Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Blood in urine dipstick and very word  (Read 716 times)

Patchsmama

Blood in urine dipstick and very word
« on: January 27, 2024, 09:52:57 AM »

Hello everyone.
Sorry so many posts recently.  I’ve had what I thought was VA flare up for the past 3 weeks, burning, feeling like I need to pass urine more frequently and burning after I do. Saw GP who said to increase Vagifem to daily for 2 weeks. I also had two courses of Nitrofurantoin but still the same. Spoke to GP again this week and has now sent off a sample to the lab, finally.  She has also changed Vagifem to Ovestin, nightly for three weeks, internally and externally.

Yesterday I had a call to start Nitrofurantoin again!  They haven’t got the results back yet but a different GP went in symptoms. I don’t think they looked at my records. 

So I did a home dipstick and this showed blood. I am now worrying my head off as I’m pretty sure it’s not a uti.  My dad had bladder cancer so this is at the back of my mind.  They said to call mid week to check the results. Can anyone offer any reassurance, please?  I’m struggling to eat or think of anything else at the moment. Xx

Ayesha

Re: Blood in urine dipstick and very word
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 10:18:55 AM »

Anxiety is ruling your brain at the moment and making you think illogically. You just need to wait for the results and at least you are in the system and being looked after. Home tests are not that great and can mislead. Make sure they know your family history and try not to worry, I know easier said than done! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 10:20:02 AM »

I would ignore the GP who suggests using ABs until the correct one is prescribed if your sample 'grows' a bug. 

When I get symptoms of VA I put a dose of 'ovestin' up mid-afternoon and another at night, then continue every night for as long as it takes to ease symptoms.  I also swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day for 2 days to ease the nip as the urine flows stops.

When U say 'blood' on dipstick how much is there?  Would it fill a sanitary towel or are there 'traces'?  Did your Dad discuss his symptoms?

Whilst ABs will ease symptoms they won't replace the oestrogen and eventually ABs, due to over prescribing, will stop working. 

Patchsmama

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 10:24:48 AM »

I would ignore the GP who suggests using ABs until the correct one is prescribed if your sample 'grows' a bug. 

When I get symptoms of VA I put a dose of 'ovestin' up mid-afternoon and another at night, then continue every night for as long as it takes to ease symptoms.  I also swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day for 2 days to ease the nip as the urine flows stops.

When U say 'blood' on dipstick how much is there?  Would it fill a sanitary towel or are there 'traces'?  Did your Dad discuss his symptoms?

Whilst ABs will ease symptoms they won't replace the oestrogen and eventually ABs, due to over prescribing, will stop working.

Thanks again CLKD.
there is no visible blood at all. There was +2 on the dipstick.  I know I have to wait but you know what it’s like. 🙄. Dad was so long ago but I seem to remember he had uti symptoms and was treated with antibiotics without effect.  So he was sent for a cystoscopy.

Do you know how long the Ovestin will take work?  After 4 years of successfully using Vagifem it’s disappointing.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 10:26:42 AM »

4 me the VA treatment began to ease symptoms within the week.  Some find that 'vagifem' internally and 'ovestin' or a moisturiser on the outer labia helps.  It's Trial and Error!

Yours worries are understandable.  I would throw those dipsticks away  ;). Get some pain relief down you !

Patchsmama

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 10:27:38 AM »

Anxiety is ruling your brain at the moment and making you think illogically. You just need to wait for the results and at least you are in the system and being looked after. Home tests are not that great and can mislead. Make sure they know your family history and try not to worry, I know easier said than done!

Thank you Ayesha. I am terrible for health anxiety and this past year has been a really tough time.  I lost one of my best friends recently, quickly, plus this week my dear godmother told me she is having a mastectomy. It’s hard trying to put a cheerful face on for the family. Xx

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 10:46:06 AM »

I think if you have va it can show traces of blood in the urine?

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 12:15:34 PM »

I have VA and always show traces of microscopic blood in urine. It's very common and is in my notes. Sorry to hear about your dad. No wonder your anxiety is high. Do you have any bladder cancer symptoms?

Taz x

Patchsmama

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 12:28:50 PM »

I have VA and always show traces of microscopic blood in urine. It's very common and is in my notes. Sorry to hear about your dad. No wonder your anxiety is high. Do you have any bladder cancer symptoms?

Taz x

Thank you Taz. That is reassuring. I don’t think so. To be honest, it feels exactly how it did when I first started with VA to be honest.  Like a UTI but with burning down there.  The burning feels better when the areas exposed to the air … sorry tmi xx

Patchsmama

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 12:29:49 PM »

I think if you have va it can show traces of blood in the urine?

Thank you Sheila.  I saw similar on the VA fb page. Lots of people saying so, so I hope it might be sort of normal xx