ' point whereby after that point if you have problems such as anxiety, sleep issues they are less likely to be connected to the stopping of the hrt.

I mean, I read online that hrt is usually out of our system within a few days to a few weeks.

Just wanting a bit of information really. Thanks x

DottyD68

Re: Is there a 'cut off point' for symptoms after stopping hrt
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 01:54:22 PM »

I stopped HRT at beginning of November with a view of giving it 3 months to see how I got on and my own body a chance to settle without it. Month 1 was fine. Month 2 saw an increase in old and new symptoms (insomnia, night sweats/chills, palpitations, anxiety, Panic, low mood, muscle aches). I have stuck it out for month 3 but no improvement disappointingly, so have resumed HRT on a low dose. I am assuming these symptoms are menopausal symptoms that were less intense when I was on HRT.

Not sure if thst helps x

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 07:26:53 AM »

Hi DottyD68

It's pretty grim isn't it.

My sleep has started to be a bit hitty missy now, but the anxiety has been awful.

My problem with restarting hrt is the progesterone side of it. I had abnormal heavy bleeding and my womb lining was very thick. The biopsy was fine and the bleeding stopped once I'd stopped the hrt. The gynae dept have suggested a coil but I know that I wouldn't cope with a coil.

I hope you settle quickly on your hrt again and thanks for replying x

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 07:52:05 AM »

Hi if you stop hrt and old symptoms come back then it’s likely that you need oestrogen. I’ve heard of some ladies having an instant return of symptoms and others were the symptoms come back gradually over a longer period. And then there are ladies who never have a return of symptoms. x

kathryn22

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 08:03:36 AM »

Morning disco girl
When my GP took me off my patches It was like falling off a cliff without a parachute!! Every symptom came back with vengeance and I had the worst few years. I was told I couldn’t go back on and should have been told it would happen when I stopped. Ironically, the GP also said I had probably only need to have the HRT adjusted rather than stopped
So have a good think if you really want to stop and why HRT can now be taken for as long as you want or need. Also there are other conditions that may appear. Have a look at the Vaginal Atrophy threads on here ..one of  The most horrendous life altering things that  can occur due to lack of oestrogen

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 08:37:54 AM »

I stopped hrt a couple of months ago and within 5 days felt I'd aged 10 years, and anxiety was off the scale so started back on it again.
I take the progesterone sequentially and get a withdrawal effect from that too (massive anxiety, upset tummy etc), but find I feel normal again about 5-6 days after stopping.
The symptoms you describe sound like low estrogen so chances are you probably still need the hrt although,  if I remember rightly, you struggle with utrogestan and had a lining build up with cyclogest? It may mot help you but my utrogestan days have been better this month when I doubled my estrogel to 2 pumps. Didn't impact me nearly as much as when I was on 1 pump.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 08:58:01 AM »

It was a gradual return of symptoms for me and by the end of the third month after stopping all of them had returned. I have never found that HRT helped with my anxiety symptoms though

Taz x

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 10:54:58 AM »

Hi Taz2

My anxiety feels a little worse off it but I never felt really fantastic on the hrt either. The utro made me feel like this to be honest.

Hopefully these symptoms will lessen as time goes by.

Did you go back onto your original hrt regime x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 11:22:35 AM »

Yes I did as it got rid of the awful sweats, muscle aches etc. and helped with my pelvic floor/prolapses. I only came off it because a locum doctor decided I'd been on it long enough.

There are quite a few on here who do have to use an anti depressant alongside HRT to help with the anxiety and low mood. Finding the right progesterone helps too of course.

Taz x

discogirl

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 01:13:24 PM »

Hi Taz

These out of date doctors cause so much trouble for us ladies.

Im glad your back on the hrt and i hope you continue to improve x

lillith112

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 03:28:02 PM »

I've been off HRT for nearly 3 months now due to needing blood tests for a pituitary tumour.
I can't really say I've noticed much difference at all, my sleep has always been horrendous. In fact I wonder if I was even absorbing the HRT 🤔 I'm 51.

discogirl

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 03:33:21 PM »

Hi lillith112

My sleep used to be brilliant. It takes time i guess getting accustomed to the 'new me'

I have a cyst on my left ovary which is ok at the minute but without a good progesterone that suits me which i cant find at the minute im off the hrt

I hope your blood tests come back good relating to your pituitary tumour x

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 04:42:54 PM »

I stopped hrt in November 2023, I wondered if there was a sort of 'cut off ' point whereby after that point if you have problems such as anxiety, sleep issues they are less likely to be connected to the stopping of the hrt.

I mean, I read online that hrt is usually out of our system within a few days to a few weeks.

. I am thinking of experimenting with a reduction to half patches and later complete just to see how it goes. I am not going to tell the GP initially because I want to keep some stock of patches in case I need to resume.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 09:49:39 AM »

Is there a reason why you haven't tried tibolone?

I can't stand progesterone, I'd be too afraid of killing myself on the spur of the moment if I take progesterone, it's absolutely mind altering for me, dunno why.

So I'm once again on tibolone and really happy on it. When I stopped it certainly wasn't my decision, the usual "what is dangerous and what isn't" confusion meant they stopped the prescriptions for nine months.

It is given to women who find progesterone intolerable but still need HRT, you don't need a progestin with tibolone as it has actions from all three major sex hormones without any mood lowering effects at all, in fact the opposite, it can be used as an antidepressant off label.

I really recommend you try it, especially if anxiety is a problem. I sleep like a baby now too, utrogestan kept me far too wired for sleep!

discogirl

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 02:15:02 PM »

. I am thinking of experimenting with a reduction to half patches and later complete just to see how it goes. I am not going to tell the GP initially because I want to keep some stock of patches in case I need to resume.

Hi Katejo

Good luck with the reduction on your patches I hope it goes well x
Pages: [1] 2