Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is synthetic HRT really that bad?  (Read 610 times)

Nanookster

Is synthetic HRT really that bad?
« on: February 01, 2024, 12:59:45 PM »

Hello everyone!

My gynaecologist has just switched my HRT from Bijuve (continuous combined body identical estrogen and progesterone) to a different one (continuous combined) that is made up of Dienogest and Estradiol valerat). He's done this because of potential absorption issues etc.

I've read online that research studies have shown that there's a higher risk of blood clots, stroke, and certain cancers etc with synthetic HRT. Is this true?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, as I'm really hesitant to start taking it!

Thank you in advance.

laszla

Re: Is synthetic HRT really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 01:35:05 PM »

Yes that is true, virtually all the risk factors derive from non body identical forms of HRT.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 02:16:21 PM »

The risk is higher, but as they keep saying in the podcasts, double a very small risk is still a very small risk. Smoking, obesity etc are worse risks than synthetic HRT or the combined pill.
The most important thing your doctor will want is to resolve your symptoms, if it does that I'd stick with it.

Nanookster

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 10:53:23 AM »

The risk is higher, but as they keep saying in the podcasts, double a very small risk is still a very small risk. Smoking, obesity etc are worse risks than synthetic HRT or the combined pill.
The most important thing your doctor will want is to resolve your symptoms, if it does that I'd stick with it.

Thanks for this - I've been reading more about the risks and they do some very, very low in comparison to drinking alcohol, smoking etc.