Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Breast pain Voltarol  (Read 1802 times)

Dazedandconfused

Breast pain Voltarol
« on: January 25, 2024, 10:55:29 AM »

Hi All,

Any advice appreciated :)

After restarting HRT (Mirena and Estrogel 2 pumps) at the beginning of November after a break of a month (due to investigations re bleeding - which were all fine and had Mirena fitted to help Progesteron absorption) , I developed very tender boobs in month two - which I was expecting.  However, they are still extremely painful, (now in month 3), and now more so the nipples.  I was hoping things would have begun to settle by now but no sign of that. 

I've been taking Starflower oil, 1000mg capsules with 20% GLA, for nearly two years and it didn't help the pain the first time on HRT, or this time.  I've read that you can use volterol to reduce pain.  Has anyone tried this and does it work?  Also do you have to avoid nipples when you put it on?   

I've put one link below but there are lots of mentions of it online.

Quote: "NSAID (Ibuprofen/Voltarol) gel.  Applying to the painful area of the breast can be helpful and provides quicker relief than taking Starflower Oil

Link here:  https://rightdecisions.scot.nhs.uk/media/2234/mastalgia.pdf

In the meantime, I'm reducing the gel down to 1.5 pumps to see if that helps and keep my fingers crossed the night sweats and aching joints don't return.  I'm not too keen on this burning nipple sensation all the time! 
I've also got a mammogram in a couple of weeks, can't even imagine how painful that might be if they're still like this! 
:boobs:

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:05:31 AM by Dazedandconfused »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Breast pain Voltarol
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 12:13:00 PM »

I don't think that alternatives help with hormone upheavals.  Otherwise they would be on the NHS.  Is 'voltarol' a cream?  I was advised not to put anything on the nipples although Mums that breast feed have cream to apply gently.

See how the breasts are after reducing: sometimes it's Trial and Error to avoid painful symptoms, U may find that 1.5 is fine now that your body has had some replacement input.

Let us know.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 12:17:10 PM »

I'd stick to the estrogen reduction first. Pain at the front of breasts and particularly that horrible nipple burning pain/ sensitivity is usually due to high estrogen so you may well see a difference in a week or so.

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 12:25:45 PM »

Thanks CLKD and Penguin  :)  Hopefully things will calm down a bit on the reduced gel and my boobs won't feel like they're being  :bbq: 

CLKD, yes, Voltarol is a cream/gel NSAID - an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen but with diclofenac instead.   I've successfully used it for back pain but despite a lot of medical articles (including NHS) suggesting it can be used topically to relieve breast pain, I've never heard of anyone using it so was just inquisitive.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 01:55:29 PM »

A small amount is all that is necessary?  What does it say on the packet?

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 02:07:14 PM »

CLKD, that's the thing.  There's nothing on the packet or info about using or not using it on breasts - unless you're breastfeeding - in which case it says not to use it at all. 

However, it is mentioned as something to use on the breasts on a lot of medical sites (including NHS ones) in relation to HRT/breast pain and breast pain in general, very strange.

When I've used it on my back it's only been a tiny blob.  I'm not thinking of trying it for my boobs just yet but I was interested to see if anyone had tried it as I'd never heard of this. 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 03:56:09 PM »

It's not a drug that I am familiar with so let us know how you get on. 

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 10:51:57 AM »

Hi ladies, just an update. 

Over the past week I've dropped the gel to 1.5 pumps and then to 1 pump.  So far, no return of any symptoms and breast pain is easing - not gone yet but certainly better - so keeping fingers crossed one pump will work.

I know I need something as when I had a month off HRT in October last year, all the symptoms came back with a vengence after about three weeks.  Maybe I just need less now than I did last year to keep things at bay.

Hoping the breast pain eases even more before my mammogram next week (which of course I am now worrying like mad about :stupid:) and there's not too much ouch!

As for the Voltarol, I didn't try it so can't add anything to that.