Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Brown discharge  (Read 751 times)

Mummytron

Brown discharge
« on: January 27, 2024, 11:25:07 AM »

Hi all,
Can anyone advise please?
History is I'm 48 and been in perimenopause for a good few years. Gone from missing periods for 3 months to back to a regular monthly. Of late its been every 35 days and really heavy, flooding periods.
I started my period 2 weeks ago and had 1 day of flooding and the rest was manageable. But I havent really finished it, after the main period I've been having brown stringy discharge every day. There's also a bit of odour to it. I also feel a bit of dragging ache in my lower area if that makes sense.
Is this just a lack of hormones? I am due a GP appt so I will mention it of course. It has just worried me a bit today.
Thanks in advance.

sheila99

Re: Brown discharge
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 01:08:12 PM »

I've had days of brown old blood both at the start and end of a period but not with a smell that I noticed or ache. Probably wise to see the gp just  to be sure though perhaps the ache is period related?

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 01:22:54 PM »

If there's any odour I would defo see the GP as could be an infection.
I've also had brown discharge at start and end of a period which has lingered for around 10 days. GP checked and said there was no fresh blood and was just a long period with dryness slowing what was coming out.
You couldn't have possibly left a tampon up there could you? I'm sure someone posted about something similar recently and that would cause a smell...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 02:11:57 PM »

I often had a brown discharge: I would have very heavy, clotty period for 10-ish days, then a 2 day break B4 the brown staining for 24 hours.  Normal for me.  Probably due to not enough hormone to cleanse the womb completely, brown is blood that has been 'stuck.

However if there is an odour i.e. fishy, then it may be an infection or simply the old blood becoming stuck.  The GP/Nurse should take a swab to check.